Puppy Food?

Guest WhiteWave

i would still ask about the flagyl. have you thought about baby proofing the cupboards? my friend has a youngster who can't be left loose alone. he too cleans out the pantry- diaherria for a week after he ingested all of the kid's treats right after she restocked post costco shopping excusion. she has 3 non-track greys who she has brought up since wee pups and this on is just a junk food junkie!

Guest WhiteWave

Tonights poop is shaped and firmest it has ever been. Problem- weight loss. Same issue I had with Riddick anytime I fed him a grain free food even high protein/fat. As soon as we dropped grain, Riddick lost weight and Joey is doing the same. I can see all his ribs just in 2 days.

What is surprising is, even with the loose stool, he maintained his weight, but on this food, having firmer poop, he is losing weight. The Yukon is 33% protein but only 15% fat w/ 398kcal/cup. The Hi Pro was 30% protein/ 20% fat w/ 425kcal/cup. I am feeding the same amount b/c I didn't want to overload him. I am going to try to add 1/2 cup at lunch time and keep feeding 1 1/2 cup AM/PM and see how it goes. He is 4 1/2 months old now and not sure on weight.

Tonights poop is shaped and firmest it has ever been. Problem- weight loss. Same issue I had with Riddick anytime I fed him a grain free food even high protein/fat. As soon as we dropped grain, Riddick lost weight and Joey is doing the same. I can see all his ribs just in 2 days.

Ah... Sorry to hear this. When I got Truman, I thought dietary problems would be the least of our worries, since he was a clean slate and didn't have any intolerances from the track. We have as many, if not more issues with him as we did with Henry. Who knew?

Ah... Sorry to hear this. When I got Truman, I thought dietary problems would be the least of our worries, since he was a clean slate and didn't have any intolerances from the track. We have as many, if not more issues with him as we did with Henry. Who knew?

I hear you. Lilly has good poop but she is THE. PICKIEST. EATER. EVER. I hold my breath every meal wondering if she's going to eat or not. My ex-racers snarf up their food in about 2 minutes. They'll eat just about whatever I put in their bowl.

She's NOT little either. At 14 1/2 months she weighs 74 (probably more by now) pounds and is almost 35 inches at the shoulder. With all of that, her chest is super skinny and I can span it with the palm of my hand. She's got loooong legs, long tail, long neck, long body, long everthing. I keep waiting for her to start putting some bulk on - then maybe she'll eat better!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

as to lilly, she's very young. give her time(like 3-4years) to fill out.

large dogs can take a really long time to fill out. i've had people scream from their car windows as they passed by,"i'm calling the humane society- your starving your dog!" if they are healthy(lilly's owner didn't list any digestive complaints) then don't worry. a 4.5 month old puppy is busy busy growing. check out neversaynever's blog. she had a new akc greyhound who she is reporting on weekly. jennifer might be a good contact for food info, she feeds raw or at least mostly raw to many but not all of her greys. it's also interesting reading her new pup's antics!

Yes, Lilly is perfectly healthy, just picky! ;)

What is Lilly's birthday? Truman's is 8/31/11, so he is almost 15 months. They must be really close in age. He is the same way- a huge string bean. All legs, very deep chest. But his hip plates and butt area are no wider than my spread-out hand. I'm still supplementing him with canned Nutro in the hopes he will fill out. He's not picky at all though- he'll eat cat poop and grass all day if you let him. :colgate

Guest rennina

She's NOT little either. At 14 1/2 months she weighs 74 (probably more by now) pounds and is almost 35 inches at the shoulder. With all of that, her chest is super skinny and I can span it with the palm of my hand. She's got loooong legs, long tail, long neck, long body, long everthing. I keep waiting for her to start putting some bulk on - then maybe she'll eat better!

Not related to this post, but I'm curious. Is she spayed already? I've seen some females having long legs, long everything, usually taller than 30 inches, due to early spay (before 18 months).

I hear you. Lilly has good poop but she is THE. PICKIEST. EATER. EVER. I hold my breath every meal wondering if she's going to eat or not. My ex-racers snarf up their food in about 2 minutes. They'll eat just about whatever I put in their bowl.

