Jax And His High Liver Alt Values.

Guest OurLacyandJax

Guest OurLacyandJax

So with how Lacy's low platelet numbers being discovered completely by chance, I wanted to take a more proactive role in figuring things out in our 9.5 year old boy Jax. So I ordered a CBC etc. The two things that were out of whack in his panel were his ALT and AST values

ALT - 771 (with a ref value between 12 and 118)

AST - 93 ( should be 15-88)

So my vet asked me if I he is on something. No. the only thing he is on is Prednisolone Acetate solution eye drops for his pannus and some Cosequin for his joints and that too rather sporadically.

So he is now on Denamarin for 14 days and a recheck at that time.

Anyone had any experiences here with such high values, esp ALT? Are these bad/dangerous? Any side effects to Denamarin I should be aware of?

The liver is the organ that 'filters' the blood and processes anything ingested or absorbed that might be harmful, such as chemicals, toxins, bacteria, etc. This happens as a normal part of the liver's function on a daily basis, and sometimes the liver has to handle things that cause minor, temporary damage to it. An elevated ALT simply means that some liver cells have been damaged, and it may or may not be anything serious.

If it was a temporary issue and there is no ongoing liver problem, the level will come back down once the enzymes is clear the bloodstream. And since the liver is an organ with the ability to regenerate itself, there are usually no lasting consequences to mild, acute insults. In a dog who is acting fine and not showing any symptoms, I will often just recheck the ALT in 3-4 weeks (which is how long it usually takes for the level to come down) to see what the trend is and determine whether further work up or treatment is necessary. But Denamarin is a safe product, so it won't hurt to try that first either.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Good thoughts for you Jax. You don't need this right now.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest OurLacyandJax

Thanks Jennifer and Kyle. I did consult with OSU - and Dr.Kellogg suggested the same route, and to do an ultrasound if the numbers don't show improvement.

What would be the symptoms I should be looking for a failing liver? Lack of appetite, lethargy, etc?

Guest OurLacyandJax

It's on the low side of the range at 0.1 - at least on the generic range.

This has got me thinking - is there a sticky here with the expected values of every thing for a greyhound? I am aware of Dr Stack's page etc.. but is there a quick reference guide in GT?

They don't list the value for bilirubin on any of the pages that I've checked. Lucky's is very high 5.4.

I don't think there is a reference on GT.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

The range from Antech panel for Tot Bilirubin is 0.1 - 0.3. I am asking OSU for a definite answer.

How is Lucky holding up, btw?

He's hanging in there. We go to check his bilirubin tonight. He has malignant hyperthermia so the vet visit concerns me.

I'm waiting for the biopsy results but in my gut, I know it's HSA.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

The range from Antech panel for Tot Bilirubin is 0.1 - 0.3. I am asking OSU for a definite answer.

How is Lucky holding up, btw?

He's hanging in there. We go to check his bilirubin tonight. He has malignant hyperthermia so the vet visit concerns me.

I'm waiting for the biopsy results but in my gut, I know it's HSA.

He most likely has Non-malignant hyperthermia. Fingers crossed his path report will come back clean!

http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/446/Making_Sense_of_Blood_Work_in_Greyhounds.pdf

Does this help?

Guest OurLacyandJax

Yes, in touch with Dr.Kellogg. At this point, she is on my email speed dial #1. :-)

She sent over a really nice PDF for the expected greyhound blood work values, written by Dr Couto et al.

If we do not have a sticky here already for that, I can upload it somehow.

I'm doing this from memory of more then 10 years ago... If the bilirubins are normal it's not liver "failure" but liver "toxicity" meaning the liver has been insulted/injured somehow but is not failing. My IG had an ALT of 1145 with normal bilis, a slightly elevated AST and normal GGT. She had been on long term Flagyl for suspected IBD which she does not appear to have and after several years of Milk Thistle and Sam-E (before Nutramax labs packaged them in to a convenient single pill) her liver labs have been normal for probably 6-7 years. She did have two series of Bile Acid studies, I can't remember how far apart. The pre-bile was elevated on the first sample, likely due to stress and normal on the post sample. The second test was completely normal.

Something, some med maybe, has made his liver mad. Don't ignore it, but don't panic yet either. Give it time. :)

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana