Thinning Fur

Guest AceyGrey

Guest AceyGrey

Hi Guys

Recently Ace has started to get what looks like thinning patches of fur on his belly (he has quite a furry belly compared to some other greyhounds I've seen) and a little thinning on his legs.

The rest of his fur and skin has improved hugely since we first got him and he had dry, flaky skin. Now he has lovely skin, and a smooth shiny spotty coat.

I know bald bottoms are common on greyhounds.

Does thinning fur come as they age? Or might it be where he's been lying on the same side of his body all the time as the thinning seems to be more on one side than the other?

If I brush him more will this encourage hair re-growth?

It could be he lays on those areas more than others. Has he been wearing coats? Those could rub some areas bald as well.

Is his skin at all red or irritated? If not, and the ready of his fur is looking good, I'd just keep san eye on him. If he starts losing more hair or the skin starts to have a problem, he needs to see the vet.

Guest AceyGrey

Nope, no irritation or redness.

He does wear a coat on these freezing UK days, so this may have caused the thinning of the hair (for some reason I hadn't even considered this - how silly!)

I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks :)