We Are Getting A Deer For Our Pups...

Guest FrankieWylie

If they are wild, you may want to freeze the meat for a bit to kill off any parasites they may have. Also....if they do have parasites they will likely be in the intestines/stomach so be especially careful of that. Otherwise, the other meat and organs are usually much healthier than factory farmed meat. I have had some dogs who just cannot tolerate venison, and have also heard others say this as well. Hopefully yours do okay with it!

Guest Wasserbuffel

Basically what RedHead said. I butcher deer in the fall. I keep back all the scrap meat (the stuff too gamey for people to want) for the dog. This year I was able to put 80lbs away in the freezer! A local pet store sells the stuff for $8 a pound.

If your dogs can't tolerate venison raw, cooked can sometimes help. Or mixing it with another meat that's less rich can help too. I'm mixing Jayne's with chicken to increase the fat content and for the bones.

Guest FrankieWylie

They had their first taste of venison tonight. Sherry, our non food motivated girl went NUTS! She was scouting out the boys' bowls to make sure there were no leftovers. She's never done that!

Guest FrankieWylie

Sherry has never....never jumped out of bed for breakfast. This morning? Up and running! She loves this meat.

I'm going to make some treats out of it to use for her during our training sessions. Hopefully this is what I need to get good eye contact out of her ;)

I've been reading about venison to feed to my dog.I did find out that there is a disease called Chronic Wasting Disease that is affecting deer and elk in certain parts of the country.It's similar to mad cow disease. It's a protein that enters the brain,lymphatics and marrow of infected animals and is fatal. So far, there has been no reports of crossover to other species but to play it safe it's recommended to make sure none of these parts of the deer are eaten.

It may not be venison, but I feed my dog duck and goose from time to time during the Fall and Winter months. It makes a great treat dehydrated or I'll cook a little on the side when I'm preparing duck or goose for myself. I always cook it in some way so I can't comment on how raw would go. Glad to hear the pups are enjoying the meat! Lucky dogs!

Guest MissynDulcie

I feed prey model raw to my gang (5 dogs and 2 cats) and I'm totally jealous of you! I'd so love to get my hands on venison for them. Feed anything and everything, even the intestines and stomach if you're willing to squeeze out all the stuff inside and rinse out the stomach. I wouldn't do it as it's nasty and the nutrition content is lower in those parts anyway. To kill parasites, freeze solid for at least 3 weeks, the time doesn't start counting until the meat is actually frozen solid so don't forget to factor that in.

I've been reading about venison to feed to my dog.I did find out that there is a disease called Chronic Wasting Disease that is affecting deer and elk in certain parts of the country.It's similar to mad cow disease. It's a protein that enters the brain,lymphatics and marrow of infected animals and is fatal. So far, there has been no reports of crossover to other species but to play it safe it's recommended to make sure none of these parts of the deer are eaten.

Better safe than sorry. I'd avoid feeding them any part of the spine or brain. CWD has infected both deer and elk in our area. Since it is a prion that causes the disease and not a bacterial or viral infection, it is not destroyed by cooking or freezing. I hadn't heard about it residing in the marrow - I thought it was strictly a nervous system disease like mad cow.

Glad your crew is enjoying the venison! We're getting a chest freezer soon and I hope next deer/antelope/turkey season we'll have some wild game meat in there to share with the hounds.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest wylie_coyote

Yea, no spine or brain for us LOL! ;)

So far they have only had ground venison. We encountered looser stools, so we just are careful to give them a good amount of bone with it now. They are all loving it.

Can't wait to have an entire deer LOL. So silly the things we get excited about. But, free dog food is exciting!

From my research, it appears that there have been no known/recognized cases of prion diseases native to canids. As far as I can find.

Monty got some trimmings from the deer that my boss' son and husband killed, and he absolutely loved it! The two years that my husband went out hunting it was basically just a chance to sit out in the cold and listen to the birds and think about how nice it would be to be warm again. And now I don't work with anyone that actually manages to kill anything when they go hunting, so poor Monty is neglected. (so he'd like you to think)

Guest FreeholdHound

Ha! According to our neighbors we already own three deer ;)

All of ours are red/fawn :)

Harry has 2 deer that he bonds with every night. They all just stand there staring at each other :)

• 3 weeks later...

Free venison! AWESOME!!!!! Did you also get the bones? When my friends hunt they keep all the meat - that's why they hunt - but I somethimes get the bones for the dogs. With lots of meaty goodness still stuck on. Deer ribs and legbones are fabulous for the teeth.

Verison is a great meat for dogs - very lean - and they all love it.

Oh - no brains - no guts - that's just icky.

If your'e getting the whole deer - you might seriouly want to consider keeping the terderloin to eat yourself. The dogs won't miss it.