Is It Safe?

Wizard was diagnosed with SLO a few months ago. He has to take 10 medications a day. I have tried hiding his pills in everything I could possibly think of, and he's gotten to the point that he knows the pills are hidden and spits them out. My question is he loves raw ground beef....I've given him a few little bites before, and I think he would take the pills with that. Is it safe to do that? Please help I'm running out of ideas. The antibiotic he has to take cannot be taken with any dairy products. Thanks for any help.

o888p2.jpg

Nancy~Mom to Wizard July 9, 2006 and Lexie June 25, 2009

Always in my heart, my goofy boy Sarge 8-25-04....5-17-11

I wasn't sure if your question was asking if raw beef was safe, or if it was okay to give meds with it. I am pretty sure it is fine to hide pills in.

I feed raw ground beef sometimes (pretty likely your dog grew up eating raw beef at the racetrack), but in terms of meat, store bought ground beef is probably the one beef product that *could* be the most contaminated with higher levels of bacteria (*note: your dog is still HIGHLY unlikely to get ill). If you want to be on the super safe side though, you could also buy stewing beef or cheap roasts, cut a little slit in a chunk of it, and stick the pill in that way. I'm sure either way is fine. :)

Edited by RedHead

My dogs are easy to pill, as in open mouth & put down the hatch, but I got serious about finding another way when my girl got SLO & started on all those pills. At first we were wrapping each pill in something yummy but eventually she started chewing the largish ones thus ruining that method. So I started pilling her for those & continuing to give the others as treats. Then my critter sitter told me her method. It sounded crazy but darned if it doesn't work for every dog in the house. It's simply & just so crazy it might work for you.

Get some canned cat food. (Don't worry. You don't use much.) Use a spoon & scoop out a dollop a little bigger than the pill you are giving. Pop the pill on top of the dollop. You don't need to bury it. Just put it on top. Now spoon feed your dog like she was a baby. That's it. I almost didn't try it as clearly, to me, it wasn't going to work. But it did! And it still does.

I'm not a giant fan of grocery store ground beef served raw. Used to do it all the time, but that was back before giant factory farms and huge grocery store chains that thaw, repackage, refreeze, rethaw, etc. I like RedHead's suggestion of buying a big chunk instead, or of using canned food.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mbfilby

You have multiple dogs. The trick that always works for us is to hide the pill in a bit of cheese or a piece of hot dog, call all the dogs into the kitchen and treat the other dogs first. By the time pill-dog gets the treat, he is anxious and gobbles it down.

I don't know about the US, but really, the only issue here with raw ground beef is that occasionally it's infected with a type of small single-celled parasite - I forget the name now, but we were told about it by a neuro we took Jim to about his head wobbles. She said they'd been finding this in spinal fluid and it's sometimes picked up from raw beef. Apparently it's killed easily by freezing for 24 hours.

I'd try the liver paste. When we had to give Jim, and then later Jack, daily meds, we used to vary it between liver paté and potted meat paste and they would both come and remind us it was time for their pills if we forgot! Jack would go and stand by the dresser where they were kept and stare at them till I got them out for him. I think he'd have been pretty unimpressed without the tasty covering though!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest MissynDulcie

If you have access to them, raw chicken or duck hearts make excellent pill pockets. All you do is shove the pill inside and let them gobble it up, that's how we do it here

Guest snoopycomehome

Every night Gypsy gets her medicine in cheese, but if we couldn't do dairy...I think we would use Ravioli's. They are like Doggie Crack in our household. :lol

We do lots of raw, but we don't always trust the stores around here with cleanliness (for ourselves AND our pets), so we freeze all our raw immediately and then thaw out 2-3 days worth at a time. They :beatheart the ground beef!

If you have access to them, raw chicken or duck hearts make excellent pill pockets. All you do is shove the pill inside and let them gobble it up, that's how we do it here

We do chicken hearts almost every night...but for some reason the tiny pills we give won't go inside the vessel...but theoretically they would make perfect pill pockets! Maybe it's just our pills? We buy the chicken hearts by the $h!t-ton at our local Asian grocer. ;)

Edited by snoopycomehome

Guest MissynDulcie

Every night Gypsy gets her medicine in cheese, but if we couldn't do dairy...I think we would use Ravioli's. They are like Doggie Crack in our household. :lol

We do lots of raw, but we don't always trust the stores around here with cleanliness (for ourselves AND our pets), so we freeze all our raw immediately and then thaw out 2-3 days worth at a time. They :beatheart the ground beef!

We do chicken hearts almost every night...but for some reason the tiny pills we give won't go inside the vessel...but theoretically they would make perfect pill pockets! Maybe it's just our pills? We buy the chicken hearts by the $h!t-ton at our local Asian grocer. ;)

I don't know, I've never had a problem. I'm just giving heartworm preventatives 99% of the time though. The interceptor for the little dogs are pretty tiny, but who knows. I wish we had a local asian grocery store, I get the gizzards and hearts together at the regular grocery store when I can and I order chicken and duck hearts through Hare Today when I do an order.