Refusing To Walk With Anyone But Me

I am off dog walking for about 10 days due to recent knee surgery. The problem is my boy Hester refuses to walk with other members of the family. He will go out just long enough to do his business and than turn toward home. No amount of urging or treats will get him to change his mind. My wife and children are reluctant to be to forceful with the leash as we prefer to always be gentle with such an angel of a dog. They say they have tried pulling a bit but he really plants and looks very sad. Everyone else in the family feeds him, pets him, treats him nearly as much as I do.

I am touched by the bond and his devotion to me but this is ridiculous. I know it's only 10 days, but for a dog used to 3 hours walking minimum per day, I don't think he'll be too happy. I am also worried about the deeper implications of him being so stuck on one person. He gets a ton of love from all four of us, I just wish he would spread his around a little more. He hasn't budged from my side since I came back from the hospital, sniffs my leg every once in a while.

Maybe this just comes from being a bounce and knowing the pain of multiple separations. I get the impression that he feels safe from all his past pain and loneliness as long as he is with me and me alone. The definition of a velcro dog.

If anyone has any tips I'll take 'em.

Thanks.

Can't help you with the 'will only walk for me', although I have one who will only eat for me which can cause difficulties. So I do sympathise.

I can say that my two are used to about 1.5 hours a day. I was sick with the flu for nearly two months and in that time, they coped with two lots of 10 - 20 minutes a day most days. By the time I was better they were ready to bounce off the walls, but they were exceptionally well-behaved while I was actually sick and were, in fact, very gentle and loving with me during that time.

So, maybe the time won't matter much to your pooch, though the stuck on one person might be more difficult.

Good luck with your recovery.

I'm a dog walker and have some clients dogs do this to me. I'll list some things that work for me. Try high value treats. Have them pull the dog. Not mean, not yanking, just have them start walking and do not give the dog an option. Out stubborn the dog. If the dog plants it's feet and tries to go home have the person plant their feet and stand there for however long they need to until the dog decides to move. Also, never give in! Only let the operation turn towards home when the dog is walking where the person wants to go. Then the dog is getting what it wants by doing what the person wants. If they give in when the dog is stubborn then the dog learns what our can get away with. And lastly the car trick works, but just drive a few blocks over and walk however long and finish at the car and drive home again. Sometimes driving 2 houses down is enough.

Good luck.

Oh, I recommend other family members take the pup to positive reinforcement training classes for some fun bonding to help in the future.

Edited by Sambuca

Guest memadeit

I'm a dog walker and have some clients dogs do this to me. I'll list some things that work for me. Try high value treats. Have them pull the dog. Not mean, not yanking, just have them start walking and do not give the dog an option. Out stubborn the dog. If the dog plants it's feet and tries to go home have the person plant their feet and stand there for however long they need to until the dog decides to move. Also, never give in! Only let the operation turn towards home when the dog is walking where the person wants to go. Then the dog is getting what it wants by doing what the person wants. If they give in when the dog is stubborn then the dog learns what our can get away with. And lastly the car trick works, but just drive a few blocks over and walk however long and finish at the car and drive home again. Sometimes driving 2 houses down is enough.

Good luck.

Oh, I recommend other family members take the pup to positive reinforcement training classes for some fun bonding to help in the future.

My one grey did this cause he just didn't want to go on walks. We did that with someone pushing him from behind. We did it for a complete walk. He got the message after that one walk.