Car Restraints

Guest OurLacyandJax

Whew. That makes for some scary viewing..So basically, no harnesses exist that might save a dog. The first one is about the only one that provided some protection, but at the cost of internal injuries.

I think a crate with safety airbags is about the only way for some chance of escaping injury or death.

Guest wylie_coyote

WOW!!!!

I have always wondered if they would really work guess I know now. A dog lying in a crate that is restrained may be that would work better? I am worried every time we take our dogs somewhere already. I want to start putting my back seat up in the truck and create a false floor out of pillows for them. When in the truck this would put them lower then I would be sitting so maybe that would be safest I don't know. I guess we should just walk everywhere!

I'm always worried about crashes with my girls in the car. But I can't fit 3 crates in the car, and there is no really good way to restrain all three in the back. I have only two seatbelts and as the video showed, none of the harnesses worked.

Maybe I should just bubble wrap them before I put them in the car.

WOW!!!!

I have always wondered if they would really work guess I know now. A dog lying in a crate that is restrained may be that would work better? I am worried every time we take our dogs somewhere already. I want to start putting my back seat up in the truck and create a false floor out of pillows for them. When in the truck this would put them lower then I would be sitting so maybe that would be safest I don't know. I guess we should just walk everywhere!

Accidents can happen anywhere, don't stop living fully or letting your dogs live fully because an accident "may" happen.

Summer and I have been in a car accident. Thankfully, just the one. And also thankfully, no one got hurt. I was driving a car at the time (a Buick Century) and, based on the way this particular situation unfolded, I was very very glad that I had the back seat down. If she had been on the regular back seat with open foot wells, I believe she would have been severely injured if not outright killed. As it was, she just slid forward into the back of the passenger seat and no harm was done. Summer always travels lying down, for which I am also thankful.

My car was written off, though. But I don't care -- my dog was fine!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

When I drove a car I had a backseat hammock so Summit couldn't fall into the foot wells. Could he have become a projectile and come through between the driver and passenger seats? Probably.

Now I have a truck and I LOVE it. Not only is it a safer vehicle in general (except for the higher roll over risk...) but the dogs are down on the floor. Other than the first couple of minutes when we start driving they are laying down. I think their risk is much reduced riding back there than in my previous vehicle. Right now the puppy is still small enough that she mostly rides in a crate in the backseat anyway.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I've got car harnesses for both my dogs. I've never expected that the harnesses would save them in a serious (or even not-so-serious) accident. I drive a very small 18-year-old car, with no room for crates, and if we have an actual accident, we're all going to be in trouble.

But the harnesses keep the dogs from being thrown forward when I have to brake, keep the dogs from climbing into my lap or getting under my feet, and keep the dogs in the car until I unbuckle them when I get where we're going and open the car doors. That's a tremendous amount of peace-of-mind when I'm behind the wheel.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest blueberri

I got a harness for my boy, thinking it was the responsible thing to do, keeping him safe etc etc.

He hated it, would get tangled in it, and to cater for his height I had to loosen the strap so that it allowed a lot of movement. I figured we'd learn, cope, and kinda tough bikkies as long as it kept him safe...

That was until the darn thing came undone with no more than a tug from Sparky. I was able to replicate this myself (thinking maybe he'd stood on the seatbelt release button)... so it was worse than useless, because of him tangling in it.

As a direct result, we purchased an SUV, and Sparks now has the boot all to himself. Yes there is the potential for injury, but in a routine fender bender he would most likely slide and bump/bang against the back of the seats, or boot door interior. Both of which are pretty reasonable.

I also have a 'hammock' for the back seat, preventing them from falling down into the foot space.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Its sad that there isn't a standard set yet.

I don't expect great things from our car harnesses in a crash, but they do prevent the dogs leaping out the car which could equally be fatal. We couldn't fit 2 crates in our current car, going to look into the more heavy duty car ones for future car as that seems the safest option available, though they seem pricey.

Edited by moofie