Thank goodness I do not have this issue with my pup. The second week I had her she quit eating for about 4 days. Lost weight. Then started eating again and is a totally ravenous beast all the time now. It's great. :) Except she needs to slow down her growing. I sure hope she's going to be about 60lbs. I don't want her too big for agility!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Yes, Lilly is perfectly healthy, just picky! ;)

What is Lilly's birthday? Truman's is 8/31/11, so he is almost 15 months. They must be really close in age. He is the same way- a huge string bean. All legs, very deep chest. But his hip plates and butt area are no wider than my spread-out hand. I'm still supplementing him with canned Nutro in the hopes he will fill out. He's not picky at all though- he'll eat cat poop and grass all day if you let him. :colgate

Not related to this post, but I'm curious. Is she spayed already? I've seen some females having long legs, long everything, usually taller than 30 inches, due to early spay (before 18 months).

September 24, 2011 so she and Truman are about the same age. She's so picky she won't even eat treats sometimes.

Yes, we did go ahead and spay her at 6 months. We went back and forth for a long time - talked with our vet, talked with greyhound people here we trust, researched and asked on GT - and decided to go ahead and do it. The other issue with her is that both her parents are apparently HUGE and stocky. They both purebred Irish greyhounds, and the Mom weighs a good 80 lbs. Dad is supposedly bigger. We'll just wait and see how she turns out - it's just really frustrating sometimes. :D

Anyway.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...................................................... ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest rennina

Yes, we did go ahead and spay her at 6 months. We went back and forth for a long time - talked with our vet, talked with greyhound people here we trust, researched and asked on GT - and decided to go ahead and do it. The other issue with her is that both her parents are apparently HUGE and stocky. They both purebred Irish greyhounds, and the Mom weighs a good 80 lbs. Dad is supposedly bigger. We'll just wait and see how she turns out - it's just really frustrating sometimes. :D

Anyway.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...................................................... ;)

Thanks for the info. I was just suspecting that greyhounds mature more slowly than other breeds do, so females shouldn't be spayed too early (don't know about the boys). I haven't done serious research on this , but I definitely won't have my girl spayed before she reaches 18 months. Her vet actually agreed with me on this. A lot of spay and neuter are recommended too early. Anyway, I think 6 months may not be bad since she is healthy :) And back to the thread, I'm so relieved to know that I'm not alone. Every time I put my girl's bowl down I hold my breath: please, please, could you please eat all of your food this time?

Guest WhiteWave

Poop is still firmer. He is eating 4 cups a day 1 1/2 AM, 1 cup lunch 1 1/2 cup PM. 1 tablespoon salmon can food and 500 mg Glutamine w/ each meal. I am wondering if he has an issue with grain or a certain protein. Since the Victor has beef, pork, chicken and fish. He seems fine with fish so far. I may have to try feeding limited ingredient foods to rule out what was causing the issue.

I have no issues with him eating. He eats everything that isn't nailed down and some things that are. He is scrawny and I think always will be b/c the rescue neutered him at 7 weeks, plus the broken leg is not as muscled as the other leg. If it had been up to me, I would have waited until he was at least 18 months if ever to neuter, I don't feel neutering male dogs is beneficial.

I don't want her too big for agility!

Truman is over 80 pounds, and he somehow managed to walk on the beam (milkcrate height) in our last training class! Albeit, very clumsily, but he made it happen!

Yes, but I want her to be competitive so she needs to be closer to 60 lbs. When they get too big they get clumsy! Summit is pretty good on the equipment but he does have trouble with his hind end sometimes and he's 75 lbs.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

felix and the rest of his opps litter were also adopted out at 7 weeks- rescued at 5 days and bottle fed. he is now close to 78-9#s, 5.5yrs old- but when he was still maturing- he was in the mid 60#s range for ever. he finally hit 70# around 4 years of age. that's a long time to reach his mature weight. he was neutered at 9 months since his hormones were raging and it was a battle to get him to focus when training.i was really concerned about bone development and felix's physique being hampered by neutering. well, he's solid as a rock! he's not as broad as my female- but that's genitics(some of her lines have nice broad fronts) take a look- be patient! we just cut down on his good- it was always 4-4.5 cups now 3.75 cups.DSCN0044.jpg

oct+2012+006.jpg here he is at close to 80#s, annie's as broad and solid as can be, but her linage throws that solid borad front and compact body. check out your dog's lineage and you will see exactly what to expect. it's great if you can find some younger pics of their ancestors.

Edited by cleptogrey