Throwing Up

Guest amanda3784

Guest amanda3784

I woke up to the sound of poor Henry vomiting in his crate. :( It was mostly liquid. Is this normal for his first night home?? He seems otherwise active and healthy.

It certainly can be down to stress. I have a 'stress vomiter'. Every time something upsets him or throws his routine way out, he'll vomit. He's had all the investigations our vet can think of, and that's the conclusion we've come to, borne out by careful note-taking, and the fact that the DAP ('Comfort Zone') plug in helps a lot to reduce the frequency.

It can also be due to unfamiliar foods, perhaps combined with stress. Keep an eye on him, give him only water today, and gradually re-introduce his normal food in small quantities if he doesn't vomit again. If he does, it's worth a vet visit.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

If it was just bile and had been quite a long time since he last ate, it could just have been from him being very hungry and having an empty stomach.

Several of my fosters had an issue with this. An evening meal, or a small snack right before bed can help keep their tummies settled until breakfast time.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest amanda3784

Thank you for the tips everyone! Henry is doing much better. He ate normally in the morning and evening, and has been active and going to the bathroom normally as well. I gave him reduced amounts of food with some white rice to help him ease into it, along with plenty of water. Maybe it was just hunger, but it sure was a scary sound! I will give him a little milk bone or something before bed. I'm so glad this board exists!

Edited by amanda3784