After Wounds Heal, Fur Grows Back Pure White!

a_daerr

Truman has had a couple small wounds (nothing major, no stitches). I'm finding that after his wounds heal, the new fur grows back pure white. It's especially noticable on his tail, where he had all the "happy tail" issues and ultimately, a partial amputation. He also has a few spots on his back where it looks like he rubbed up against white paint. Very strange! Anybody else's hounds have this?

Saint's hair would come back white when he would wound himself during a seizure. He had a long cut on his head after one and the hair grew back white so he had a white line on his head for years. I had forgotten this until now.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Weird! Astro's all white but when he hurts himself, the fur grows back BLACK!

Mine too! I almost mentioned that in my other post. My black dog had white spots grow in & it looks like the white dog has black spots grown in. I say "looks like" because I really have wondered if I was loosing my mind. Now that you've said this I think I'm not. (OK, I really am but this isn't a sign of it.)

Guest Symphony7

When Bedlingtons get a scratch the hair grows back black. Then it gradually turns white over time, just like the puppy coat going from black to white/blue with age. :)

Horses do get the white hairs from injuries, you usually see them on the back where there has been an ill-fitting saddle that pinches in spots.

And white horses' hair will grow in black, too.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Sparks was black and the fur came back white after his staph infection.

Thunder also black and has seizures, has a white spot on his rump :)

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

The injury damages the skin enough to alter the pigment in the hair follicles but not destroy them altogether. It's the same principal that lies behind freeze branding in livestock. A freeze brand will grow back white when a hot brand will not grow back at all.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

The injury damages the skin enough to alter the pigment in the hair follicles but not destroy them altogether. It's the same principal that lies behind freeze branding in livestock. A freeze brand will grow back white when a hot brand will not grow back at all.

Huh. Well, there's the science behind it. Very interesting.

Guest Nekos_Mommy

I've worked with horses my whole life and seen this many times. It Seems that after injuries that break the skin, Some animals lose pigment in the skin that grows back. Perfectly normal!

Here is a picture of the scar on Saint's head. You can see the straight white line, that's where he cut himself having a seizure years ago. He had that white line until he went gray all over his face and head.

Saint.jpg

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Symphony7

The

The hot brands will grow back normal colored hair depending on how it's done. I believe if you apply it too long the scarring will never grow back hair, but if you apply for the correct amount of time the scarring will be slight enough to leave the hair follicles intact. In Warmbloods, they brand as babies generally, and it's a quick singe on the hip. The ideal is to have the hot brand applied so the hair grows back for it to be visible. My 5 year old is branded and the hair sticks out a bit in the summer so his brand is very visible, just looks slightly darker because the hair grows out of the underlying scar raised a bit. Unfortuanately in the winter he's so fuzzy that it disappears. :)

Truman is very handsome and I think the raccoon tail just makes him more handsome! :kiss2

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Wow, how weird. I don't think I remember this happening to either of my black girls. Maybe it doesn't happen to all of them? Either that or it did happen and I just thought they were going grey in a weird way. :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

My dark brindle girl has several scars from when she was attacked. I just had to go talk a closer look, but it appears her hair grew back the same. She is a very hairy girl and I have to push the hair back to find them. I think I'm glad this is the case because her injuries were very traumatic for both of us. A daily reminder I'd rather not have.