Pepcid - What Type And How Much?

Hailey continues to do really well since I first posted about her being diagnosed with kidney disease. The homemade diet, supplements and Chinese herbs have worked wonders and she looks better and has more energy than she has in months. She has even managed to put a few pounds back on!

She still has issues occasionally with a very rumbly tummy though. I've just put her back on daily dose of Omepral (a stomach protectant) but it is super-pricey (nearly $100 a month). Several of you mentioned Pepcid for CKD dogs, so I'm wondering if it would work as well and be less expensive. I will need to order it from the US since it's not available here, but I need to know what type (AC or Complete?) and what dosage she would need.

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Several of you mentioned Pepcid for CKD dogs, so I'm wondering if it would work as well and be less expensive. I will need to order it from the US since it's not available here, but I need to know what type (AC or Complete?) and what dosage she would need.

Do you not have any H2 blocker antacids available at all? The active ingredient in Pepcid is famotidine. There are also other drugs in the same class that work similarly (like Zantac, or ranitidine). Pepcid is just the easiest one to dose for dogs here in the U.S. Maybe you can find something similar without having to order from the U.S.?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Several of you mentioned Pepcid for CKD dogs, so I'm wondering if it would work as well and be less expensive. I will need to order it from the US since it's not available here, but I need to know what type (AC or Complete?) and what dosage she would need.

Do you not have any H2 blocker antacids available at all? The active ingredient in Pepcid is famotidine. There are also other drugs in the same class that work similarly (like Zantac, or ranitidine). Pepcid is just the easiest one to dose for dogs here in the U.S. Maybe you can find something similar without having to order from the U.S.?

Zantac is available here over the counter. How much should I give her? She's around 57lbs.

Edited by JerseyGirlInOz

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

What mg size does it come in? In the US, OTC Zantac comes in 75 mg. Typical dose is 1-2 mg/kg twice daily, so a 57 lb dog would get 1/2 of the 75 mg tablet. The brand name Zantac here comes in an odd pentagon shaped pill that is hard to split evenly, which is why I don't typically recommend it.

Jennifer &

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

What mg size does it come in? In the US, OTC Zantac comes in 75 mg. Typical dose is 1-2 mg/kg twice daily, so a 57 lb dog would get 1/2 of the 75 mg tablet. The brand name Zantac here comes in an odd pentagon shaped pill that is hard to split evenly, which is why I don't typically recommend it.

I'll take a look today.

Are there other brands that would be suitable?

The most common over-the-counter H2 blockers here are Pepcid and Zantac. Not sure what else you'd have available in Australia. Have you tried asking your vet about what other options there are?

Jennifer &

gtsig3.jpg

The most common over-the-counter H2 blockers here are Pepcid and Zantac. Not sure what else you'd have available in Australia. Have you tried asking your vet about what other options there are?

I found Zantac in the pharmacy---and it's in a round pill rather than the odd shape the US one comes in---but it is 150mg. I bought a pill splitter and was able to split it into 4 equal pieces. Would this suffice?

And to be honest, I haven't asked the vet because she really don't seem very interested in offering any treatments outside of what they have recommended. Any time I've consulted them with options for alternatives, they've taken a "Well, I don't know much about that, but I supposed it couldn't hurt to try" approach. And don't get me wrong---they've been very kind and supportive, just not particularly helpful.

Pepcid (brand)= famotidine (generic)

Zantac(brand)=ranitidine (generic)

Prilosec(brand)=omeprazole(generic)

this may help you find something locally :) Also, I can confirm, Manuka honey (about a spoonful) helps with digestive issues and no long term problems. My IBD dog gets it with every meal. It comes from New Zealand, so I should think it would be pretty easy for you to find :) Maybe in a health food store?

I found Zantac in the pharmacy---and it's in a round pill rather than the odd shape the US one comes in---but it is 150mg. I bought a pill splitter and was able to split it into 4 equal pieces. Would this suffice?

Yes, that should be fine. :)

Jennifer &

gtsig3.jpg

Pepcid (brand)= famotidine (generic)

Zantac(brand)=ranitidine (generic)

Prilosec(brand)=omeprazole(generic)

this may help you find something locally :) Also, I can confirm, Manuka honey (about a spoonful) helps with digestive issues and no long term problems. My IBD dog gets it with every meal. It comes from New Zealand, so I should think it would be pretty easy for you to find :) Maybe in a health food store?

What strength of Manuka do you use? She's not falling for the "tablets hidden in ground beef" trick anymore, so this might actually be helpful in getting her supplements into her. Jennifer do you know if Manuka is on the "OK" list for CKD?

Yes, that should be fine. :)

Thanks for that :)

What strength of Manuka do you use? She's not falling for the "tablets hidden in ground beef" trick anymore, so this might actually be helpful in getting her supplements into her. Jennifer do you know if Manuka is on the "OK" list for CKD?

I don't have much experience in the use of manuka honey, but it shouldn't hurt to try. The main restriction with CKD is to try to reduce phosphorus, but I don't think honey tends to be very high in Ph, and the relatively small amounts you'd be using are unlikely to cause a problem. It seems that most people are using manuka honey for inflammatory conditions like IBD, and it also has antibacterial properties and may help reduce allergies. So I'm not sure how much it would help GI upset secondary to CKD which is usually associated with stomach acid (hence the use of antacids like Zantac), but it probably won't hurt.

Regarding the tablets, one trick I've found that sometimes works is to first wrap the tablet tightly in cheese before hiding it in ground beef, or canned food, etc. The cheese protects the pill from starting to dissolve so the dog is less likely to notice it in the food. Not sure what you have available in Australia, but products like Pill Pockets and Pill Wrap also work in place of the cheese.

Jennifer &

gtsig3.jpg