Rash Help Over Holiday

Guest SusanP

Spinner has fall allergies, usually in October, just general body itchies. This year, he didn't have problems until the last couple of weeks here at the end of November, and I put him on Tavist. but I noticed last night his entire groin area, hairless tummy area, even a little on his inner thighs, are rashy and/or inflamed. He's been licking this area a lot. I used Dermal Soothe anti itch shampoo on it (You leave it on 10 min before rinsing) and then dabbed an over the counter hydrocortisone cream sparingly on just the worst spots.

Not sure what's safe to use on his skin since he's licking it. The treatment seemed to help some last night as far itching goes, and there may be slight improvement in the rash. I switched him to Benedryl this morning, since the Tavist didn't seem to be helping enough.

Is there anything else safe I can use on him to get him through til the vet's office reopens (not sure if they'll be in Fri or Sat, but for sure not today on Thanksgiving)?

Sounds like he may have a secondary bacterial infection where he may need oral antibiotics--in the meantime I think your doing all you should do. My boy has allergies too -flairs in the fall also. I keep his flairs at bay by giving medicated baths (Ketachlor). I do give antihistamines -currently using Claritin-but, to be honest it's the bathing that helps the most.

What you might try until you see the vet is bathe him in Selsun blue. Just removing the topical allergens off will help tremendously.

Minty had some kind of rash; (it started in the vaginal area then spread down around her butt and thighs), a few months ago. The licking was driving her (and me!) crazy. The vet had me trying a couple of things; (along with the, "don't let her lick" AUGH!). She did end up needing an antiibiotic and a steoid 'cause at one point she rubbed herself raw; but what did seem to give her instant relief was Gold Bond Powder.

I was hesitant to try it; figuring she'd lick it right off, but my vet said not to worry, just give it a try; and shen I put it on her she actually sighed and stretched out and went to sleep.

Thanks--I think you're right about possible secondary infection of the area, bacterial, or I was even wondering about yeast, because he was licking the itchy skin so much and it was staying moist. Vets offices are still closed today, but I'm hoping one of them will be open tomorrow. Spinner's no worse and may be slightly better for the time being.

Oh! I have KetoChlor in the doggy medicine kit--Used it once before when Spinner's tummy was sort of rashy with black spots, I think, now that you mention it. I doubt it it would hurt to try it on this rash. Thanks!

Thanks--I think you're right about possible secondary infection of the area, bacterial, or I was even wondering about yeast, because he was licking the itchy skin so much and it was staying moist. Vets offices are still closed today, but I'm hoping one of them will be open tomorrow. Spinner's no worse and may be slightly better for the time being.

Oh! I have KetoChlor in the doggy medicine kit--Used it once before when Spinner's tummy was sort of rashy with black spots, I think, now that you mention it. I doubt it it would hurt to try it on this rash. Thanks!

Definetly bathe with the Ketachlor--massage in well and allow contact for 10 minutes before rinsing :-)