Baseball Size Bump. :(

Guest Whippet

Guest Whippet

It just appeared out of nowhere. One day, he didn't have it, one day, it was there. It's huge. It's on his left side, towards the bottom of his rib cage.

He isn't feeling too good.

Yesterday, he was fine, running and playing, as usual, even this morning when I left for work...

But when I came back home, he was shaking, still is, he can't lie on the side where the bump is now...

I'll go to the vet, but in the meantime, any idea what it is?

Any suggestion on what I could give him to ease the pain?

Thanks...

Sophie.

I would get him to the vet now.

Hope it turns out to be nothing much!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Whippet

You can always call the emergency vet who is on call!

Unfortunately, I know he will tell me to wait until tomorrow anyway. Unless there is a birth gone bad or a torn limb, he won't do anything...

I'd be worried about a toxic spider bite. Can you check if he has a fever? Is he eating and drinking?

Like I said, it's winter here. Spiders have long dissapeared... Plus, I don't think we have any venimous spiders that far up north...

He is warm on the site of the bump, but he isn't very warm elsewhere, he didn't eat much at supper.

Please don't give pain meds. Almost all the meds--even simple stuff like aspirin--have washout periods, so that if you give him something, the vet can't give the better drug without a waiting period. Often, the washout period lasts several days.

Sorry.

I'd call the vet, even if he won't do anything. He might make a useful suggestion.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Is it mushy or hard? If it shifts in position to lower down his rib cage it could *just* be a hematoma that will eventually reabsorb. That may explain why it is warm to the touch.

:goodluck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Sounds like this may be trama related. Could he have hurt himself while running and playing. He could have a lovely hematoma. Look closely at the skin-see any bruising?

Edited to add]

Heh Ducky--greyt minds think alike :-)

Edited by tbhounds

The only other idea I could think of is an abscess ?? They usually appear very quickly, and can definitely cause pain, fever, loss of appetite (I have cleaned and drained many :P) . Does it feel like it is full of liquid or pus? I hope you can get to the vet early tomorrow!

Guest Whippet

Well, I just drove an hour to go to the next town's vet.

He took a sample from the bump and it was only blood, nothing else. He told me to wait a bit, see if it stablizes and becomes hard within the next few days.

If so, it was a good hematoma probably inflicted during rough play with my other two dogs. He also seems to be a bit in pain when he stretches his left side where the bump is. Could be because he hurt his ribs too.

Hopefully, it is nothing serious.

Thanks!

Glad it's just a hematoma. Don't be surprised if moves further south by morning.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Whippet

How is he this morning?

Yesterday morning (Thursday), he still wasn't eating and he was panting non stop. When I got home from work, he wanted to lick my bowl of soup clean so I let him do it. It looked like he had an appetite so I made him a chicken broth from a chicken I cooked the other day and he "ate" it all...

Then, I offered him some kibbles soften in water. He ate a bit.

He had half his usual breakfast this morning and this evening, I gave him soft kibbles again and he ate the whole thing. He also wanted to come on a car ride with me (I left to run a few errands) so things are looking good I think. :)

Hope his improvement continues. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)