Dog Injured At Groomers

Guest ultraviolet79

Guest ultraviolet79

Hello,

This is my first post here. I wish it were about something happier, but I could really use the perspective of some other gh owners. Here's the story:

On Saturday, I took my greyhound (Watson) to the groomer to have a bath and a nail clip. He had never been to the groomers before, but we've bathed him ourselves and the vet has clipped his nails with no problems.

The groomer was able to clip nails on three paws without a problem, but apparently he freaked out when they tried to do his last paw. He was on the table and he reared up and somehow his back toe cut the skin on his penis. You know how thin their skin is--he was bleeding badly so the groomer took him to a vet nearby. She called my bf and I, and we went straight to the vet. They said they were going to have to put him under to do the stitches. I asked if they had experience with gh's given their sensitivity to anesthesia, and she assured me she did. So, we let them go ahead and stitch him up.

When they were done stitching him up, they brought him out to us so we could be there when he came around. Suddenly the wound started bleeding again as he was waking up, so the vet had to take him back, put him under, and stitch him up again. This is the point where I was starting to get nervous, as I didn't want him to get more anesthesia.

The second round of stitches did the trick and stopped the bleeding. As soon as he woke up, we took him home. They said they also gave him some tranquilizers to keep him calm. Let me also add that this was at around 2pm. This particular office closed at noon, and in hindsight I wonder if they were rushing us out of there rather than monitoring him. At any rate, the groomer paid the bill for this vet visit (we didn't ask her to).

Things got worse from there--he was just a mess and I knew something was wrong, so we took him to the emergency vet the next morning. They admitted him and said that he was likely in a lot of pain. He also had a fever, was severely dehydrated, and had an elevated heart rate. They managed to get some pain meds and fluids in him, and his heart rate eventually came down. However, he also contracted pneumonia (which I guess can happen under anaesthesia as well). He is still at the vet (he's been there three days now) and they are trying to get his fever down and get him to eat something so we can take him home.

My question to you all is: was the vet who did the stitches negligent? or is that common protocol? We're thinking of sending the bill to either the vet or the groomer. I would just like some opinions on whether that seems reasonable or not. I'm happy to pay the bill as long as I have my sweet boy back, but if it seems like someone else screwed up and should get the bill, then by all means they will get it (this is costing about $1000 a day).

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and offer some advice.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief!

I would send the bill to the groomer.

Hope your boy is better soon!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Did they check to make sure the pudendal artery was okay? That's the primary blood supply to the penis in dogs... maybe in all the chaos, he nicked it? That would explain the bleeding, but doesn't really explain why the stitches didn't take the first time. I really don't know, but what an ordeal. I am terribly sorry you are going through this.

There's no way for any of us to know whether the vet did something wrong or not without medical records (and without being a vet frankly). I would send the bill to the groomer since that's the ultimate cause of all of this and if they believe the vet was negligent, they can sue the vet for the money after they reimburse you.

I'm sorry this is happening.

FYI, you may want to consult OSU about this if he is not improving. If he's having a bleeding issue, maybe Amicar would help? I know it's used preventatively with dogs who undergo limp amputation due to osteosarcoma and OSU is now using it as a routine part of their dentals if a dog will need extractions. Go here and click on consultation service. It's been free up until this point. I know they were going to start implementing a consultation fee, but not sure if they've done that yet. I wouldn't let that stop you though, their gh experience is invaluable.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Agree the Amicar would help. We had a bleeding issue with our Shelby albeit in a totally different area and it would not stop. It took several vet visits and a few days stay for her as we were very concerned. The vet did take care of the secondary bills (hospital stay, etc.) as they knew they had caused accidentally the problem. They did not have Amicar though and I totally forgot to ask them to get some. As soon as they did, the bleeding slowed and eventually stopped but it was scary.

Good thoughts for your boy. I hope he heals quickly. As for the bill, it's hard to say whom is in the wrong or whether they are or not. Greyhounds unfortunately challenge some vets even after they say they have experience with them.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest KennelMom

I think the groomer is responsible. I would also not allow a groomer or a vet to stand a greyhound on a table. They're far too big/awkward/top heavy and I've seen too many injuries result from it (here on GT). I also second (third?) the amicar suggestion.

Hope your pup is on the mend soon!

I'm so sorry all this has happened to your boy. The only advice I will give is to get copies of all his records, including every single drug used. Some greyhounds don't do well with certain meds & you'll want to know what to avoid in the future. If you know what's been used, post it here & you'll get some info on it.

Is there any way he can come home soon to recuperate? Some hounds don't really relax at the vet & that can impede his healing. What an ordeal for him (& you) - I hope he's feeling better soon. :getwell:kiss2 Keep us posted & welcome to GT. :wave

(I took my first hound to the groomer not long after I got him. Never again. :cry1 )

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Good grief!

I don't think that's fair. We know how delicate Greyhound skin is. My own dog split his skin open in three places just tripping on some stairs.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest 2dogs4cats

I am actualy surprised that the groomer paid the first vet bill without you even asking. Sorry. I have no advice, just so sorry this happened! Their skin is quite delicate. I had one rip his entire side skin off on a tree branch.

Guest oldNELLIE

Good grief!

I don't think that's fair. We know how delicate Greyhound skin is. My own dog split his skin open in three places just tripping on some stairs.

