Internal Bleeding? Bruise? Advice Please

imagejpeg_3.jpg

A friend sent me a pic of her daughters grey. They came home from church and found the pup like this. Any idea? Apparently they are in a remote area and an ER vet isn't an option. That was my first reaction. They found her like this 3 hours ago and it's not spreading. Pup is active and energetic. What should they do? What could it be?

I'm going to send them a link to this topic so they can join greytalk and we can hopefully get more info.

------

Jessica

Guest judithJ

Hi, guys, this is Judith - it's my daughter's hound. We've had greys for 20+ years and have never seen a red spot this big. I have seen smaller ones that were nothing. I think Candy may be 9 or 10 years old. We can't find her paperwork. SHe been in excellent health her whole life. Had a little thyroid imbalance when we first got her but it was rebalanced with supplements and changes of food. Her energy level seems normal - lazy lazy lazy. LOL And when they came home from church she was bouncing and ran to greet them. She's not in any pain, just her gate is a little "off" this afternoon. Still goofy and playing with my granddaughter like all fine.

What is petechia?

Looks like a bruise. Diesel had one that size. I took him to the vet, but they can't do anything for it. He had hit himself while playing and had a small lump above the area of the bruise, that was obviously bleeding, gravity brought the blood down to the belly where I could see it.

Guest judithJ

Tina, thanks for the pic! OMG It looks just like hers!!! I was just asking you if it was bright red. and it is!!!

I was able to read about that petachiae and found that it can be caused by a bacteria infection and she just got over a tooth abcess, too.

Greyaholic - She has a bad habit of hiding in places she shouldn't - whenever she panics. Most often it is storms but it's also hunting season and they live in the woods. SHe could have heard gunfire and freaked. Have found her shoved between the toilet and wall, pedestal sink and wall, under a dresser, if its too small for her to fit into she will go there!!! She is tiny - only 45 lbs about the size of a whippet.

WOW! The least I woudl do is closely monitor for the night and get to the Vet first thing in the AM.

As an FYI, arnica gel is great for bruising, after you now what the issue is. Arnica is available at a drugstore or health food store.

Good luck. :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I would definitely get into the vet in the morning. Not to frighten you, but both of my dogs bruised like that and then had spleen tumors. Better safe than sorry. Good luck with your girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

If she's bleeding excessively internally, "aminocaproic acid" (One "trade name" is Amicar) should be mentioned to this hound's vet. Many Greyhounds are excessive bleeders. Liquid aminocaproic acid can be ordered from a compounding pharmacy. Costco's pharmacy can get aminocaproic acid in tablet form. (It's also used in human patients. Dr. Couto at Ohio State University (Greyhound Health amd Wellness Program) highly recommends this medication to help control excessive bleeding.

The dose is mentioned in blue text under "Treatment and Prognosis" in this article:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/freeresources/bonecancer/index.cfm

We have 3 excessive bleeder Greyhounds. One hound has had a couple of similar situations on her belly, not related to any surgery. (We do use aminocaproic acid for all surgeries too, including dental extractions.)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest judithJ

Greyaholic - how did they diagnose and how were the tumors treated if at all?

Sr Grey Lover - she's never been a bleeder before. Is this somehting that can happen as they age?

Sr Grey Lover - she's never been a bleeder before. Is this somehting that can happen as they age?

If I'm not mistaken, though it's not age-related per se, it's something that can happen at any time even if it hasn't happened before. But generally greyhounds bleed more readily than other breeds, even if they don't have the full-blown pathological condition of it.

Hoping for an update.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest FawnFan

Any updates? I hope she is OK and that they have figured out what is going on. That is a pretty scary looking bruise. Been keeping her and her family in my thoughts.

Guest OurLacyandJax

Please check for tick borne illnesses - I am assuming she is in a rather woody area. Do a PCR tick panel (Polymerase Chain Reaction) if possible. The correlation I think is from a low platelet count that possibly arose from a tick bite. And if the platelets are low, she can bruise easy. You seem to have marked out the bruise - so that it is easy to monitor. Good call!

Please keep us posted!

Guest judithJ

Hey, grey-folks - update on my daughter's grey. No vet visit yet - she is still looking. I told my grey-friend, Jess, if it doesn't moo, neigh or oink they are stumped. The great news is the bruise has started to fade a bit and darken like it is healing. The edges are not shrinking but are looking lighter. I am concerned that it is a platelet issue so we are looking into finding SOMEONE in her area. I have given her some pointers on what to watch for. We have about 20 years grey experience plus my daughter is a human EMT and firefighter so we have some experience between the two of us. I am also looking into some natural remedies for increasing the platelet count while NOT damaging any test results - if anyone has any pointers in that area, please let me know. She is still full of energy and boinky while being a typical lazy bum grey. I did see that there is another grey owner who posted something similar - odd that it has happened at the same time of year. I will keep you all posted and thank you ALL for the support and help. Keep them in your prayers. :-)

I think I forgot to tell you all - I didn't catch it in my comments above - she had a tooth abscess recently, too. We are thinking maybe it went systemic - bacterial. We are looking into that too once we get to the vet.

If it went systemic, you wouldn't have time to look around for a vet. Was the abscess treated?

There aren't any herbs, supplements, etc. that would increase the platelet count. If you suspect low platelets rather than a bruise from a fall, she needs to see a vet and get a count!

Hope it was just a bad fall and pupper will be fine :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Has your daughter found a vet yet that would look at the dog? It's been 5 days since this happened.

I've been worried sick about this dog, and the lack of vet care it has been getting. I'm sorry ... after 4 days - still "looking for a vet" - does the dog have to have body parts dangling and hanging off before it can receive any medical care ?????

Ten minutes on the phone and I would have found a vet to look at the dog.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Ten minutes on the phone and I would have found a vet to look at the dog.

I just sat here trying hard to come up with something politically correct to say... I can't! Judith doesn't have much control over what happens with the pup. She's offering help when she can to the owner. (which is her daughter, so it's not like she can really say anything negative) ;) All of us are kind of in the same boat it seems...

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

It's been all I could do to hold my opinion this long .... but I'm worried about the dog. Jessica, can you help them find a vet since you know where they live and might be in a better position to help them?

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Judith lives around this area by me, but the owner is days away in another state. Not sure where exactly. :( I've been told extremely rural and they are having issues finding a vet that will even take a stab at guessing what is going on. Trust me if I could do anything else to help I would. Judith is doing everything that she can to help out also.

Last I heard she was still acting normal and the mark was going away so I'm going to hope that everything is ok....? Maybe it was just a bruise since the pup has a habit of cramming herself into impossible spaces in reaction to noises?

------

Jessica

I can only tell you that John E died two weeks after he bruised like that on his abdomen. I wasn't aware that it could have been something more than a bruise. I hope it is only a bruise, but, the point I am making is that it should be checked out.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds