Need Advice Re: Time At Work

Guest amanda3784

Guest amanda3784

Thanks for the advice everyone! This morning when we put Henry in the crate he cried a lot and barked. But he did that for a few minutes the first night we had him when we put him in there for bed and within about ten minutes he was totally asleep. So I am hoping that is the case now.

I feel better about it today. He was kind of hyper when I got home from work but I ran around with him in the yard a bit and then snuggled him basically the rest of the night, so he's getting plenty of love. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! This morning when we put Henry in the crate he cried a lot and barked. But he did that for a few minutes the first night we had him when we put him in there for bed and within about ten minutes he was totally asleep. So I am hoping that is the case now.

I feel better about it today. He was kind of hyper when I got home from work but I ran around with him in the yard a bit and then snuggled him basically the rest of the night, so he's getting plenty of love. :)

Are you rewarding him for going into the crate every time link JJNg mentioned above? And are you leaving him wiht something to do (like a stuffed kong) when you're leaving for any length of time? If not, I would suggest starting those things right now. Also, hopefully you are not letting him out of the crate as soon as you get home/crating him right before you leave and are crating him for a bit of time when you are home and in the vicinity of his crate. Otherwise, he may be starting to associate being crated with you leaving, which is an easy way to actually teach him to dislike the crate. ;)

If you can implement those few things, you will likely end up with a dog who crates much better.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest amanda3784

Yes, I give him a Beggin Strip when he goes in the crate. :) I put him in the crate a little before I leave for work, although I will admit that when I got home I let him out right away. :/ I just could not resist and wanted to hug him!!!

We don't crate, our pups have the run of the house. Even though they sleep all day, they do like to sleep in different areas, especially when the sun shines in the windows. The house is dog proof, but they never chew anything or get into anything. I know people mention the fear of getting hurt, but seriously, I cannot find anything in our home that could hurt them.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Symphony7

I have always been a big advocate of baby gating. All of my dogs usually start off living in the kitchen. They have beds, crates, and water in there, and it is an area I can clean easily. I confined Desmond for two years as a puppy, now he has free run of the house as I finally trust him 100%. Kaze, my mom's Yorkie NEVER got run of the house, she still pees and hides it at 12 years old!

Achilles spent about and hour and a half in his crate the first day, then we left him gated in the kitchen with his crate open for an hour and a half the second day, now he is doing well gated for our 8 hour work days. We came home two days at lunch but he was just sleeping so now we are leaving him the whole day and seeing how it goes. I've never worked close enough to home where I can consistently come home during lunch, so my dogs have always gone the whole day without a potty break and they have been fine.

I do give peanut butter stuffed Kongs or marrow bones to keep him happy for the first hour or so (Desmond doesn't care for peanut butter so I stopped that with him a long time ago, and he has food allergies, so the less the better), but they definitely get used to the routine and sleep the whole day. I just like leaving them in a room so they can at least get up and look out the window, stretch, drink water, and walk a bit.

Try not to feel too guilty. :) We have to work, or else a lot less dogs would have homes. My dogs have always been happy, well-rounded animals even though I am gone all day. They are happy to see me when I get home, and they know the routine when I leave in the morning. Desmond is usually curled up on the couch before I even walk out the door, settled in for his hard day of napping and looking out the window. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 18tjettagrl

Victoria was crated with the foster and we left her crated for a month or two with the door open at night and closed while we were at work. Mom or dad come let her out noonish. We now give her the run of the kitchen but we also still have the crate up door always open. She always refers back to the crate I guess as a place of "this is mine". When mom and dad come over to let her out and when we come home, she's in the crate with her hoards of stuffed animals lol.

Edited by 18tjettagrl

Guest snoopycomehome

We never even got crates and only muzzled for a few weeks until we got to know them. They have the run of the house...except for the upstairs wing where our dd's rooms our because that is where the mean cat spends most of his time. :lol We have a baby gate between the kitchen and pantry, though.

There have never been any safety issues. Dragon has pee'd in the house twice in two years...both times it was raining hard. We have a doggie door, but God forbid he gets even a drizzle of water on his handsome self! :)

The closest we have to a crate is Dragon sleeping in dh's closet.