Dremmel Recommendations And Questions

Guest MissynDulcie

Guest MissynDulcie

I really wasn't sure where to put this, so I hope I picked the right spot. Dulcie, our 2 year old ex racer has been home with us almost 3 weeks now and she's been off the track 3 weeks prior to us adopting her. She had her nails dremmeled when she was spayed in the middle of October and now that she's settling in, I'd like to get a dremmel and start desensitizing her to it and doing her nails. I'd imagine a cordless dremmel would be best so I don't have to fight with the cord or pick somewhere next to an outlet, but how powerful should it be? I'm looking on Amazon right now and it looks like they go from 4.8 volts labeled as a pet kit which I'm assuming isn't good enough as pet kits aren't usually very good all the way up to a 12 volt which I imagine is much more powerful than I'd need. What kind is everyone else using? I'd like to get something that is powerful to get the job done, but one that's cost effective as well. Also, after I get the dremmel how do I go about introducing it and using it on her etc?

Just get whatever is at Wally World in the tool section. I tried one of their cordless ones and I could never keep it charged. The charge barely would last 2 dogs. I'm now using a corded one and I just put it on a 10ft extension cord.

The ones made for pets are pretty worthless for greyhounds.

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

I agree the pet one is not worth the money. We have also owned two cordless And the battery charge just does not last. With five dogs currently we have decided to go for corded with a long extension cord.

I have two that get nervous when I Dremel so one of us feeds treats while the other dremels. I use a long type soft treat and let the dog work at getting it from my hand a little bit at a time.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

I bought my dremel on Amazon and love it. It is cordless and has 2 speeds. The higher speed does the job on Annie Bella's nails perfectly. It has a removable, rechargeable "battery," and a charge, which only takes 3 hours anyway, lasts a long time. I dremel my girl's nails every 3 days and probably recharge only every 3 weeks or so.

If interested, the link is here:

http://www.amazon.co...et grooming kit

Re introducing it to your girl: She may have no issue with it. I introduced Annie to it by letting her sniff it and then, standing about a foot away, turning it on. She had no issues with it so I just started on her nails. She doesn't jump for joy when I say, "Time to dremel," but she does lay quietly, looking like the martyr Greyhounds do so well. :--)

ETA: The description on Amazon calls it a Pet Grooming Kit.

Edited by Feisty49

I have the 4.8 volt one posted in the link above, but not the pet kit version. The only difference is that mine came with some additional bits (that I never use) and it does not have a paw print on it. My battery stopped holding a charge after 2 years of dremeling one dog about every 5 days. I could not find a replacement battery, but since the whole unit is just $25 I bought a whole new one.

As far as getting your dog used to it; go slow, you might only do one nail a day, and lots of treats. Lila recommends a mini marshmallow after each toe. :)

Really good instructions here - http://www.bestfriendsddc.com/nails.html

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest kkaiser104

I bought my dremel on Amazon and love it. It is cordless and has 2 speeds. The higher speed does the job on Annie Bella's nails perfectly. It has a removable, rechargeable "battery," and a charge, which only takes 3 hours anyway, lasts a long time. I dremel my girl's nails every 3 days and probably recharge only every 3 weeks or so.

If interested, the link is here:

http://www.amazon.co...et grooming kit

Re introducing it to your girl: She may have no issue with it. I introduced Annie to it by letting her sniff it and then, standing about a foot away, turning it on. She had no issues with it so I just started on her nails. She doesn't jump for joy when I say, "Time to dremel," but she does lay quietly, looking like the martyr Greyhounds do so well. :--)

ETA: The description on Amazon calls it a Pet Grooming Kit.

I have this one too. I also have no issue with the cordless one, but I also only have one dog and I just throw it back on the charger every few weeks. My parents have 5 dogs and also have a cordless dremmel with no problems. But it's new, so I can't talk about how it'll last!

Doberdawn (www.doberdawn.com) used to have a fabulous dremel document. Hmmm, the website seems to be gone now. BUT I noticed that if you google "doberdawn dremel", the first hit is the .pdf file in question. I'm not sure if a link will work to it but, if it does, here it is: http://content.breederoo.com/users/sandstormrr/files/DoberDawn-how-to-dremel-nails.pdf.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest MissynDulcie

Doberdawn (www.doberdawn.com) used to have a fabulous dremel document. Hmmm, the website seems to be gone now. BUT I noticed that if you google "doberdawn dremel", the first hit is the .pdf file in question. I'm not sure if a link will work to it but, if it does, here it is: http://content.breed...remel-nails.pdf.

It worked, thanks a million!

I have a small rechargeable one with two speeds.

We've had it for over 10 years and the battery now only lasts for 2 dogs.

Probably time to get a new one...

Make sure your sandpaper does not get too worn down.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

What helpful info thanks. I'm in the market for a new one since the cordless, pet one I have takes FOREVER. It works, but takes too long. We have a regular dremel but I find it spins nearly too fast, and I don't like that there isn't a guard on it in case you miss. I ended up filing my own nails accidently!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Giselle

Make sure your sandpaper does not get too worn down.

This is the singlemost important thing I had to learn about Dremels. If the sandpaper gets worn out, it will not grind the nail effectively, but it WILL heat up. So, change your sandpaper head often. Feel it with your fingertips. If it feels soft, it's past time to throw it away.

I bought mine from Home Depot, so I guess it's the big 'ol 12V one. I NEVER go above the '2' setting, though. If you carefully counter-condition the animal, you should be able to Dremel your dog in ~15 minutes with no fuss or restraint. I teach all dogs to lay quietly until I'm done. Giselle (bless her) was the typical greyhound "martyr" as mentioned above, so she didn't need much training at all :)

Guest memadeit

I am on my third dremmel (The last one hubby bought). When I need a new one, I will be getting one with a cord. I'm tired of money going down the drain.

Guest MissynDulcie

I haven't been on in a little while, but I thought I'd update you guys. I got the cordless one in the link above somewhere, it's the dremmel brand and like 4.2 volts I think. Dulcie didn't really like it at first and we killed the battery just having her listen to it and touch her feet and nails with the body of the dremmel with it on. She got used to me doing it pretty quickly though and within 3 days of working with her every day, she started to just lay there and let me do it and only occasionally pull her foot away. I work through at least 2 paws but usually 4 to make sure her nails have more than enough time to cool down. Oh and I only do 3 to 4 quick touches to each nail at a time so still less than the 3 second limit. Anyway, she's doing great. I don't really have much to say about the battery life. Right now, she's the only dog that I use it on. I'm going to order the smaller attachment so I can get the smaller sanding bands to use on the little dogs since they are a nightmare to cut their nails. With just Dulcie using it, the battery life is fine, we'll see what happens later I guess.

Guest blueberri

I ended up shopping for one, too scared to clip my pup's claws after quicking him :(

The dremmel was $150... So we went with an Ozito one for $50, with all the usual fittings. The cord is plenty long, and it operates at a quiet hum. Sparks was quite happy having his nails done... More so when DH fed him some cheese :) very happy momma!!!

When I had one dog the cordless was great. I now have three and one of them has the hardest nails from HE double L. I invested in a corded and added an extension cord and no more problems. Even works on my girl with black-very hard nails. It did take me a bit to get used to the heavier machine attached to a cord, but now I love it. The doberman link about drummeling is terrific!

• 3 weeks later...