Trifectis

Guest borzoix4

Guest borzoix4

I have a question as Interseptor is no longer going back into production about Trifectis.

My vet is recommending this one as the new change over, although although effective for fleas, it lacks for ticks. While its going into winter time, the suggestion was to also continue to give the K9 Advantex.

Bam will be 3 years old Jan. 24th 2013.

What are you all using, and anyone use this combination of products?

I used Interceptor too, and am bummed that it isn't being made anymore. I now use Heart Guard. Knock on wood, I've been very lucky about not having fleas around here. Once in a blue moon I'll find a tick on one of my girls. When that happens, I'll treat my girls with Frontline. Trifexis is just too expensive. BTY, does anyone know why Interceptor isn't being made anymore?

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

We don't have a tick problem here, but the Trifexis works very well on fleas and all worms. Our vet recommeneded to have a week between the two products of we were going to do a topical tick treatment.

Just FYI, the Trifexis is "supposed" to be chewable, but it's really vile - it even smells bad to me! My girl who will eat anything won't even touch them. I have to break them apart and hide them in smelly canned food to get them down.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest borzoix4

I used Interceptor too, and am bummed that it isn't being made anymore. I now use Heart Guard. Knock on wood, I've been very lucky about not having fleas around here. Once in a blue moon I'll find a tick on one of my girls. When that happens, I'll treat my girls with Frontline. Trifexis is just too expensive. BTY, does anyone know why Interceptor isn't being made anymore?

I 'heard' that the Interseptor would not accept 'generic forms' of the drug to off set like some of the others have. I also heard the drug production facility closed completely, with one of the drugs they made being Interseptor. Many drug producing companies are closing their doors.

Since I go to dog shows, I use flea products, and with where we live, woods with wildlife etc, I use as standard also for ticks. When we moved here 4 years ago, Zubin got lyme although we were using frontline at the time. The vet said that frontline will kill the ticks, the tick has already bitten the dog. This is were the suggestion came to use K9 Advantex as it also repells ticks.

My vet does not suggest Heart Guard, though.

We don't have a tick problem here, but the Trifexis works very well on fleas and all worms. Our vet recommeneded to have a week between the two products of we were going to do a topical tick treatment.

Just FYI, the Trifexis is "supposed" to be chewable, but it's really vile - it even smells bad to me! My girl who will eat anything won't even touch them. I have to break them apart and hide them in smelly canned food to get them down.

Oh lovely! Lindsey is the one that will turn up her nose at anything if not what she wants, so I will try the suggestion you used of smelly canned food. May I ask which one you use to get them to eat it?

I have a total of 8 dogs so it would be easier if I could use the same products for all of them.

Hmm... Bam loves peanut butter... maybe I could try that one...

I also was thinking to divide the flea/tick up when treated, so great suggestion as well. I use it from March to November basically or until we are really into cold snaps.

Edited by borzoix4

My vet likes Trifectis because of the de-worming capability. She believes that a generic will be available soon, since it is so flipping expensive.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest starbuck

Trifexis works very well for us; whenever I give it to my pup, I roll it into a ball of peanut butter and she happily accepts it as a treat. The downside is that it is extraordinarily expensive.

I use Trifexis on all 3 of my dogs and I really didn't think it was that much more when you add up the cost of all the mulitple products you use in it's place, plus I like not having them all greasy from a topical flea med. I'll pay a little extra for that convenience.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Guest borzoix4

If you look at it, I only have to give the tick ( k9 advantex) from March to October. So really- its a wash as far as products as, you are correct, I am not having to buy multiple products most of the year.

I agree with BellaBean :nod The cost is almost the same when you combine the cost of Heartgard and Frontline monthly. I also love the grease free back.

I do Trifexis in the summer months when fleas and ticks are super bad and then switch to heartgard in the winter.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

We switched vets about 4 mos ago and they use only use Trifexis. I was scared to use it at first, because like a spaz, I looked up all the possible side effects. When I gave it to them for the first time I watched them like a hawk the whole day - they were fine. I gave it after a meal and with turkey breast cold cuts wraped around the pills - they smell like rotten mushrooms, so I knew they wouldn't eat it with out something extra.

I usually don't treat for fleas from Oct to Feb, and I don't like giving unneeded meds, but I like that Trifexis handles so many types of worms. Ticks aren't a problem where I live, so I'm not particularly worried about that. I guess this summer, I will like not having to mess with the frontline.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Guest borzoix4

Yes as last year, we even had snow in October so it varies when we treat either Oct or November as last treament for fleas and ticks.

