Chicken And Turkey Backs

Guest suzanne

Guest suzanne

Here in Ireland I have never seen this in a grocery store or butcher. Are they simply the carcass of bones, without meat? I'd like to get some soon but am not quite sure what to ask my butcher for.

Yes, though there is usually some meat left on the bones. It's a product which is a result of the de-boning process where butchers offer skinless, boneless chicken breast (as an example). Some meat will be left on the backs/ribs but most will be in the boneless product.

You might simply ask your butcher what they typically discard (vast majority of "parts" are used here) and then see if you can buy them. But hopefully backs are available for sale (we find turkey backs are too big, fyi...chicken is fine, though. For turkey, we just stick to necks...but to each his/her own!).

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Just a caution... I gave Fen a chicken back when he was a wee pup at 9 months old. I stepped closer to see what kind of progress he was making....an he swallowed the thing whole! The output was not pleasant for him, it was quite pokey with the ribs. That was his first and last chicken back. Turkey backs are fine since they are too big to swallow whole.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)