Baldness

It is marginally possible for an autoimmune thyroid condition to make T4 *read* higher than it is, but I've never actually seen this. AFAIK it isn't common. I personally would want more distinct signs of hypothyroidism than baldness in a shorthaired sighthound before I spent the $ on additional testing. As you can see from others' pictures, there is a pretty big population of greyhounds who are just ... bald :lol .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You might try 3mg of melatonin per day, but check with your vet first to make sure it is OK with the Prozac. Again, controversial here on GT, but many of us have had good luck with it filling in our hounds coats. Carl was very bald, too, bare neck, chest, up the side of his chest, thighs and balding that wrapped around to the outside of his thigh, thin fur on his body.

I had a full thyroid panel done, my vet uses Dr Jean Dodds for thyroid panels. We began treating him with .35mg of Soloxine 2x per day, it made a big difference. The melatonin made a dramatic difference. I give him the melatonin at night so if there are any sleepy side effects it just happens when it should - when he is sleeping. I buy one from Target, others have had good luck with other brands. Melatonin doesn't work for every hound, though.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest shanesmom

My Shane was bald like that. His skin underneath was even darker so the baldness really showed. There was nothing wrong with him. He was just bald. He even won a trophy for the baldest butt at a greyhound event.