I think I have to agree. I am so sorry you are dealing with this! It must be terrifying.

I think that the groomer took appropriate responsibility by paying for the original cut, but I fail to see how it is her fault that thing totally spun out of control from there. I would be looking at the vets care and after that I guess it is just a risk of having our gentle houndies "out in the world". Nellie stands on a table when getting her nails done all the time. If she reared up and hurt herself I guess that would be my fault.

That being said, did you sign something allowing the groomer to take your dog to a vet? I know that we signed something with our kennel for example. I would be torn between feeling happy that the groomer took the steps to do what she felt was best for the health of my hound, and to pay for it with no questions asked and also disappointment that it was not "my vet" that my dog was taken too.

It is a tough situation. I am sorry you are having to think about it at all.

Guest Downtownhoundz

Oh what an awful experience and all the emotional turmoil you are having! I wonder why a groomer felt it necessary to put a gh on a table to clip nails? Mine is always on the floor. It all started with the groomer...she chose to put him on the table, she chose what vet to take him to.........

Hope he gets better soon!

Guest ultraviolet79

Thanks for all of your advice, everyone. Watson is going to be at the vet's for at least another day. He is regurgitating a lot as there seems to be some fluid in his stomach that shouldn't be there. I don't really understand, but they are going to do an ultrasound and try to treat it. He needs to be able to eat before he can come home.

We are going to get the records from the original vet so we know what exactly was used. We plan to get some advice from the emergency vet about the quality of care received from the original procedure, and we'll go from there.

How awful! I am ALWAYS nervous about leaving my dog with groomers and even vets who insist on putting big dogs up on stainless steel tables without them being sedated first; that was an accident waiting to happen. How hard is it to bend/kneel down at floor level and do a Greyhound's toes?

Any bills must go to the Groomers who can get them paid out of their liability insurance. I would never go back to such an outfit again.

I hope your poor dog gets over this without too much more trouble.

We plan to get some advice from the emergency vet about the quality of care received from the original procedure, and we'll go from there.

Agree- this seems like the best idea. Also, do you have pet insurance? We have an accident/illness policy to avoid major expenses for fluke, unexpected stuff. I used it this year for Henry's tail injury, and it came in handy. I got about 80% back.

Guest OurLacyandJax

Just want to tell you I am pulling for you and Watson. Of course, this is the reason why businesses have liability insurance. I hope it was an established business, and not a small mom and pop one.

Above all - I know my girl absolutely hated Tramadol when I put her on it for some pain. So in case Watson acts up on pain meds - wild eyed, panting, anxious, panicky - try something else for the pain.

Hope he gets home soon!

Things happen and some things like your dogs aspiration pneumonia should not -- that IS the vets fault. Did they not mention that he vomited in recovery? Did they perform chest rads? While I'm a far cry from a lawyer it's my personal opinion that both the groomer and the vet were at fault and I would be expecting compensation from both parties.

I hope your boy feels better soon.

Putting dogs on a grooming table is standard procedure at most grooming salons, especially if it's a hydraulic table, which is not as high off the ground as a vet's exam table, and typically is longer and wider than an exam table. (The hydraulic tables can be lowered to about 24" from the floor.) Dogs on the floor have lots of room to twist and turn to get away from the groomer (they're also more at risk for encounters with other dogs in the grooming salon). Dogs also have poorer traction on the slick floor than they will have on the textured grooming table. And if the dog reared up during a nail trim and cut himself with his back foot--that sounds just as possible for a dog on the floor as one on a table.

A good groomer will pick up the vet bills for two circumstances: 1-the groomer injures the dog (cuts a dog during a haircut), and 2-the dog injures himself--on a table, in a kennel, etc. About the only time a good grooming salon will balk at vet bills is for pre-existing problems; this is why groomers check incoming dogs carefully to locate pre-existing cuts and scrapes, eye irritation, ear infections, etc.

Allowing for the average greyhound's inability to keep clots together (their blood clots fine, but the clots don't hold--which is why amicar is used so often), it sounds as though the first vet screwed up in rushing the dog out and, perhaps, in giving a pain reliever that had bad effects on the dog (too much tramadol? something narcotic?).

I'd get the ER vets to figure out which problems were complications from the original injury (such as the renewed bleeding) and which problems were from dubious vet care (no amicar, dodgy pain relievers, and pneumonia). And I'd get Watson's own vet's opinion.

But you're absolutely right to be upset. A nail trim is not supposed to be life-threatening. And you should not be on the hook for any of these vet bills. I'm so sorry your guy is having such a bad time.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Praying for Watson. Poor guy. Its just awful how people, including some vets, are so callous and negligent with our precious pets/best friends/family. I would be fit to be tied. For Watson: :kiss2

Edited by racindog

So sorry this happened! I just took James to get his nails trimmed this weekend...apparently, we were really lucky in only getting one nail trimmed too short.

Regarding legal action, you have to weigh the cost of hiring an attorney with how much money you'll have expended. Although e-vets are expensive, so are attorneys. Seeing as how the groomer coughed over money for the first vet, I'd go back to the groomer and ask for more. I'd also go to the first vet and ask for money. If you get push back, I'd hire an attorney and have a demand letter (pay up or be sued) sent to both parties. If you still get push back, and if it's worth your time and money, then I'd sue both parties and let the two of them hammer out who's more at fault.