Trying To Id My Dog (Possible Greyhound Mix)

Guest Quantrill

Your pup is very cute and my first thought was Boxer. He sounds like a wonderful boy.

Maybe other people can chime in here, but from what I know, the racing industry is very heavily regulated in the US... which would make it hard to find legitimate greyhound mixes. NGA controls which dogs are bred in order to create better racers. When greyhounds come off the track, they are almost always immediately spayed or neutered (unless a male is in consideration for being studded out). I know my group is bound by a contract that they must spay and neuter prior to adoption. That's why it's so difficult to obtain greyhound puppies unless there is an oops litter or the puppy has a medical condition that prohibits him or her from racing.

I'm not sure if the same applies to AKC hounds, because the ones who are actively showing are still intact. But they are also very difficult to find (you have to contact AKC directly for a breeder list, and even then, the breeders are very selective). I think AKC greys account for less than 10% of greyhounds bred in the US. Due to that reason, I don't know when an AKC would be in a position to mate with a non-grey. When I bought Truman from an AKC breeder, he was sold as a pet. So I signed a contract stating that I would neuter him when he turned a year old and that only the breeder reserved the right to stud him out if they so chose.

I don't know much about the coyote-hunting greys, so maybe that's a possibility? Or a lurcher mix? They're more common in the UK, but I see them every now and again.

ETA: Too bad about the DNA tests- someone from my vet's office used it and thought it was fairly accurate. :dunno

I currently have a girl who was obviously given away as a pup probably because she has some deformity in her feet. She has her tats. She was found and nobody claimed her so they contacted a greyhound adoption. When I got her everybody thought she was spayed as she had a scar in the right area. Boy was I surprised when she went into heat. After her spay the vet said she had been breed at least once.

Also,

Central Illinois has quite a problem with grey mixes. The Amish breed them and unfortunately many of them end up in the local shelters. One was listed on an online site for free not too far from where I live and I tried to get her as she was intact and had been breed several times, but someone else was faster and the poor girl is still being breed.

When I got her everybody thought she was spayed as she had a scar in the right area. Boy was I surprised when she went into heat. After her spay the vet said she had been breed at least once.

Same thing happened to me with 7 year old foster Windy. C section and spay scars can be deceivingly similar. Wish all vets would mark dogs when spaying. Hijack over. :blush

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

There *are* a lot of greyhound mixes in certain areas. This very handsome pup does remind me more of a foxhound (body shape, legs, ranginess) but we'll never really know. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Quantrill

Thanks for all the replies y'all, maybe those DNA tests will improve one day. I can see the foxhound thing. I was just thinking earlier that his head looked kinda like a boxer. We had a pit mix a while back, I'm not sure I see pit in him as his nose seems longer than most pits I've seen.

Totally looks like a Pittie mix to me. I did a DNA test on my dog. I actually already knew two of the breeds in her and they were both identified accurately in the test plus another one I didn't know. I dunno...I don't think all the companies are bad but beware of the cheaper tests.

I don't see any greyhound in your pup but he is adorable that's for sure!

Guest gurehaundo

What about Boxer/Coonhound? Our Coonhound Mutt is Whippet-shaped.

Here's my friend's Boxer whom I babysit sometimes:

DSC_0375-2.jpg

Here's Six Pac, my shelter mutt who is supposed to be a Treeing Walker Coonhound:

DSC_0062.jpg

Of course, I really have no idea, but your puppy is quite adorable! Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook - there's a link in my signature. I love dog people!

Pit mix for sure

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• 2 weeks later...

He's super cute...I say Boxer Mix.

FYI St Bernard's often have double dew claws.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Scouts_mom

I think the current DNA tests are more accurate than the original ones. That said, remember that breeds as we know them are a recent thing, and many are a mixture of other breeds. Foxhound-type dogs would be bred with greyhound-type dogs to get a faster fox-hunting dog, etc.

Guest Lovey_Hounds
Maybe other people can chime in here, but from what I know, the racing industry is very heavily regulated in the US... which would make it hard to find legitimate greyhound mixes. NGA controls which dogs are bred in order to create better racers. When greyhounds come off the track, they are almost always immediately spayed or neutered (unless a male is in consideration for being studded out). I know my group is bound by a contract that they must spay and neuter prior to adoption. That's why it's so difficult to obtain greyhound puppies unless there is an oops litter or the puppy has a medical condition that prohibits him or her from racing.

I'm not sure if the same applies to AKC hounds, because the ones who are actively showing are still intact. But they are also very difficult to find (you have to contact AKC directly for a breeder list, and even then, the breeders are very selective). I think AKC greys account for less than 10% of greyhounds bred in the US. Due to that reason, I don't know when an AKC would be in a position to mate with a non-grey. When I bought Truman from an AKC breeder, he was sold as a pet. So I signed a contract stating that I would neuter him when he turned a year old and that only the breeder reserved the right to stud him out if they so chose.

I don't know much about the coyote-hunting greys, so maybe that's a possibility? Or a lurcher mix? They're more common in the UK, but I see them every now and again.

ETA: Too bad about the DNA tests- someone from my vet's office used it and thought it was fairly accurate. :dunno

There are many people through out the country who have pure bred but unregistered Greyhounds that are used for coursing and hunting there are also many whippets like this too many of those dogs are bred to make "lurchers" (they are much more common than many people realize).

Last spring we had a dog come to our group in Calgary, Canada from Connecticut who was a Whippet mix (may with basenji or pitbull) who looked a lot like the dog in your photo. I can't say exactly that is what your dog is there may be some sort of scent hound or pitbull (who like to sing and talk too). Either way you have a super great expressive dog.