Vomiting Worms

I thought Finn passing a live tapeworm last week was gross, but nope, yours is grosser. :sick But looking at that picture, it's better they're out than in. LOL Still really gross though. LOL

Gross - but strangely cool

I'm surprised I've never seen any worms in his poop. It wigs me out to think that there's worms in his tummy right now having a party and enjoying the free room and board.

Well, at least you're maintaining your sense of humour.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Antisense, I think you may have just won a prize here for the grossest picture ever posted on GT. :yikes I'm not even sure what we should title this prize. :lol

I hope JJ will soon be rid of them.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest PhillyPups

I wasn'r gonna look until everyone talked about not looking. I know one thing, I will never ever order Lo Mein from the Chinese restaurant. :puke

Good luck with treatment.

I wasn'r gonna look until everyone talked about not looking. I know one thing, I will never ever order Lo Mein from the Chinese restaurant. :puke

Good luck with treatment.

LOL! Gee, thanks for that comparison; now I won't order Lo Mein, either.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Update:

Just got an after hours call from the vet on my voicemail. Apparently the fecal float test came back and JJ has two types of worm. He's been prescribed a dewormer (though he didn't mention which one) and I can go pick it up tomorrow.

I'll post again tomorrow what kind of worms he had once I pick up the test results.

There hasn't been any more vomiting since the episode the other night, and apart from some occasional wheezing, you would never know anything was wrong with him.

I checked out his vet records that the adoption group gave me, and apparently he had had a fecal float analyzed by the same lab in September, but it came up negative. Unless it was a false negative, that means he picked up the worms while he was here at some point and in less than 2 months they grew to monstrous size.

Anyone have any experience with worm prevention? I've read that diatomaceous earth mixed in food is helpful.

Edited by antisense

Guest FinnsMom

I mix DE in Finn's breakfast but we still had to do a round of pills from the vet for tapeworms. He had some fleas when we picked him up from the kennel so I am sure thats where he got them from. Food grade DE is not harmful to them but there is lots of information online to research.

Update:

Just got an after hours call from the vet on my voicemail. Apparently the fecal float test came back and JJ has two types of worm. He's been prescribed a dewormer (though he didn't mention which one) and I can go pick it up tomorrow.

I'll post again tomorrow what kind of worms he had once I pick up the test results.

There hasn't been any more vomiting since the episode the other night, and apart from some occasional wheezing, you would never know anything was wrong with him.

I checked out his vet records that the adoption group gave me, and apparently he had had a fecal float analyzed by the same lab in September, but it came up negative. Unless it was a false negative, that means he picked up the worms while he was here at some point and in less than 2 months they grew to monstrous size.

Anyone have any experience with worm prevention? I've read that diatomaceous earth mixed in food is helpful.

Just a quick FYI--there is really no such thing as a "negative stool analysis". The lab will quite often use the words --"no ova & parasites seen". The parasites need to be shedding eggs at the time the stool is collected and analyzed -well if momma worm wasn't shedding eggs there wouldn't be any ova (eggs) in the stool. Many time veterinarians will opt to just deworm your pet with a board spectrum dewormed like panacur.

Heartworms and roundworms are completely different. And for the most part different products and dosages are needed to kill or prevent heartworms compared to intestinal worms.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Glad you will be getting the dewormer! Worms go through a cycle, plus some vets just do a fecal float instead of sending it off for more thorough testing which will cost more.

Update 2:

We visited the vet today. Turns out JJ has both roundworm and hookworm. Ewwwww hooks. :(

JJ is now on pyrantel (aka Nemex or Strongid, I believe), 2 doses one week apart. He got his first dose tonight with supper.

The vet also did a physical on JJ, and the appointment went very well all things considered. The last time he was at the vet, he was an aggressive, growling, snapping and lunging little monster. This time he was much more calm in the vet clinic, but he was not happy to be in the same examining room as last time. He whined, and struggled, and impressed the vet by how quickly he could take a muzzle off. He ended up having his exam in the middle of the clinic waiting room! I guess he feels much more at ease when he doesn't feel trapped in a small room (especially a small room where he previously had his toenails violated by a trimmer). The vet says he's a very healthy boy, apart from the worms. He got many, many, many liver treats after the exam. :)

I'm somewhat amused because on Tuesday after I saw the worms, I was at work discussing whether or not I should treat him with Combantrin (human use pyrantel). I decided against since I didn't know if he had tapes or other species where pyrantel wouldn't be effective. Combantrin is certainly a LOT less expensive than the veterinary use pyrantel, especially with my pharmacy staff discount...

Guest Cardiffcouple

I am in shock at the length of those worms. I don't know what I would have done but running screaming out of the room comes to mind. Large ICK!