Internal Bleeding? Bruise? Advice Please

Guest OurLacyandJax

For anyone followed my Lacy's story - similar bruise, on her leg. But I knew the reason why she bruised so quick, as I was warned - low platelets. And for all I know I caused the bruise while I was helping her down from my high SUV bed to help with her front limb which she had hurt somehow. She hates being helped and wriggles like a worm.

Anyways, I learnt the bruise is almost always a symptom of something much bigger and dangerous. So I understand the frustration of FountainLady. But I see the situation Judith is in too.

I just wish the daughter would get this into high gear

Judith lives around this area by me, but the owner is days away in another state. Not sure where exactly. :( I've been told extremely rural and they are having issues finding a vet that will even take a stab at guessing what is going on.

How hard can it be to find a vet who will run a blood panel that includes a platelet count?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sr Grey Lover - she's never been a bleeder before. Is this somehting that can happen as they age?

If I'm not mistaken, though it's not age-related per se, it's something that can happen at any time even if it hasn't happened before. But generally greyhounds bleed more readily than other breeds, even if they don't have the full-blown pathological condition of it.

Greyhead is correct. Excessive bleeding is seen in dogs of any age.

Excessive internal bleeding can occur spontaneously from a variety of causes, and in certain cases could become deadly if left untreated. Many Greyhounds aren't "known" to their owners or veterinarians to be "excessive bleeders" until either a surgery or when a wound bleeds excessively without clotting normally. (One of our hound's excessive bleeding (during minor surgery) was stopped in the O.R., then began internal bleeding 30 hours later at home.)

Here is Greyhound Health and Wellness Program's link about Greyhound bleeders: https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/freeresources/greyhoundbleeders/index.cfm

Since we have 3 "known" excessive bleeders, we keep 4 days worth of "Aminocaproic Acid" tablets at home for emergencies. (Since it can take a few days for pharmacies to fill a prescription.) Costco's pharmacy offers a more affordable generic brand to Amicar's Aminocaproic Acid. Tablets have a 1 year shelf life. I prefer liquid form (from a compounding pharmacy) for "scheduled" surgeries. It's cheaper and beef flavored but only lasts one month when compounded. Again, the Aminocaproic Acid ("AA") dosage for Greyhounds link is in my previous post.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an update!

SHe is doing great - that whole patch of bruise was gone within three days. It appeared to come from something she had done - bumped into or scraped against. as it disipated you could see the initial location more clearly. They took a look at her, gave Candy a clean bill of health, and as soon as the owner can afford to do the blood work they are going to take a look at things, just in case. It seems to have been just a bruise, but will be nice to make sure.

Big sigh of relief! :-)

------

Jessica

Guest kkaiser104
Just got an update!

SHe is doing great - that whole patch of bruise was gone within three days. It appeared to come from something she had done - bumped into or scraped against. as it disipated you could see the initial location more clearly. They took a look at her, gave Candy a clean bill of health, and as soon as the owner can afford to do the blood work they are going to take a look at things, just in case. It seems to have been just a bruise, but will be nice to make sure.

Big sigh of relief! :-)

I'm cautious to think it was just a bruise...I know it's not your dog, but I would be moving heaven and earth to pay for that blood work. Dogs, like people, don't just bruise that badly for no reason. I strongly believe that there is probably an underlying reason she bruised that badly and that much--it's just not normal.

Guest OurLacyandJax

Yes, I agree completely with kkaiser. Once over without a CBC is not the right way to go. We are not being worry warts here - so please somehow get it checked immediately.

Platelets count. Literally.

Edited by OurLacyandJax