Thanksgiving Reminder For New Hound Owners

Guest Scouts_mom

Guest Scouts_mom

My first grey, Scout, had a horrible first Thanksgiving in retirement and maybe our experience can help a new owner avoid the problems we had. This happened about a dozen years ago, before Greytalk existed, and nobody had warned me.

It was the first time I had taken her to someone else's home. We drove the 2 hours to my parents house and Scout was perfect in the car. I was looking forward to showing her off to the folks. Unfortunately, while it had been weeks since she had an accident in my house, Scout didn't realize that the rules applied to all houses. She walked into the parent's home and pooped on the parent's brand new carpet. They were horrified and have never really trusted any of my dogs since then. So keep an eye on your hound if she is new to visiting people.

Much more serious from my point of view was that I didn't realize that she should not eat turkey skin. It is very fatty and unfortunately I fed her a lot. Poor Scout had diarhea all night long--if it hadn't eased some by morning we would have been at the emergency vet and I would have been minus a large amount of cash. So don't feed your dog turkey skin. A little meat is okay, but don't go overboard.

Finally, don't store the turkey on the lowest shelf in the refrigerator. It is too easy for a hound to reach in and grab it when you open the door and are not really paying attention. But if your dog should get it, don't make a fuss--rinse it off, put it back and don't mention it to your hostess--Mom would have banned Scout from ever visiting again.

Guest FinnsMom

if your dog should get it, don't make a fuss--rinse it off, put it back and don't mention it to your hostess--Mom would have banned Scout from ever visiting again.

Holy crap, this literally had me laughing out loud. Best thing I have read all day. :rofl

Guest kkaiser104

Finally, don't store the turkey on the lowest shelf in the refrigerator. It is too easy for a hound to reach in and grab it when you open the door and are not really paying attention. But if your dog should get it, don't make a fuss--rinse it off, put it back and don't mention it to your hostess--Mom would have banned Scout from ever visiting again.

Oh my! This is just TOO funny!!! :rofl

I had a cat once that got the nic name "Ham wort" Yes, he stole the ham off the top of the stove. I was sitting at the table and the only person who could see him or into the kitchen. I excused myself, rinsed off the ham and put the cat in the bedroom. Of course the in-laws were over for supper . . . for the first time ever! Years later, when I told her, my mother in law and I laughed until we almost . . . ummm you get the picture.

Edited by june

if your dog should get it, don't make a fuss--rinse it off, put it back and don't mention it to your hostess--Mom would have banned Scout from ever visiting again.

Holy crap, this literally had me laughing out loud. Best thing I have read all day. :rofl

LOL that's hysterical

------

Jessica

Guest Jacks_Human

Yup. Me too! Reminds me of the dinner party mum had years ago. Left the joint out and the cat got to it. Mum trimmed the meat, gave it a quick rinse and it was good to go.

My family has had a couple instances of that. No harm done in the end, but quite funny.

If your dog should get it, don't make a fuss--rinse it off, put it back and don't mention it to your hostess--Mom would have banned Scout from ever visiting again.

:rofl Five second rule!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.