I am glad to read so many use this product. We had been able to get sample types from our vet of Intersceptor until they ran out. The babies are 33 to 40 pounds now, but I have the Interseptor for them until they hit the 60 pound level for Trifectis.

To avoid 'greasy backs', I found the k9 advantex was less greasy, but the trick is not to touch their backs for about two hours after application. Having Borzoi also, the last thing I would like is a greasy coat. This seems to work in not touching them on application spot.

Question- when you mention odor, are you talking about their breath smells like mushrooms or their coat? How long after giving trifectis can I wash them or does that not help?

Edited by borzoix4

Guest Eyeblaura

We've also been using Trifexis with no problems but you're right doesn't offer tick protection.

I haven't noticed any change in the smell of my hound but the pills stink. I too have to hide them.

Where did you see that Interceptor is not coming back? I am not able to find anything that says that. I’m not doubting you, just want to know for sure because I’m down to one Interceptor pill and am going to have to decide if I want to switch to something else or possibly skip a couple winter months if it is coming back.

I did find this: http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-breaking-news/2012/08/08/fda-approves-trio-of-new-canine-drugs.aspx Possibly Interceptor is being replaced by this Interceptor Spectrum which will also control tapeworms.

Maybe one of our friendly veterinarians have some inside info….

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest borzoix4

My vet showed me the report from the manufacturer. The facility has closed and no- it will not be marketed again.When the medication by the time allowance came up to then be allowed to be bought for generic, the manufacture refused to take it off meds. The med was closed.

Then Trifectis came on the market with same ingredient base for heartworm as Interseptor, made by same company, only added flea oral product to it.

Edited by borzoix4

Sherri has been on Trifexis since May. Two weeks after she gets that, I use Frontline Plus on her. No problems. The pills are very large and I also put it in a wad of peanut

butter and she just gulps it down.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Timo has been on Trifexis and the Preventic tick collar since April. The combination has been perfect. He hates the taste of Trifexis, so I crush up the gigantic chewable pill and mix it into a tablespoon or two of peanut butter, and give it to him as a treat. Coating it in peanut butter would not work on him... he's either a dainty eater or too smart for his own good, and will lick off the peanut butter and spit out the pill. Lol.

Trifexis would cost extra for me because I usually split one tube of Frontline Plus between my two dogs, so that I usually spent about $30/month for the pair; Trifexis would run me about $40/month for the pair. Also, I'd have to buy two sizes of Trifexis since one dog is over 60 pounds and the other is under. (With Interceptor, it was the 51-100 lb size--good for both dogs.) Since I try to buy a larger quantity at one time to get the best price break, I'd have to buy two large packages to get the right doses for my two. And not only would Trifexis cost more than my usual expenses for heartworm meds plus flea preventatives, but I'd still need a tick preventative, too.

I've read some tales of Trifexis side effects. I know all heartworm meds have occasional side effects, but the sites where you buy Trifexis warn of potential diarrhea. Since I'm getting my guys off Heartgard Plus in an effort to avoid monthly bouts of diarrhea, I don't want to put them onto a drug that's known for the same side effect.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I crush up the pills and mix them in with a spoonful of wet food. They eat it no problem! I tried peanut butter and the little turds licked it off and left the pills!

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

The pills themselves smell terrible, and they are quite large - about the size of a quarter and a 1/4 in thiick at the edges, thicker in the middle. So they're not easy to just pill them either (shove them down their throats). I use Beneful Prepared Meals to give them. The Benefuls have a lot of textures in them anyway, so one more crunchy bit or a part of a pill doesn't seem to bother them.

Peanut butter didn't work for us for this reason. It was too easy for them to sort out the pill and spit it out.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest borzoix4

I crush up the pills and mix them in with a spoonful of wet food. They eat it no problem! I tried peanut butter and the little turds licked it off and left the pills!

Thank you! While the babies still I have interseptor samples for them until 60 pounds, that will be within a month. All the others are over 60 pounds easily.

Guest Rawbone

Interceptor is not available right now due to a problem at the factory. This is the same factory that makes the Deramaxx, which is why that is also hard, if not impossible, to get at this time. The factory is supposed to go back on line the end of December, but they have made similar claims in the past and are still not ready. This is also the same factory that makes the Sentinal and that is why you can't get that right now either.