Need Help With Dry Skin!

Guest joviemom

Guest joviemom

I thought I would see if you all have any suggestions for what I could try for my girl! Here is a little about her

4 years old, has an extremely sensitive stomach, and in general is a more nervous dog. I have her right now on a purina prescription dog food for GI/Sensitive stomach issues and she is doing great on it.

I have tried several different types of fish oil and all of then run right through her, I have tried varying doses and no matter how much I give her she gets instant diarrhea. (though I will say her skin did look better while she was on it)

I have also tried an oatmeal bath, and I also brush her regularly.

I am not really sure what else to try and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Guest undergreysspell

Try a drizzle of olive oil on her food..it got rid of my girl's dandruff in 2 days and she has beautiful skin now. She also takes a fish oil capsule but if I stop the olive oil her dandruff comes right back and her skin gets dry.

Have you tried Emu Oil by In Pet's Choice? I found it at Chowhound. It is a spray on conditioner. My boy has a sensitive tummy, so I don't use oils in his food. I have also used it on a very flaky black foster houndie. After about 2 weeks his skin was great and his coat gleamed.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

We had great success with a product recommended here called Hair of the Dog. It made a huge improvement in Bee Wiseman's dry skin.

http://www.docsblend.com/

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I second the coconut oil suggestion. You don't even have to feed it (you can, in VERY small amounts because it will cause), just rub some into the dry spots. I prefer the unrefined, cold-pressed kind because it smells good (seems like the refined stuff doesn't smell at all). It's safe should she lick it off and she'll walk around smelling like a coconut. We were using it on James' ears and armpits.