Whining To Go Potty Vs. Whining To Eat

Guest RMarie

We're lucky...even though James no longer sleeps in our bedroom and has free reign of the entire house, we does come upstairs and whines by our bedside to let us know when he needs to go potty. But, now he's taking to whining to get us up to feed him early. Is there a way to teach him that it's ok to get us up to go potty, but it's not ok to get us up to eat early? I'm hesitant to dismiss his whining because I don't want to teach him that all whining is bad. And, for those of you who will respond and tell me that we need to get his pooping on a schedule so that he won't need to go potty early, I agree...but we're still recovering from a bout of diarrhea and adjusting to new food (Iams green bag), which is, so far, causing him to poop a lot more frequently (although firm). I don't want to have an accident in the house if I can avoid it.

I have had this happen also. I increased his feeding by giving him a snack of a handful of food around 6:30-7:00 pm.

Lou was waking up whining and barking which he only does when hungry. Make sure he goes out to potty before bedtime. You

also can try adding something to food like a little tuna. The food, which I also use, might not be sustaining him.

How much r u feeding during the day and how often? It is a trial and error thing, it will work out.

As far as going out at night, Lou wakes me up during the night daily to go out but that's just the way it is.

I rather that then an accident. Good luck, you will get plenty of help on this site.

If in doubt, take him out and then straight back to bed. Feed only at the usual time (after your alarm goes off, or after your shower / coffee / whatever).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If in doubt, take him out and then straight back to bed. Feed only at the usual time (after your alarm goes off, or after your shower / coffee / whatever).

Totally agree!

He needs a scheduled feeding times

We stopped taking Kasey out in the middle of the night after discovering he likes to eat "poo pucks" and one night hubby went in the backyard to go fetch him because he wouldn't come when called, and hubby slipped and fell. That was the end of potty in the middle of the night just because he whined to go eat his delicacy. He learned to wait till our schedule to go out.

We ensure tanks are fully empty before bed and they they go out in the morning when we get up. Obviously, now because going out in the middle of the night doesn't happen regularly, if either of them do whine on the odd occassion we know they NEED to go potty in the middle of the night, and then take them and it's right to business.

I understand many don't have bladders of steel and I don't blame either one of them if they have a bout of D and need to go - better outside than in the house, but IMO if you can get him on a good schedule, there should be no whining to go out to potty or for food at random times of the night. If he does whine in the middle of the night, take him out to potty, but refuse to feed him. He'll learn soon enough that he's not getting food via this method, even if he's bluffing to go potty.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest kkaiser104

Teddi knows that he doesn't get breakfast until after I get up or after my alarm goes off (between 8 and 10am). He very rarely has to go out before that--his last out is right before bed. Occasionally he'll whine at me a little while before I get up. Normally I just ask him to be quiet, and if he keeps whining and hops of the bed I know that he needs to go out. He doesn't get breakfast until after my alarm goes off.

Just get him on a schedule and he'll adapt!

We were on a great schedule as far as pooping and peeing goes. His food schedule is still the same (except for days when we have obedience class, where we give him half his dinner a little earlier than usual, and then the other half as treats during class). But, this new food makes him poop a lot more often. Now, is it as urgent as diarrhea, probably not. But, ever since his bout of gut inflammation and diarrhea not that long ago (see my post in the Food forum entitled "Food Intolerance" for more info), I'm hesitant to ignore his whining. But, I feel like he's taking advantage of the situation. Before his diarrhea, he did not whine all that often, and when he did, we felt confident ignoring him. But now, we get up out of fear of having a mess to clean up if we ignore him. And once we're up, he thinks it's time to eat. We used to just go back to sleep on the couch. James would lay down in his crate. Lately, though, after about 10 minutes of laying down, he gets up and whines and barks wanting to be fed. He did this to me this morning, so I went upstairs to bed. He whined a bit more, then went back downstairs to his crate.

