Etogesic Instead Of Deramaxx

Guest gryhnd3

Guest gryhnd3

Has anyone switched from Deramaxx (due to recent unavailability) to EtoGesic? If so, did you notice any differences? Going to have to switch our 13 y/o in a few days.

Never been a fan of EtoGesic--I found it tuff (tuffer than other NSAIDs) on the tummy. If your looking for a once a day NSAID how about trying Metacam? Also, according to Pfizer-they are recommending Rimadyl to be given once a day now (2mg/mg dosing).

I just switched to meloxicam. Metacam but for hoomans. Norm was not taking any NSAID. 3 hrs after his first meloxicam he was a new dog.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

My understanding was that etodolac is COX-2 selective but when I asked my vet about it for my senior Grey, now sadly departed, she said something to the effect of we could try it but it didn't seem as kind to GI tracts as some of the others. My guy was currently on meloxicam when I made the inquiry. Meloxicam has done well for my Greyhounds from 50+ up to 75 lbs. We get the human pills & split them up. My comfort level with doing it that way goes down as the dog gets smaller. I don't think meloxicam has as high a safety margin as Deramaxx where the GI system is concerned. That is, I believe, why Metacam is a liquid so you can give a more exact dose. When my 45 lb foster needed an NSAID for an injury we opted for carprofen (generic if Rimadyl). It was either that or out the nose for a bottle of Metacam. I didn't mind that when I used it for a 15 lb foster but it can get pricey fast when used long term for the bigger dogs.

My meloxicam (7.5 mg pills) is about 1/6 the price of rimadyl for the same amount. Three months of meloxicam was about $40 and three months of rimadyl was over $200. Plus, I feel that meloxicam has been much more effective than rimadyl.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Meloxicam is by far the cheapest NSAID for dogs I've found. The 7.5 mg pills are a $4 generic at Walmart & Sam's for 30 pills. That translates to 2-3 mos worth depending on the size of your dog. Can't think of another NSAID for dogs you can get cheaper.

Guest gryhnd3

Ugh, etogesic doesn't sound great. The asst. told me that is what they would switch to, she also said it was not quite as good as Deramaxx. My mom's supposed to pick it up today. He is normally a very good eater so I guess we'll just keep a close eye re: any tummy troubles. I don't think I've ever used Rimadyl. I think Metacam must be the one I had for another senior years ago, it was a liquid and expensive. I really hate having to switch him of Deramaxx as he's been doing good on it. He does take it daily.

I had to switch cause there is just no Deramaxx out there.

My vet made me do a 10 day 'wash out' when we switched, which was brutal for me (my dog pees in the house if he doesn't get his NSAID), but George did OK.

He is doing great on Rimadyl. I would love to try this less expensive alternative, meloxicam, but do not fancy going through another wash out!

Also, my vet gave us too small a dose of Rimadyl, 100 mg. According to the formula, he can take 125 mg., so that's what I'm giving him.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I had to switch cause there is just no Deramaxx out there.

My vet made me do a 10 day 'wash out' when we switched, which was brutal for me (my dog pees in the house if he doesn't get his NSAID), but George did OK.

He is doing great on Rimadyl. I would love to try this less expensive alternative, meloxicam, but do not fancy going through another wash out!

Also, my vet gave us too small a dose of Rimadyl, 100 mg. According to the formula, he can take 125 mg., so that's what I'm giving him.

hunh. Norm did the same. To the point that we started belly banding him every day. I had no idea that not having is deramaxx would do this. Thanks so much for sharing!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.