Dog Injured At Groomers

Guest ultraviolet79

So sorry this happened! I just took James to get his nails trimmed this weekend...apparently, we were really lucky in only getting one nail trimmed too short.

Regarding legal action, you have to weigh the cost of hiring an attorney with how much money you'll have expended. Although e-vets are expensive, so are attorneys. Seeing as how the groomer coughed over money for the first vet, I'd go back to the groomer and ask for more. I'd also go to the first vet and ask for money. If you get push back, I'd hire an attorney and have a demand letter (pay up or be sued) sent to both parties. If you still get push back, and if it's worth your time and money, then I'd sue both parties and let the two of them hammer out who's more at fault.

Listen to this one! She's an attorney :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FawnFan

Ultraviolet79 - sorry to hear about your ordeal with Watson. I'd be furious. Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you. I'd be working with my primary Vet and asking him/her for help with dealing with the ER vet and the Vet the groomer took Watson too with the injury. Hopefully your primary Vet will be able to help you figure out what went wrong and which person you need to visit with the bills.

Good luck and hoping Watson is well and home very soon!

P.S. Just noticed you're in NJ - where are you located? Southern, Central, Northern?

Guest ultraviolet79

Ultraviolet79 - sorry to hear about your ordeal with Watson. I'd be furious. Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you. I'd be working with my primary Vet and asking him/her for help with dealing with the ER vet and the Vet the groomer took Watson too with the injury. Hopefully your primary Vet will be able to help you figure out what went wrong and which person you need to visit with the bills.

P.S. Just noticed you're in NJ - where are you located? Southern, Central, Northern?

FawnFan-we are in central NJ, in Mercer County. How about you?

Watson is doing better this afternoon-they are still working on treating the stomach issue which may not be related to the original injury/surgery at all. Hopefully we'll have him back home soon. Thanks again for all of your advice and support--this is a great board!

Guest FawnFan

FawnFan-we are in central NJ, in Mercer County. How about you?

Watson is doing better this afternoon-they are still working on treating the stomach issue which may not be related to the original injury/surgery at all. Hopefully we'll have him back home soon. Thanks again for all of your advice and support--this is a great board!

I'm in South Jersey near Berlin. :)

Glad to hear Watson is doing better! That's wonderful news!!

Edited by FawnFan

Guest gretchenlamb

oh no....is Watson a black greyhound with a roman nose? If so, we've met at a M&G before. I'm so sorry this has happened :(

Edited by gretchenlamb

Guest ultraviolet79

oh no....is Watson a black greyhound with a roman nose? If so, we've met at a M&G before. I'm so sorry this has happened :(

Yep, that's definitely Watson. Can't miss that nose. :)

Guest kkaiser104

Well once he's feeling better we expect pictures!

So sorry you've had such a bad experience with the groomers. This is why I do Teddi's nails myself--a lot of people around here seem to think that they need to "dominate" a big dog and they really don't. Thoughts for you and Watson!

Guest gretchenlamb

How's Watson doing today?

(we're practically neighbors too....Please let me know if there's anything we can do to help (Elaine at GFNJ M&G has my email). )

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Im sorry your boy was hurt.

next time you send your dog to the groomers tell them the dog does not leave the ground NO tables nothing even floor bathing only. I know in my salon i never put large dogs on the table and i have a special floor bathing tub for the large or nervous dogs. Accidents can happen and be glad that the groomer owned up and paid the bill but charging them a second time for something that could be the vets fault isnt right either.

The groomer where I worked never put big dogs on a table unless it was something like a standard poodle that needed a show clip.

Putting a big dog on a table for a nail trim seems very odd (or lazy) to me - have never seen that...and the odds of a big dog that has probably never been on an elevated table in his or her life flipping out when up high with a noose around its neck seem to be way higher to me than trimming nails on the floor.

I agree with Lovey_Hounds. The groomer seems to have owned up to his or her mistake. The bigger problem was the vet.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Things happen and some things like your dogs aspiration pneumonia should not -- that IS the vets fault. Did they not mention that he vomited in recovery? Did they perform chest rads? While I'm a far cry from a lawyer it's my personal opinion that both the groomer and the vet were at fault and I would be expecting compensation from both parties.

I hope your boy feels better soon.

What tbhounds said. :nod Aspiration pneumonia - barring exceptional circumstances - surely is negligence. I am appalled that it happened and so sorry for you and Wilson. :(

The whole thing sounds a mess, but realistically, you can't hold the groomer responsible for all of this. They may have set things in motion by allowing him to injure himself, but it isn't fair to expect them to pay up for a vet's mistake in treating the injury they caused, IMHO. Agree with those who mentioned tramadol not suiting some dogs, too.

I hope he is able to come home and heal soon, poor guy.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I think it's odd to put a large dog on a table for a nail clipping, they can then relax their body again yours. Also, I so glad that my vet has a greyhound, she will actually get on the floor for regular exams. :)

Guest ultraviolet79

Good news: we are picking up Watson from the vet later this morning! He started eating again so he's ok to come home. I agree with you all about not sending the bill to the groomer (and for the record, we are never sending him to the groomer again! baths at home from now on!) We may pursue something with the vet, but we'll see. I'm going to attempt to post a pic so you can see his lovely Roman nose:

7353134096_6dd8a4216d.jpg

Untitled by ultraviolet79, on Flickr

What a handsome boy! So glad to hear he is coming home.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The whole thing sounds a mess, but realistically, you can't hold the groomer responsible for all of this. They may have set things in motion by allowing him to injure himself, but it isn't fair to expect them to pay up for a vet's mistake in treating the injury they caused, IMHO.

I'm not sure the same would be true for dogs who are, unfortunately, considered property, but if this situation arose with humans, you usually could hold the original person responsible. The courts have said that negligent medical care is "reasonably foreseeable." Nice, huh? ;)

So glad Watson is on the mend!

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Hiya Watson! :wave Glad to hear you're coming home! :clap

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

:beatheart Oh my word......sooooooooooooooo handsome!!!

Glad he's coming home! Baths at home can be fun. We've only given James one bath since we had him. I took half his dinner into the bathroom and hand-fed him his kibble while my DH washed him down. After that one bath time, James LOVES the bathroom. He thinks there's always food in there. :hehe

I have not read all the replies. If you are going to groom greyhounds, you should know they can and will freak out on a table. Even at the vets my guys do not go up on the table. For the very thing that happened to your guy: it takes a split second to freak and get injured (and yes, a few greys have died)

Anyone who uses a groomer for greyhounds should insist: no table and no drying with heaters.

Glad to hear he is coming home.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits