Shaking After Exercising.

Guest jennis

Have had our greyhound for 6 weeks, she's 5 years old and straight from the racing kennels. Our first post "frightened of stairs" is now a distant memory she happily tootles up and down stairs. She's a lovely girl in looks and character, we are starting to see her playful side. Most days we take her to a friends field for some off leash exercise. Living in the UK we are going into winter so its fairly chilly there can be an icy wind. On arrival I rub her particularly her back legs to warm her muscules before taking her coat off and letting her have a blast. It has become much more playful instead of zooming round in a circle at full blast she now includes playful figures of eight with us in the middle. Then joins in the chasing of frisbees with friends terrior. Well ok she chases terrior while terrior chases frisbee.Its great fun when she has had enough she comes and leans against me. She is panting and shaking, friends think its excitment I wonder weither its something else such as lactic acid in her muscles or shes hot and the winds cold. I tend to rub her and then drape her coat over her back. Just wondered if other people hounds tremble and shake after vigorous exercise and if you have any idea why and how you handle it. Thinking about getting her another coat that is more snug fitting that she could run in without it slipping as her current one does.

Hello,

Sorry I can't help with your question as I'm still waiting to get my dog.

But I wondered, seeing as yours came straight from the race track too - What does she do when she chases the terrior and catches up to it?!

My boyfriends family has an Italian greyhound and so we are wondering if Peggy will think it's a hare when the Italian greyhound runs! We hope not! I just wondered what you had found with yours and small dogs when they're running? :)

I'm also from the UK :)

Guest BrindleBabes

The back legs of one of mine shakes nearly every time she runs. I walk her afterwards in the hopes that she won't be sore later. In six years we've never had any problems and it certainly doesn't stop her from running every chance she gets!

Dear Katy.

She usually jumps over the terrior but she has also opened her mouth over the terriors neck as well as using her teeth but thankfully so far only got Poppy's jacket. I tell her no when I see her starting to mouth. Its a Border terrior they have double coats so a well protected neck. Our friends are laid back and believe Joy will only bite or hurt Poppy once as the BT will respond and Joy will learn her lesson. A dog behaviourist told me to stay out of it and let Joy learn by the other dog yelping. I must admit I'm a bit more concerned so still shout no but they have run together every day but 1 for 6 weeks. Fingers crossed I haven't tempted fate. I would have thought your new to be hound would recogonise an Italian greyhound cos they aren't small and fluffy.

Yes, both of ours are shaky after they run. I think it's just because their leg muscles are tired. A lot of times, Truman will lie down at the dog park and roll around for a minute to give his legs a break. It seems pretty normal for us... I wouldn't be concerned unless she runs so hard that she lies down on one side, panting very hard, and seems to have a hard time recovering. As for the terrier, it sounds like they're friends! Dogs will use their mouths to play with each other (bitey-face). A high-prey greyhound probably would've attacked the terrier by now- they see small dogs as prey, not dogs. So if your dog is running with the terrier and doing some playful mouthing, I wouldn't interfere unless body language suggests that one of them is anxious or frightened. BTW, we LOVE working dogs, hunting dogs, and retrievers. They have a little more stamina than our hounds, so they will chase balls or frisbees over and over, then our dogs chase them. It's a great workout for everyone!

to me it sounds like, even though she just came off the track, she needs some conditioning. she may have been lying around for quite some time. w/ exercise the shaking should subside. but remember they are sprinters and it's an intense sprint/play and then sleep. do walk her out after she plays, water her later- not right after play.

as to the terrier- they go on for days- i've owned a couple. watch the mouthing, it can change in a flash. my daughter's small(20#) mutt stays here often, our female who has a high prey drive MUST be muzzled outside- she courses her. inside they are fine, there isn't a moving object to catch. my grey didn't start to course the house guest at first, so be ontop of things.

That's interesting - thank you! Will keep her muzzled to start with then and see how they get on like that.

Thanks again for replying and sorry for going off topic!

Guest jaws4evr

Our 5 year old female shakes but only after running hard. We do walk her afterwards (but sometimes it's just a few minutes back to the house, or a longer walk) and she never seems worse for wear.

I add also that we live in Calgary Canada, and it stays below -10C all winter, and can get down to -20C during the day during cold-spells, so we walk/run the dogs in all weather unless they tell us otherwise! (sore feet).

We have a fleece/nylon, but it doesn't cover her legs so hot leg muscles routinely have to cope with cold winter air here. No muscle rubs. She also will still pant heavily after running while wearing her coat even in the winter. We make sure to either keep her wakling, or bring her indoors after (which we'd do anyways, we're not goign to stand around outdoors in the winter :) )

And again, she's totally fine and shows no discomfort.

She is a great dog with amazing ears they don't seem to be a pair and lead independent lives I call her loppy lugs. I would love to share photos and have been looking for a link on how to do it. Can anyone point me in the right direction cos I'm sure I saw one but now I want it carnt ind it.