Trying To Id My Dog (Possible Greyhound Mix)

Guest Quantrill

Guest Quantrill

Hey y'all,

I stumbled across your forum while googling greyhound characteristics so, I thought I'd post some pics of my mutt and see if any can identify what we have. his name is Noah, and we got him from the York, SC shelter a year ago. He seems to have some of the personality traits as Greyhounds (couch potato, roo-ing, leaning etc). He does seem to like to chase things too. He's very hands on, as in he likes to touch things with his front paws. Teaching him to shake was a snap! The vet at the shelter said she thought he was Greyhound and Great Pyrenees (Pyrenees because of the double rear dew claws). If he has ANY Greyhound in him then, I'm SOLD on Greyhounds. Coolest, most laid back dog EVER! Oh and he's about 63lbs and 25" at the shoulders. I'm trying to upload pics but not having much luck. When I click on "Gallery" and "Upload" I don't see an option to actually upload anything. I only see one album I can select and I don't see a way to create an album either. I guess maybe I'll try your FB page when my join request gets approved? In the meanwhile, if anyone could help me post pics here, I'd appreciate it. I know it's hard to tell much about what Noah might be without pics.

Thanks!

David

Hi and welcome! Noah sounds like a great dog, and we'd love to see photos. Upload your photos to a site like photobucket first, then you can copy the direct link into the "image" insert function on GT.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

What part of the country are you from? Very few greyhound mixes in our area because the racetracks require the adoption groups to spay and neuter before adopting them out. But we have our fair share of whippet and iggie mixes. Ever thought of one of those doggie DNA tests? I think they're around $60 and are fairly accurate. :)

Guest Quantrill
Guest zombrie

To be honest I don't see greyhound in that dog :dunno

Definitely a very adorable mutt! The head makes me want to boxer mix? Hard to say. The body sort of reminds me of a fox hound

Edited by zombrie

Guest Quantrill

I'm in Rock Hill SC. I have thought about and researched the DNA tests but, I read just the opposite, that they're not very accurate. One article I read was written by a vet who submitted two tests for the same dog to two different companies and got totally different results. If I thought for a second that they would be able to positively be able to ID Noah (aka Boogie) I'd do it. If I can't find out what he is, I'll have to start looking into cloning LOL.

Those DNA tests are a joke, (they did a test on three kits--tested the same dog with three different kits and got back three totally different sets of dogs!) and I see no sign of Great Pyrenees or Greyhound, but your dog is very nice looking!

Could be some sort of fox hound in there, but none of the things you describe are unique to Greyhounds, including what they call "rooing." Lots of dogs do that.

Double dew claws are not all that common, but certainly having them doesn't necessarily mean the dog has GP in it. It's not big or furry enough IMHO.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Quantrill

Hmmmm, guess I'll have to look up foxhound. When googling other Greyhound mixes, I found a pic of an alleged Grey/Pit mix that could have been Noah's littermate. he does have a very thin coat and thin skin (gets scratches and scrapes really easy). Lots of black spots on the skin that can be seen through the white areas, especially when he's wet. He seems to be very sensitive and has the most expressive face I've ever seen on a dog. He got attacked last night when an english bulldog wandered into our yard. He held his own with only a couple scratches but after I gave him a bath last night, he seemed a little traumatized. He didn't even want to go outside. I guess he thought the bulldog might still be there? He's seems to be back to normal this morning though.

Those DNA tests are a joke, (they did a test on three kits--tested the same dog with three different kits and got back three totally different sets of dogs!) and I see no sign of Great Pyrenees or Greyhound, but your dog is very nice looking!

Could be some sort of fox hound in there, but none of the things you describe are unique to Greyhounds, including what they call "rooing." Lots of dogs do that.

Double dew claws are not all that common, but certainly having them doesn't necessarily mean the dog has GP in it. It's not big or furry enough IMHO.

Yeah, I thought GP was a bit of a stretch too. Oh well, so maybe I don't have a grey mix. I'm still going to look into getting one later on! :-)

Guest 2dogs4cats

I would have to agree, I don't see GH. Mutts are lovely though, enjoy him! I have one myself from a shelter and he is the most laid back boy too!

Maybe other people can chime in here, but from what I know, the racing industry is very heavily regulated in the US... which would make it hard to find legitimate greyhound mixes. NGA controls which dogs are bred in order to create better racers. When greyhounds come off the track, they are almost always immediately spayed or neutered (unless a male is in consideration for being studded out). I know my group is bound by a contract that they must spay and neuter prior to adoption. That's why it's so difficult to obtain greyhound puppies unless there is an oops litter or the puppy has a medical condition that prohibits him or her from racing.

I'm not sure if the same applies to AKC hounds, because the ones who are actively showing are still intact. But they are also very difficult to find (you have to contact AKC directly for a breeder list, and even then, the breeders are very selective). I think AKC greys account for less than 10% of greyhounds bred in the US. Due to that reason, I don't know when an AKC would be in a position to mate with a non-grey. When I bought Truman from an AKC breeder, he was sold as a pet. So I signed a contract stating that I would neuter him when he turned a year old and that only the breeder reserved the right to stud him out if they so chose.

I don't know much about the coyote-hunting greys, so maybe that's a possibility? Or a lurcher mix? They're more common in the UK, but I see them every now and again.

ETA: Too bad about the DNA tests- someone from my vet's office used it and thought it was fairly accurate. :dunno

Edited by a_daerr

He is cute but I also agree I don't see much Greyhound in him. Again he does look like a sweetie.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Quantrill

Thanks guys! We have two other dogs, Mallory who is the talker of the bunch and my wife's Papillon, Doc who is the obnoxious one LOL. I doubt we'll be in the market for a GH anytime soon but, I'll definitely be reading up on them!

What a handsome dog Noah is! Don't see any gry or pyr in him tho. Hope you stick around GT. :wave There a several GTers that don't have greys.

Maybe other people can chime in here, but from what I know, the racing industry is very heavily regulated in the US... which would make it hard to find legitimate greyhound mixes. NGA controls which dogs are bred in order to create better racers. When greyhounds come off the track, they are almost always immediately spayed or neutered (unless a male is in consideration for being studded out).

The NGA doesn't control which dogs are bred, they are a registry. The owners control which dogs are bred and registering them with the NGA is strictly voluntary, but necessary for them to race for pari-mutal purposes. It is very common for some purebred tattooed pups in a single litter not be registered. It costs money (a nominal fee) to register a dog, but if it is clear the dog isn't going to the track most owners don't. The majority of those dogs are not placed by a group, but some are. Some owners bring their dogs back from the tracks and sell them to coyote hunters instead of placing them into adoption. Not all greyhounds come off the track and into an adoption group and not all NGA greyhounds even go to the track.

If an owner wants to breed a purebred or mix litter to use in illegal match racing, or to hunt coyotes no one is stopping them - and people do exactly that all the time. Look at the puppies Kamsmom has now - they look purebred and were for sale in the Wal-Mart parking lot. In certain parts of the country like Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Ohio greyhound mixes are VERY plentiful.

Again Noah is very handsome. Stick around and let us know when you get your first greyhound!

Thanks guys! We have two other dogs, Mallory who is the talker of the bunch and my wife's Papillon, Doc who is the obnoxious one LOL. I doubt we'll be in the market for a GH anytime soon but, I'll definitely be reading up on them!

The little ones are always the boss of things!

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

What a handsome dog Noah is! Don't see any gry or pyr in him tho. Hope you stick around GT. :wave There a several GTers that don't have greys.

Maybe other people can chime in here, but from what I know, the racing industry is very heavily regulated in the US... which would make it hard to find legitimate greyhound mixes. NGA controls which dogs are bred in order to create better racers. When greyhounds come off the track, they are almost always immediately spayed or neutered (unless a male is in consideration for being studded out).

The NGA doesn't control which dogs are bred, they are a registry. The owners control which dogs are bred and registering them with the NGA is strictly voluntary, but necessary for them to race for pari-mutal purposes. It is very common for some purebred tattooed pups in a single litter not be registered. It costs money (a nominal fee) to register a dog, but if it is clear the dog isn't going to the track most owners don't. The majority of those dogs are not placed by a group, but some are. Some owners bring their dogs back from the tracks and sell them to coyote hunters instead of placing them into adoption. Not all greyhounds come off the track and into an adoption group and not all NGA greyhounds even go to the track.

Thanks for all this information. :)

Your pup's body shape and coat and coloring remind me very much of my friend's dog who is a Collie mix. So if I had to guess I would say Pit Bull/Collie mix.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

He's very cute, but I also don't see greyhound or GP in him. I do see boxer and they can have thin hair and skin. As for the double dew claws, they are also found on Briards and Beaucarons (sp?) which are also herding dogs and I think a few other herding dogs also have them. I've also seen them on a few different scent hound mixes so there may be some scent hounds who have them too, but I'm not sure.