Help Me Feed My Super Picky Food Snob

Guest kahjul

One of my girls isn't a foodie. I have to add stuff to her kibble to get her to eat at all and if I don't change things up occasionally, she stops eating. Some things she WON'T eat...cottage cheese, livers (any kind), seafood, pumpkin. I'm sure there is more to this list, but these are her definate no's. I mix a batch of ground beef or turkey with either rice or pasta and eggs every few weeks and freeze it in 3 or 4 day packs that I can spoon onto her food. Any other suggestions of things to add?

Green beans, mac & cheese, Parmesan from the green can (aka Shaky Cheese in honor of Bill), a sardine or two.....

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Is she healthy? Is she a reasonably good weight? If so, honestly, my advice would be to stop adding all the extras. The more different things you try, the more picky she will become. A healthy dog will not starve herself. How long has she gone without eating before you give in?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Is she healthy? Is she a reasonably good weight? If so, honestly, my advice would be to stop adding all the extras. The more different things you try, the more picky she will become. A healthy dog will not starve herself. How long has she gone without eating before you give in?

I was going to ask some of the same things. Unless she's sick and it's a matter of needing her to eat I'd stop the extras.

She is healthy-no medical issues. She has gone 3 meals without eating anything at the 4th meal, she'll start to pick, but still not eat the whole meal. She will drop weight quickly. She gets 1 small treat when I leave the house in the morning (and usually only takes it to be polite-its often still on the floor when I get home). With 2 other dogs, if she doesn't eat in a reasonable amount of time, someone else will steal her food. Thats why we started the mix-ins to get her to finish a meal within 15 mins. Might try the mac & cheese.

Has she eaten good before or has she always

been picky? What kibble is she on and how long has she been on it? I'm just wondering if maybe something has changed about it that she doesn't like and no amount of add ins will change that.

As far as the other dogs getting her food when she doesn't eat it, just pick it up after giving her so much time and putting it back down at the next meal time. It will probably mean that you will still have to teach the other dogs that her bowl is off limits while it is down.

She has always been super picky and difficult to feed. We have fed Kirkland L&R for about the last year. Prior to that she was on Iams green bag. She has firm poop and no gas (that was not the case with some of the 'better' foods).

Guest greybookends

Hello. Mom to Bill here, the world's pickiest eater. For eight years it was a battle to get him to eat. Trust me I used all the additives you can come up with. The two things that gave me the best results was first I started feeding ONCE a day. Now keep in mind Bill was raw fed until a couple of years ago when I started doing a 50/50 diet( half raw, half kibble). After a whole day with nothing to eat I usually got him to eat some to most but not always. The second thing was I started feeding him in a crate. I could put him in there and just leave him alone and he could eat however long it took without worrying about one of the others stealing it. Sometimes it would take up to two hours for him to eat and sometimes he would eat quickly and sometimes not at all but he was eating more then with me having to take it up once everyone else was done. If you do not have a crate you can try putting her in a bathroom or some other small room, preferably one without a bed where she can just take a nap.

Good luck.

Ha-love it. Yes, if there was a bed, she would rather sleep than eat. I've even tried putting everyone outside and leaving food on her bed when I go to work. Its all still there when I get home. I checked the other thread and have tried the oatmeal (its ok, she ate, but slowly). Yogurt was a no as was parmesean cheese. She had some rice crispies with water (over kibble) this morning and that was a hit. She is such an odd dog in so many ways...

I happen to believe picky eaters are made, not born.

You need to re-train her to eat what she's fed. I had to do this with my last dog. He was very, very sick when I adopted him off of death row at a shelter. I had to hand feed him, and for the first 18 months of his life, people threatened to call the police on me he was so skinny (they had no idea he was at the vets at least monthly!). When he finally got through it, I had created a MONSTER. He wouldn't eat unless it was out of my hand. With my vet's encouragement, I put him on a strict schedule. He ate within the 15 minute time frame, or he got NOTHING else until the next meal. Took about a week of tough love, and I never had a problem with him again. And he ate DOG FOOD with water in it, and the occasional left over meat, veggies, etc. Nothing added in regularly.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greyhound515

My first Grey was very picky and I was constantly adding things to persuade her to eat: v-8 juice, beef broth, chicken broth, homemade white clam sauce (chopped clams, olive oil, clam juice and fresh chopped parsley and a hint of garllic), canned pumpkin, yogurt, wet dog food (Nutro or Merrick or Solid Gold). Cottage cheese and chopped chicken breast meat with mixed veggies and pasta (or rice, but Daph preferred pasta). Ex and I fought constantly about what I cooked the dog for dinner-that's why I got rid of HIM. The dog never complained about her food!

Guest rennina

I don't know if this is helpful, but my girl is picky too. She's not crazy about her food. She will sit when it's dinner time, but after I put her food down it will take her a while to even start eating. Some days she rather sleep.

She almost never finished her food. She's healthy, a little underweight. I tried mixing all the stuff I could think of, but they usually just worked for a day or two. I recently find a way to get her to eat more: I feed kibbles with one egg, yogurt, cottage cheese, caned food and other stuff for her breakfast, then raw for dinner. She doesn't have much appetite in the morning, so I feed about 1/4 her daily food in the morning, 3/4 in the evening. So it's like one big meal. She eats more in this way than several small meals.

She doesn't eat livers and some other stuff in the morning but will eat everything in the afternoon. So maybe her case is different.

Guest IrskasMom

I second that. My Morty was by far the pickiest Eater . Everyday was a struggle until I had enough . Petsmart has upgraded to better Dogfood and ever since 2 Years ago . Morty eats ONLY Dogfood . That means Kibble and a half Can of Simply Nourish, Nature Recipe Grain Free Chicken and Turkey Stew , from Wellness the Lamb and Sweet Potato , or Duck and Sweet Potato and so many otheres. Just a Half Can will do . Rotate.

In the Morning he will eat Kibbles alone , no mix ins. NO more Struggle.