Alternative Kibble

Guest FinnsMom

Guest FinnsMom

For those wanting to feed raw but are put off by the cost or not enough freezer space to buy in large quantities when sales are on, here's another alternative.

Sort of like a raw kibble. No additives, preservatives, and no "meal".

http://carna4.com/

Edited by FinnsMom

Guest DragonflyDM

I have seen something like this at the Pet Stores and it seemed extremely expensive for a dog the size of a greyhound, when I can get chicken for $0.99 to $1.99/lbs.

Guest FinnsMom

I have no idea on the price as they don't actually sell it here in Barrie. LOL I'd have to drive to a small town about 25 minutes away to buy it. I was told about it at my vet by the receptionist who feeds it to her dogs as she said it's the closest thing to raw without feeding raw she can get. So I thought I'd post it here as an alternative.

Guest DragonflyDM

When I am not feeding raw.. I get these patties from Burton's Total Pets that just need to be thawed and served. Still not cheap. I think it comes to $1.50-2.50 lbs.

I am sure it is good stuff-- but always comes down to return on investment (health vs cost). I would love to hear someone who knows more about this. I just know the similar looking product at the dog store was not cheap.

Guest FinnsMom

The receptionist at the vet had said her dog was sick, nearly bald and she had tried for 2 years to find a food that worked for him. She said she bought it and she couldn't believe the difference it made, and now I guess her dog has this full lush coat that needs grooming on a regular basis. LOL And since they don't sell the stuff at the vet where she works, I know she's not only after a sale. :) It's all natural ingredients, and she said the smell of it is amazing. LOL Which I don't think you can say about any other dog food. LOL

Lots of stores near us carry it according to the website (Global Pet foods). I'm going to check it out because I'd like to compare the cost. Thanks

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'd call that an alternative to kibble before I'd call it an alternative to raw ;) but it looks like it might be a nice option for someone looking for a higher quality kibble option. Not sure if the cooking method does in fact retain nutrients better, but it's promising if it does (their FAQ claims they've tested their product to confirm it), but the most appealing thing to me would be the use of only products from the USA/Canada and the fact that it's also made at a US facility. Lots of information in their FAQ although this is a total myth:

Q: As dogs are carnivores, how can they even gain benefits from eating quality seeds or grains?

A: Dogs actually need more nutrients than they can get from meat alone and they need calories without fat, supplied by the right carbohydrate sources. This is demonstrated by dogs left to fend for themselves in the wild. The first thing they eat after killing their prey is its stomach and stomach contents, which includes plants, grasses and seeds in a pre-digested form they can easily absorb. These foods provide the extensive vitamins, minerals and other nutrients needed for a complete and balanced diet. It’s hard however for dogs to benefit from whole, intact grains because they can’t easily break them down through digestion.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I agree, Jen. Seems like the only organ meat is chicken liver and there is no mention of bone content (and it's related vitamins / minerals). Looks like an amazing alternative to kibble, though, but I wouldn't give up on raw feeding for this food, even though it is more convenient.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Changed the title to Alternative Kibble. LOL

:lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest FinnsMom

Man, they are all about sprouts! I just keep thinking of all the human salmonella and e-coli outbreaks with sprouts and wonder if the "gentle baking" would kill such cooties.

Since the sprouted seeds they use are lentil, barley, and flax I don't think there's much to worry about.

http://carna4.com/sprouted-seeds

When I read sprouts I was thinking alfalfa sprouts and the like as well.

I'd call that an alternative to kibble before I'd call it an alternative to raw ;) but it looks like it might be a nice option for someone looking for a higher quality kibble option. Not sure if the cooking method does in fact retain nutrients better, but it's promising if it does (their FAQ claims they've tested their product to confirm it), but the most appealing thing to me would be the use of only products from the USA/Canada and the fact that it's also made at a US facility. Lots of information in their FAQ although this is a total myth:

Q: As dogs are carnivores, how can they even gain benefits from eating quality seeds or grains?

A: Dogs actually need more nutrients than they can get from meat alone and they need calories without fat, supplied by the right carbohydrate sources. This is demonstrated by dogs left to fend for themselves in the wild. The first thing they eat after killing their prey is its stomach and stomach contents, which includes plants, grasses and seeds in a pre-digested form they can easily absorb. These foods provide the extensive vitamins, minerals and other nutrients needed for a complete and balanced diet. It’s hard however for dogs to benefit from whole, intact grains because they can’t easily break them down through digestion.

:nod

• 2 weeks later...

:nod

:bs

Agreed, that Q&A is mostly crap. Dogs are omnivores who do fine with grain under most circumstances. If dogs truly couldn't digest grain, then no domestic dog would've survived in the past 30 years before all the trendy diets came out.