Going Up Stairs

Guest Krizzy

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Go ahead and call me. If I dont answer, leave me a message. I will get back to you. Dont fret, this is easy peasy to take care of. Ask Batmom, she has one of my fosters, and her girl Gidget can run up and down stairs like a pro!

Chad

Oh, yes, I can vouch for Chad and Jen's foster Gidget -- she really is a stair pro!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Going down - I found it is helpful to have two persons, you to walk down beside the dog, and the second person to walk in front of the dog a couple of steps so he can't see "all the way down" - just to block his field of vision. A couple of times like this and he realizes that he can walk down, then he is not so fearful of the vision of the steps (kind of like us "looking off of a high diving board" it looks higher than it really is. They are pretty low to the ground so they are looking down 6-8 feet when they are walking at a 45 degree angle down.

Just an update- Hammer is greatly improving on the stairs. We bought carpet treds for the stairs at home depot and that seemed to help a lot. He is still working on it and in a few more weeks, he's got this. Treats are a big help. Thank you to everyone for your help and support :-)

We found that he doesn't like when we hold his collar and he likes to do it on his own (with us standing right next to him) We just use treats and encouragement :-)

Glad he is doing well!

My Joseph was a slow learner for going down especially. Who knows why.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest OurLacyandJax

We had our Molly for a week today. She is a slow learner compared to our other two, but boy, by about the second or third day, she was going down the carpeted stairs. Going up freaks her out - and I thought it must be the ladder type (see through) stairs in our first floor. But she was the same with the basement stairs too - and they are not ladder type.

So now the problem - especially since she seems to relish going down the stairs - is we are having to close out the stairs to the basement, since she expects me to 'rescue' her each time. And that gets tiring, since after the rescue, she runs down to the basement again, and starts asking for help.

Dang! She is training me!

My wife is so patient with the front paw, back paw step by step approach - but the one thing we'd try would be the hint mentioned above, stand behind her, and gently push her up with our front leg simultaneously. I think we forgot about that part completely.