When we first got him he as on a strict diet (no treats), so we did not treat after going potty. We still don't, except for situations when we need him to empty right then and there. Should I start treating him now, thinking it will hold him over until breakfast? Or would he likely just want more?

Guest memadeit

My one grey would be in her glory if I would get up in the middle of the night just to feed her every time she whines. After having her for over 5 years, she still trys it. I tell her to hush and if she keeps it up, I asked if she needs to pee (If she does, then she will bark in a certain way once) If not, then I sternly tell her to hush and go back to bed. And she still has to have the last word before she will lay back down.

I had a foster like this. I am not a morning person and every hour starting at 4 or 5 he would wake me up. I started feeding dinner at bedtime followed by a walk and immediately started sleeping until I woke up or at least a reasonable time. I've kept on that schedule since and I've gotten all of my fosters to easily sleep until 10 or 11 pretty early on. I still do with my dogs and Sailor will sleep past noon. I have to drag Bu out of bed by his collar every day, so he doesn't count.

When he wakes you up to potty, don't give him any food or much attention say all. Say"good dog" maybe give him a pat on the head, but those potty trips should be business only. If you give him attention or treats he may start waking you up for those. I'm not saying be mean or anything but, just a quick "ok, lets go" to go out and a "good dog" when they come in should be all the interaction so hes not getting rewarded for waking you up. He should eventually learn that the only thing he gets for waking you up is a trip outside.

Edited by Sambuca

He did it again this morning. He got DH up about 3:30 a.m. This time, he peed, no poop. DH walked him last night even later than usual, in an effort to avoid being woken up early. Perhaps the antibiotic is making him pee more. Anyway, DH slept on the couch after that and James tried 3 more times to get him up via barking at him. DH figured out that if he covers his head completely by blankets, James won't bark. Go figure. I think we might try splitting his dinner: half at normal time, the other half after our nightly walk. Or, perhaps a snack just before bed.

Pick meal times that work for YOU. Feed him then. Period.

I find it very amusing the number of people that tend to respond that they do things like keep food by their bed to hush the dog up, etc. Which is exactly how you teach a dog to whine when it wants food.

Unless a dog is sickly, they are NOT going to come to any harm if they feel a bit of hunger from time to time.

When George asks to go out in the middle of the night, I get up, take him out, give him NOTHING (except a "good dog" as he's peeing) and go straight back to bed. I don't ignore it (he has pee problems) but I do not reward it with affection or playtime or snacks. This greatly reduces the "reward" in his mind, and he only asks to go if he really has to because there's not much in it for him if he doesn't.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd revive this thread to let you all know what happened this morning. So, the last few months James teeter-totted between sleeping all the way through the night and waking up between 2:00 and 5:00, asking to go outside (not asking for food), though none of the trips were emergencies. We'd ignore him as long as we could. Sometimes he'd pace for a while, so we'd let him out, sometimes he'd go lay back down, so we'd all sleep til the alarm went off. There seemed to be no rhyme or rhythm to when he asked. He's on a strict schedule with food and water and walking. We've noticed that over the last couple of weeks, when he's let outside, he furiously sniffs the porch, flower beds, and yard, before going #1 or #2.

Well, we figured out what has him asking to go outside at random hours..a possum outside the window that's beside his crate in the living room. DH let James out this morning after he kept pacing the hallway. James ran around the side of the house and there was a huge possum cornered against the house. Before DH could get to James to remove him from the situation, the possum whipped around and nipped James in the leg. James yelped and ran back to the house (good boy!). DH brought him inside, examined the wound, and cleaned it up. DH went back outside and had to keep whipping a dish towel at the possum to get it to leave the yard. DH called the E-vet and they told him that as long James has been vaccinated against rabies (he has...3-year vaccine), he will be fine. I called Animal Control this morning, but was informed that they only service the city proper, in which we do not live, so now I have to figure out who to call to set traps.

James seems fine, albeit even MORE interested in the flower bed and porch than before. The wound was so small that when I got up this morning, DH couldn't even find it to show me. From now on, James will only be let out on a leash until the culprit(s) is(are) caught!

