Vomiting Worms

We woke up to a very nasty surprise today. JJ had vomited sometime overnight and there were roundworms in his vomit. There were 3 or 4 large worms and one small worm. They were dead, but we have no idea what time he vomited. I have a picture, but it's too gross to post, and I'm quite certain they are roundworms. We did start him on Revolution last month, and he's gotten 2 doses so far (which is an approved regimen for deworming in the UK).

We called the vet clinic and they seemed to be in no rush to get us an appointment. The greyhound vet isn't in until Thursday. They said he definitely needs worming, but that we don't need to rush in today. Just wondering what you guys think, since at least in humans, once a person is vomiting worms, it is a very serious infestation. I'm a new mommy and I'm very worried!

Drontal Plus would be my choice. Revolution is a topical treatment for fleas, heartworm and some ticks but it's a preventative, not typically a treatment. And it's not even a preventative for internal parasites (as far as I know and as far as I can tell) -- how does the vet think it will clear a case of current worms?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

No advice...just goo wishes....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Drontal Plus would be my choice. Revolution is a topical treatment for fleas, heartworm and some ticks but it's a preventative, not typically a treatment. And it's not even a preventative for internal parasites (as far as I know and as far as I can tell) -- how does the vet think it will clear a case of current worms?

Info online about Revolution says this:

Intestinal Wormer for Cats: For the treatment and control of intestinal roundworm (Toxocara cati) and intestinal hookworm (Ancylostoma tubaeforme), Revolution should be applied in a single dose.

So it may be approved for worming dogs in the UK, but perhaps the company hasn't applied for permission to include that on US packaging for dogs.

The best sign that things are proceeding normally may be that the worms were dead. (Eww! Eww! Eww!)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hey all! Just got back from dropping off a stool sample and should have results by Thursday. We're booked in to see the other vet at the clinic on Thursday since that was the earliest appointment available and the "greyhound vet" is already booked up.

Just to clarify: I mentioned Revolution since I just came across some info in the Merck Veterinary Manual that it's used as a wormer in the UK and thought it was interesting that it can kill canine roundworm as well. Could be entirely different dosing when used as a wormer - I have no idea! We are only using it for flea and heartworm prevention though.

I know he's had a dose of Drontal Plus in September as his foster home routinely worms all new dogs. He's had soft poops and hard poops and we just figured it was him being new to our home and having a sensitive stomach. Never saw any worms or eggs in his poop though. I thought he had eaten some elastic bands at first until I went to go clean it up, and then was thoroughly grossed out when I saw that they were actually worms.

Guest SoulsMom

No advice...just goo wishes....

For some reason the 'goo wishes' just cracked me up :rofl

Don't mind me, I'm just over tired. I have no advice either, but that would wig me out!

Wow, they were big!

Nothing wrong with a second deworming Panacur for 5 days, it should all be in his paperwork that came with him, should say when his last deworming was as well as when the last round of revolution was given. Its recommended to do the revolution for 3 months.

If that had happened here, I would have covered the vomit and moved and let someone else deal with it. (no, I didn't look at the picture and never will.) It was bad enough finding out that a past foster had nasal worms for 9 months while he was here sneezing all over my house.

Guest FinnsMom

I thought Finn passing a live tapeworm last week was gross, but nope, yours is grosser. :sick But looking at that picture, it's better they're out than in. LOL Still really gross though. LOL

Wow, I had no idea worms could be that big. :jaw

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm hoping you'll break down and post the picture... :)

Me too.

*gives in to peer pressure*

Yeah, OK:

Warning: closeup of dried vomit and dead spaghetti like monsters

http://i.imgur.com/CKMqA.jpg

EEEWWWWWW! Like a car wreck . . .just had to look. And to think I was paranoid about cleaning up the kids' barf! This is the stuff of nightmares!

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

LOL! I'm eating my lunch and went to look at the pic. Although those are some impressive worms it does not bother me - in my training I've dissected these and worse :)

I would definitely de-worm though!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.