Science Diet Warning

jenners

I can't speak to the veracity of the warning but I wanted to post it for all of you:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Science Diet has recently acquired a patent to use polyethylene in their

products. The purpose is to extend the shelf life of their products.

Polyethylene is a common plastic that is widely used to create plastic bottl es,

plastic bags, plastic films, and many more products. Using this plastic in food

could be dangerous for you and your pets. Many people are not aware of the

potential side effects. It is possible that polyethylene products can cause

cancer. PetsitUSA will keep you updated with news on these products, but you may

want to consider avoiding these products, especially reusing plastic bottles.

Update: You can find more information on the low-density polyethylene at

http://www.medicinenet.com/plastic/page4.htm.

Update #2: You can find information about the patent at the following link:

http://patft.uspto.gov.

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

We dropped SD back when there was the big pet food scare several years ago and have made homemade food only. Unfortunately dog food companies will do what they need to do to extend the life of the product artificially.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

It's sensationalism. They applied for a patent for the use of dissolvable coatings, primarily starch-based, to increase product shelf life, block odors such as those from fish oil, deliver nutrients further down the digestive tract than the mouth, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Exactly. They have debunked this internet rumor umpty-gazillion times already on their Facebook page. It is a patent for a process. They do not now nor do they plan to add plastic to their food: they have stated this clearly.

SD is by far one of the safer foods you can buy, in terms of their supply chain, their testing, the fact that they make their own food rather than contracting it, and the fact that they actually do feeding trials. Except for a tiny, tiny portion of their line in 2007, they have had zero recalls, something you can't say for lots of other companies.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest OurIndy

Exactly. They have debunked this internet rumor umpty-gazillion times already on their Facebook page. It is a patent for a process. They do not now nor do they plan to add plastic to their food: they have stated this clearly.

SD is by far one of the safer foods you can buy, in terms of their supply chain, their testing, the fact that they make their own food rather than contracting it, and the fact that they actually do feeding trials. Except for a tiny, tiny portion of their line in 2007, they have had zero recalls, something you can't say for lots of other companies.

Exactly! Science Diet exercises rigorous quality control (unlike many smaller "natural" food companies) and is one of the safest foods you could feed your hound. And luckily, they are not adding plastic to their kibble :)!

Guest memadeit

But dog and cat food is the "best" thing to feed your pet. People seem to forget that dogs have been around a lot more years then premium dog food. Its not ok for humans, but its ok for pets. Industries make me sick and people are worse. Last time I was in the woods, there werent any dog food trees out there.