Is It Possible To Be Allergic To Frontline?

Guest FrankieWylie

Guest FrankieWylie

And not just frontline, but other tick/flea preventatives as well?

In November, we didn't treat the dogs because it was the month of stitches and what not and by the time we thought about it we were well into the month. All month they went without fleas or tick AND there was ZERO scratching/licking by any of them. Sweet!

December rolls around and we bathe and treat them. Now Charlie and Magic both are all over themselves licking and scratching. But mostly licking. I thought it could be the fact that they got a bath, but they didn't get bathed in September or October and we had the same problem.

Is it possible that they don't handle the treatment well? We are sure there were no fleas because Magic is allergic to flea bites and one bite sends him into extreme itching mode.

Just wondering if we need to look into an alternative to the preventative we use.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Dante was allergic to it. He developed a raised red area where the frontline was applied. He lost fur from that area, too. Needless to say, we didn't use it again! I would use the Hartz spray instead and would check him carefully. He did get Lyme's Disease, though, anyway.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I don't see why not--they are pesticides.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest FrankieWylie

Thanks!

I just thought it was weird. Perhaps it's completely not related. But, truly, the month of November they didn't have ANY itching or scratching or licking. We are always pretty aware of that stuff because of Magic's flea bite allergy.

Guess we will start looking for something else :)

I experienced excessive scratching etc. with Advantix. It was terrible. Reba (the maligator) was pumb miserable for the month until the Advantix wore off. Won't use it again. Contacted manufacturer to find out if there was any way to wash it off and there apparently isn't-they just blew me off. Then I found out it was a common side effect. Won't use that again! I have however used Frontline Plus for years on my mixed breed without incident though. IMO some dogs are just sensitive to some spot on's. I don't use spot on's on my hounds. I think hounds have a tendency to be sensitive and I seek to avoid any negative expereinces. I have used Frontline & Advantage on foster hounds without incident though. They really are potent chemicals-no wonder.

Edited by racindog