We are still waiting on an exact diagnosis on Opie's tumor. The vet suspected osteo. So far the blood work looked very good, the xrays showed this lump on his rib, but nowhere else. Chest looked clear. The radiologist report came back, and I just heard part of it, but he is suggesting chondrosarcoma. We have an appointment on Monday at the oncology center, and all our reports, xrays, etc. will be there, and then will know more I guess.

But has anyone's hound ever had a rib(s) removed? I hear about leg amputations, but never about a rib tumor. I am just so overwhelmed right now with all the possibilities, and just trying to gather as much info as I can.

Any input would be appreciated.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

My dad had cancer in the muscle of his chest, so they removed 2 ribs (could have been 3) right over his heart, plus all the muscle. They put mesh in front to help protect the heart and he did fine. It was a pretty easy recovery. Much less pain than broken ribs because theres no bone rubbing bone. He also managed to keep a great range of motion of his arm which was a surprise since they removed some muscles in his shoulder.

Unfortunately the cancer had already spread, but no one knew that yet.

He had fibrosarcoma.

I know you asked about dogs, but I've never heard of it in a dog and my dads the only person I've heard of it with so I figured I'd tell you the experience.

Please get in touch with OSU. I'm sure someone will jump in with contact information--they're the canine cancer experts.

I can't imagine subjecting a dog to an invasive procedure like that unless it would CURE the disease--but even with osteo, amputation is just buying time. Fortunately Greyhounds are uniquelyl built to do beautifully on three legs.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yes, I have never heard of a rib tumor on this board, which is why I am asking all these questions. I don't know if removing a rib is an option, but I have looked it up online, and apparently it can and has been done. I don't know what our options will be - On Monday we are going to a Canine oncology center, and the vet is a graduate of OSU. She is knowledgeable about greyhounds. I am just so upset and scared, and trying to gather information. Opie is our only furchild and DH & I are just besides ourselves with fear and uncertainty. :(

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Haven't heard of rib removal in dogs. However, my brother had portions of five ribs removed due to a Candida (yeast) infection in his sternum. After bypass surgery, a suture let go, he was opened up IN ICU and that's how the infection started. Long story short, he lived for another decade with a heart that should have been replaced.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Tydyelady, My bridge girl Flossie was diagnosed with chondrosarcoma of the rib, at first the vet thought it was osteo, started as a small bump on her rib. As time went by Flossie seemed to be getting better not worse, I had her x-rayed again and sent the films to Penn University, they diagnosed the chondrosarcoma. The vet mentioned having the rib removed but I said no, not like a leg bearing weight so I was not afraid of her breaking anything. I got in contact with Dr. Couto, he said that chondrosarcoma was rare in greyhounds and a very slow moving cancer. I treated Flossie with Tramadol and Rimadal for pain management. She did fine for about a year and the last month she started to slow down, she never really seemed uncomfortable,she ate well and we walked every day up until her last day, when she lost the use of her back legs when she went out to potty before bed, not sure what caused her back legs to go, but the next morning I decided to help her cross the bridge. Flossie was 10 1/2 when she left me.

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Thank you for sharing about Flossie, and I am so sorry. So far, you are the first I have heard of with a grey that had a rib tumor. After Monday, when we go to the oncology vet, and have more to go on, I know we will have to make some decisions. Hearing other people's stories helps.

Thank you for sharing about Flossie, and I am so sorry. So far, you are the first I have heard of with a grey that had a rib tumor. After Monday, when we go to the oncology vet, and have more to go on, I know we will have to make some decisions. Hearing other people's stories helps.

I'm so sorry about Opie's diagnosis. :( TBSFlame's greyhound, Beecher, had a tumor on one of his ribs. I believe it was osteo, but I'm not positive. Hopefully she'll see this and will reply.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm so sorry about Opie's diagnosis. :( TBSFlame's greyhound, Beecher, had a tumor on one of his ribs. I believe it was osteo, but I'm not positive. Hopefully she'll see this and will reply.

I too remember someone on this forum that had a grey with a tumor on the rib that was osteo.

I'm really sorry about Opie's diagnosis.

Guest TBSFlame

Yes galgrey, it was Beacher and it was OS. The procedure is more difficult than removal of a leg. They put some kind of mesh in order to protect the organs in place of the ribs. Beacher hated the vet so we did not do the surgery. Beacher lived more than 6 months with good pain control. While you could see the tumor growing each day it didn't seem to bother Beech. He would lay on it. lol. It grew to softball size before we had to let him go. I really miss that laid back brindle boy. I am so sorry you are having to face this evil thing. Too many of our greys are taken by cancer.

Checking on Opie. :candle

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Well, I was waiting till we had all the results - we had the xrays, which the radiologist did not think osteo. That gave me some hope but I refused to get excited. Then we did the biopsy last Thursday, and just got the results back today . It is still not conclusive as to what type of cancer it is, but from the type of cells they are, and what they look like, it appears to be very aggressive. I am speaking to the oncologist in the morning - my vet called her to discuss before she called me. I have no idea what to do. I am sick, scared and numb.

The rib surgery sounds horrible, involved, and if they don't know what type of cancer it is (except that it is aggressive), I don't know what the odds are. And the cost. Damn, do I have to bring this up and factor it into my decision? Do I have to put a price on my boy's life? We are not rich people, surgery maybe $5-6000? I just looked up costs of ratiation, and it was $900-$3500 - this on top of surgery? OMG, how do I know what to do? This is killing me, my poor boy, I can't save him? I can't prolong his life because its out of our price range? How the heck do I make any kind of decision here? My heart is breaking, my tears are falling, and I don't to lose my boy.

I will be sending to OSU, at least to get a second opinion, but going there is out of the question, I am across the country.

I just don't know what to do. :(

I don't mean to sound like cost is the major factor - it is just one of them. With no diagnosis on what type of cancer, no odds on how much time surgery would buy him. But with the words aggressive tumor, it does not sound good. I will be speaking with the oncologist tomorrow to get some more information, and then sending everything to OSU. Maybe with more info I will feel more secure in any decision DH and I make. It just hurts like he@# to be in this position and making decisions like this for our beautiful boy, who at this moment in time is still so very full of life.

I don't mean to sound like cost is the major factor - it is just one of them. With no diagnosis on what type of cancer, no odds on how much time surgery would buy him. But with the words aggressive tumor, it does not sound good. I will be speaking with the oncologist tomorrow to get some more information, and then sending everything to OSU. Maybe with more info I will feel more secure in any decision DH and I make. It just hurts like he@# to be in this position and making decisions like this for our beautiful boy, who at this moment in time is still so very full of life.

Keeping all of you in my thoughts. :grouphug

I want to add that if you're struggling with cost, Care Credit gives you between 6 months and a yr of interest free payments. There is a steep catch though. If you don't pay off by the end of the time period, they charge back interest and theirs is very high. But at that point you can always move the balance to another account with no interest or a free interest promotion. I've used Care Credit a LOT. For the dentist I had a whole year to pay off $3000. For the emergency room and surgery on Opal I had 6 month to pay off $4000. I transferred that balance to a year free promotion with my current credit card.

I hope this helps.

Hoping you get some good info from the oncologist today.

In your position, I would think first about what type of cancer it is (or most likely is, or what the main possibilities are) and whether there is any effective treatment for it. Then think about what you want to do. Then figure out what it would cost.

It's almost always possible to do something. But that isn't always the most rationale or the kindest thing for dog or human.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.