What Does Your Typical Raw

Guest newgreymama

Guest newgreymama

if you feed raw, what does a typical meal include--what type of food and what volume?

(forgive me since this is probably a question y'all have answered a million times over!)

Check out a thread called "raw feeding basics" by greyhound9797.

We have done everything from commercial raw to whatever we could find at the supermarket or in our freezer.

2-3% of body weight per day should work. You need a combo of meat, organs, bone and some people do veg (we don't add veg). We have done fish, turkey, chicken, duck, pork (not ideal), beef (ground and roast), and bones like whole chicken leg quarters, chicken feet, necks, wings, backs, turkey necks. We stay away from weight bearing beef or pork bones and have tried but don't do pork ribs.

For organs, we've done spleen, liver, tripe. Heart is a muscle meat.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Trihounds

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

It is hard to give you a "recipe" because everyone has different sources and meats. But...I really like Lew Olson's diet (her book is called Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs). The basic goal is to feed about half raw meaty bones (ie. meats with edible bone) and the other half of the diet boneless muscle meat,organs or other proteins and extras. About twice a week you can feed organs, especially liver. So...for today Teague had a couple of meaty chicken thighs for breakfast. For dinner is was about a cup of chopped beef heart, some boneless meat mince, a half cup of liver, an egg, and about a half cup of leftover oatmeal with cottage cheese mixed in. Tomorrow will be pork ribs for breakfast and dinner will be similar as today. I feed a variety of different meats but as long as you stick to the recommended ratios, you should be fine. It can sound a bit confusing but I would highly suggest ordering and reading a few books, it will really give you a better understanding of nutrients and diets. :)

Guest newgreymama

Thanks guys! I know that it is hard to say exactly what you give every meal, as it should vary, but you all gave very good examples of a rounded diet. I downloaded that book today and read through it and really appreciate the suggestion! So glad that it addressed special needs diets as well. We have given them raw meals for the past 2 days and have been nothing buy happy with the results-- so now I am glad to know what else we can add into their meals. Their poop reduced immediately and barely smells. Amazing!

eta: the author of that book adds a vegetable component in each suggested meal she gives, yet stresses throughout the book that veggies aren't absolutely necessary. Does she throw that option in for those who think that it might be necessary, or should we indeed be adding veggies?

Edited by newgreymama

We feed raw for 3 of our 5 hounds. We buy duck from www.haretodaygonetomorrow.com. We buy our rolls of minced meat/organ/bone from a local store on Long Island and the chicken we buy at local market.

We do about 12 oz of duck, 1 oz of organ and 4 oz of minced for Ollie. We also use smelts as filler for their packets. We take 2 days a month and package everything up. It's. looooong labor of love, but worth it. We weigh everything out.

My 90 pound Ollie gets 17 oz 2 x a day

88 pound Ponch gets 16 Oz 2 x a day

83 pound Teddy gets 13 oz 2 x a day.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project