Dislocated Shoulder?

Guest lovnmygreys

Guest lovnmygreys

Please help guys, just as we were leaving my dads tonight after dinner Al was limping a little. We lifted him into the back of the van and came home. When we got home he would not use his leg at all and if you touch his shoulder area he lets out a yelp. He is laying on the couch right now and DH is rubbing him down trying to figure out what the issue is. He is carefully stretching out his legs and when he does Al let's out a yelp. He's obviously very uncomfortable. Is this something that needs an emergency vet or should I see how he does over night and take him in the morning? I'm sick to my stomach. :-(

Is he resting quietly if left alone? If so I would wait and go first thing in the morning. Was he running around enough to tweak anything?

Take a deep breathe and see if he will eat some cookies. If he's eating the pain may not be that bad. Actually if he's letting you manipulate it around the pain isn't that bad.

I would wait and see how he is in the morning. (Hugs) keep us posted on how he's doing

------

Jessica

Guest lovnmygreys

He is resting if left alone. He was playing A LOT today, there were a total of 5 dogs at the house. DH just gave him a piece of cheese which he took enthusiastically, but he will not touch his dinner. Poor thing. Ugh.

He probably ran to hard and tweaked something. Just let him rest. If he will eat breakfast tomorrow I would be tempted to wait it out for a couple days. It sucks when you can't make them magically better. Harder on you than him!

Rainy fell into a pool this past summer and torqued her shoulder trying to save herself. She wouldn't eat her dinner or any treats. I knew why she was in pain and we were able to wait it out without a vet trip. Took quite a few weeks for her to be able to walk distances again without starting to limp. Just takes time. ..

Hope he's magically better in the morning

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

Guest lovnmygreys

Very odd that you would mention a fall into a pool, that happened today and I completely forgot about it because he was running around playing for quite sometime after it happened. Is it possible that once he finally rested for awhile it stiffened up?

Did he try to cling to the edge as he went down? That's enough to over extend his shoulder. He was tense and in a panic so that would probably injure. Rainy got worse as the day went on and by the late afternoon you could tell something was wrong with her. She felt better as soon as she woke up the next morning and ate breakfast, but it was short lived and she stiffened up throughout the next day also. Day 3 was a little better the whole day.

------

Jessica

Guest lovnmygreys

That sounds a lot like what's going on here. He just ate his entire dinner (hand fed by my teenager) and drank some water we offered him. He's laying pretty still on the couch but he seems comfortable enough at the moment. We'll keep a close eye on him and see how he's doing tomorrow. Thanks so much for the information!

If he's really sore but it's a soft tissue injury, some anti-inflamatories may help. I'd go to my vet and get it checked.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest lovnmygreys

He is 5. This morning he is MUCH better. There is barely a limp. I think Jessica was right, he may have over extended it when he fell into the pool. We are going to be keeping a close eye on him of course, but I think he's good! (THANKFULLY!) :beatheart

Guest lovnmygreys

Thank you! I'm starting to wonder if he played us. :hehe It's like nothing is wrong today but last night he was crying like he was in excruciating pain. I am so relieved though. I would hand feed him every night if it meant he was feeling well. Love my pups... :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart