Swollen Lymph Nodes - It Is What I Feared

I noticed recently that Beanie's lymph nodes under her jaw are swollen and hard. I checked her temp this morning and it is normal. What reasons are there for swollen lymph nodes, aside from infection or possibly cancer? http://forum.greytalk.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/sad.png

About 3-1/2 weeks ago I had her at the vet because she was not feeling well. Her temp then was close to 107°, but the odd thing was that her WBC count was not really high. My vet put her on Clavamox for a general antibiotic and doxycyclene in the event it was TBD related, because I've recently been battling a tick infestation. Her fever ran around 104°-105° for about 6 days. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with what is going on now, but wanted to note that in case it did. The soonest I can get into my regular vet to do a fine needle aspirate is next Thursday. If it happens to be what I fear it could be is time of the essence or does it really not matter?

Edited by 4My2Greys

It's most likely an infection, and in that case time *is* of the essence. If she's not on antibiotics now, I'd get her back on them. And make sure vet checks her mouth/teeth.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Unfortunately all they could do was a day earlier, so I kept the appt with her regular vet. I'm off Monday for a dental appt if she acts like she isn't well then I'll try to get her in on a walk in basis. Right now she's eating fine so I don't know if its related to her teeth.

A couple of months ago Buddy would yelp when I reached down and patted his right jaw. Went to vet and the one lymph node was swollen. Couldn't see anything wrong dental or otherwise so they put him on Cipro for at least a couple of weeks - maybe more - can't remember exactly how long. Went away and he's been fine ever since.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

A couple of months ago Buddy would yelp when I reached down and patted his right jaw. Went to vet and the one lymph node was swollen. Couldn't see anything wrong dental or otherwise so they put him on Cipro for at least a couple of weeks - maybe more - can't remember exactly how long. Went away and he's been fine ever since.

These are the kind of things I like to hear :) .

I was able to find and feel the submandibular, prescapular and popliteal. The submandibular and popliteal were easy to find and felt about the size of a grape. Tbd could definitely be a possibility considering the problem I've had with ticks and that was with all of them on Advantix.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Ok take a deep breath! My Grace, I rescued last Aug and knew when I brought her home in my heart she had cancer b/c I could see her swollen glands on her face and by her shoulder blades I could feel them. The vet, who had done bloodwork prior to me getting her, said it was normal. I brought her in and he thought it was an infection, redid the bloodwork and gave me antibiotics. I didn't give her the meds b/c I knew, being a cancer survivor myself and putting one down w/osteo earlier in the yr. I asked him to do a biopsy and it came back positive. Took her to the oncologist I used w/my other girl and started treatment about a month after her bloodwork. She was in stage 3 meaning it was in her whole body. I contacted OSU and they sent the 3 of the 4 meds that the Wisconsin Univ protocol uses. There is a vet I since found out, here in IL who tweaked the WU protocol and has had even better results. I can find out that information for you. The chemo treatments were from Oct to April with having to skip a few wks b/c of her blood levels. They may put her on prednisone when she starts to help the chemo at that point, and oh she will have to pee and drink a lot.

I hope she hasn't had steroids lately b/c that can change the effect of the chemo. I am happy to say after the 3rd treatment her lymph nodes where normal and its been 13 months since starting the treatment and she is in remission. :banana

I will say I have cut down dramatically on her carbs, and do no grain kibble. and got her on natural supplements now to help her immune system.

I will look at some of my books I used for reference and what supplements I did give her during treatment, have to be careful what to give due to wanting assist the chemo vs block its benefit. I will pass that on.

For anyone reading this one supplement that I HIGHLY recommend to help prevent CA is tumeric. I got a good brand of the spice vs the capsules and give it to my girls every day in their food.

If you have any ?s PM me. I know how overwelming it is. I also was unemployed when this happened, and not enough time to even get her on insurance. My rescue group was awesome and did fundraisers for her, even a middle school donated their $ from a fundraiser for her treatments.

There is hope, and you got it early. My vet was surprised I got it this early. I'm in the med field so I look for abnormalities. I also believe it was her vaccinations that caused this to exascerbate for the vet wouldn't have given her the shots if her felt her glands. She got all her shots since just coming up from the breeder at that visit and spayed. Very stressful on the immune system.

So there is hope...pray and your friends and family will give you support. Lymphoma is the one CA that has high success rates!

Hugs to you! Remember to breath and give Beanie a kiss from me!

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

Thank you everyone for your replies. If you would please keep Beanie in your thoughts that we might achieve remission.

Ok take a deep breath! My Grace, I rescued last Aug and knew when I brought her home in my heart she had cancer b/c I could see her swollen glands on her face and by her shoulder blades I could feel them. The vet, who had done bloodwork prior to me getting her, said it was normal. I brought her in and he thought it was an infection, redid the bloodwork and gave me antibiotics. I didn't give her the meds b/c I knew, being a cancer survivor myself and putting one down w/osteo earlier in the yr. I asked him to do a biopsy and it came back positive. Took her to the oncologist I used w/my other girl and started treatment about a month after her bloodwork. She was in stage 3 meaning it was in her whole body. I contacted OSU and they sent the 3 of the 4 meds that the Wisconsin Univ protocol uses. There is a vet I since found out, here in IL who tweaked the WU protocol and has had even better results. I can find out that information for you. The chemo treatments were from Oct to April with having to skip a few wks b/c of her blood levels. They may put her on prednisone when she starts to help the chemo at that point, and oh she will have to pee and drink a lot.

I hope she hasn't had steroids lately b/c that can change the effect of the chemo. I am happy to say after the 3rd treatment her lymph nodes where normal and its been 13 months since starting the treatment and she is in remission. :banana

I will say I have cut down dramatically on her carbs, and do no grain kibble. and got her on natural supplements now to help her immune system.

I will look at some of my books I used for reference and what supplements I did give her during treatment, have to be careful what to give due to wanting assist the chemo vs block its benefit. I will pass that on.

For anyone reading this one supplement that I HIGHLY recommend to help prevent CA is tumeric. I got a good brand of the spice vs the capsules and give it to my girls every day in their food.

If you have any ?s PM me. I know how overwelming it is. I also was unemployed when this happened, and not enough time to even get her on insurance. My rescue group was awesome and did fundraisers for her, even a middle school donated their $ from a fundraiser for her treatments.

There is hope, and you got it early. My vet was surprised I got it this early. I'm in the med field so I look for abnormalities. I also believe it was her vaccinations that caused this to exascerbate for the vet wouldn't have given her the shots if her felt her glands. She got all her shots since just coming up from the breeder at that visit and spayed. Very stressful on the immune system.

So there is hope...pray and your friends and family will give you support. Lymphoma is the one CA that has high success rates!

Hugs to you! Remember to breath and give Beanie a kiss from me!

Kathy, thank you very much for this post. I would love to have any information you can share, whether it be about supplements or chemo. All of her glands are affected so that would also put her at stage 3. I've already changed her diet to what Bruiser, diagnosed with HSA in June, is eating, a homecooked diet of 75% beef and 25% blend of vegetables. I am using no carbs. We are starting chemo Tuesday using I believe the Wisconsin protocol, but would be very interested in learning about the tweeks to it. She started the prednisone yesterday, so far she hasn't been drinking like I would expect her to.

My first girl had Lymphoma, she did really well on prednisone. Chemo has great remission rates. I'll keep Beanie in my thoughts. :grouphug

Edited by Valencia

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.