Guest lanielovesgreys

We're currently training Vivie to stop with the whining. It started like that. She'd wine when she needed something. And that was ok for a long while. But then she started pushing the boundary. Like whining if Laika is in her favorite bed. Or whining an hour before dinner. It went from "please" whining to "NOW" whining. So that was the end of that. We just don't respond when she's whining. Even if she REALLY needs to go out, she can wait 2 minutes until she stops whining. Then I let her out. Same with dinner. Or waking up in the morning. Now she asks me for things by walking up to me and staring. :lol This is ok. Or standing by the door. These are all polite ways to ask for something.

She still whines some, but not even close to what it used to be. And it's only been 3 weeks. We had been "rewarding" her whining for 3 years.

Your hound has you trained well...

Apparently, the point of my post has been missed. I posted about the possum as an explanation as to James' seemingly random requests to go outside. Since my original post, James has learned that whining will not result in early feeding and we've learned to ignore him. He only whines now to be let outside. Most of the time we do ignore him and he goes back to bed. But, there have been times over the last several weeks where, despite the same strict schedule, he insisted on going outside. Now we know why.

And judge me all you want, but if my dog is pacing the house and won't lay down, I'm going to put him outside. The last time he got diarrhea, it was completely unexpected. So, yeah, if he really wants to go outside, we put him outside. We'd rather lose sleep then potentially clean up a mess.

Apparently, the point of my post has been missed. I posted about the possum as an explanation as to James' seemingly random requests to go outside. Since my original post, James has learned that whining will not result in early feeding and we've learned to ignore him. He only whines now to be let outside. Most of the time we do ignore him and he goes back to bed. But, there have been times over the last several weeks where, despite the same strict schedule, he insisted on going outside. Now we know why.

And judge me all you want, but if my dog is pacing the house and won't lay down, I'm going to put him outside. The last time he got diarrhea, it was completely unexpected. So, yeah, if he really wants to go outside, we put him outside. We'd rather lose sleep then potentially clean up a mess.

I 'got it' !!

And I don't think you were being over reactive to a snarky remark.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Ah yes wandering wildlife. The possums wake us up too and cause much excitement in our house. the worst is the sudden bark in the middle of the night from beside the bed which wakes you from a dead sleep and leaves you wondering how to unhook the fingernails from the ceiling and drop gracefully back into bed. We found our possum outside our bedroom window less than 2 feet from Paige's bed.

Glad you figured things out.

You may be able to purchase a large raccoon/cat-sized Hav-a-hart trap, IF you are allowed to move the critter when you catch it. We live in the city so we need to contact the proper pest removal services and are not allowed to move (or "be in possession of") wildlife.

Glad you figured out the cause, and wish you luck in making your yard less attractive to the little monsters. Or not so little, sometimes.

Edited by Fruitycake

You may be able to purchase a large raccoon/cat-sized Hav-a-hart trap, IF you are allowed to move the critter when you catch it. We live in the city so we need to contact the proper pest removal services and are not allowed to move (or "be in possession of") wildlife.

Glad you figured out the cause, and wish you luck in making your yard less attractive to the little monsters. Or not so little, sometimes.

You wouldn't believe how many phone calls I had to make to find someone to set traps. First, I called Animal Control. Well, they only service the "city," in which I do not live. They said call the local borough or non-emergency police number and see if they contract with anyone. So, I call the borough. Nope, they used to contract with someone, but not anymore. The woman at the borough office said she also had a possum in her yard last year and gave me the number of the guy she used. I call that guy. Nope, "we don't do possums." **?! Raccoons...but not possums....whatever (I was starting to think I was "going to have to take matters into my own hands"). So, they tell me to call Critter Control. Ahhh, yes...finally someone who traps possums...for a very pretty penny. But, the traps were already set by the time we got home tonight. **fingers crossed we catch 1 or 2** Course, if we do, I'm sure their squeals will wake James up, again, tonight.

This is what James is like after a night of being tormented by a possum:

photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG