Yay! He Switched Successfully!

Guest kkaiser104

Guest kkaiser104

I hit a milestone today with Teddi---he finally has switched to a different food successfully! He's been on Iams green bag since he came home, and while it's absolutely fine as food, I really wanted to try switching him over to 4Health Salmon/Potato (it has a very similar ingredient list as the "popular/healthy" brands). The vet and I had talked about trying to get rid of fillers from his diet, and it finally happened!

He ate 75/25 for 2 weeks, 50/50 for 1 week, 25/75 for 1 week, and now he's had 3 meals 100% and he's healthy as ever! Solid poop, looking great, very excited for dinner, etc. etc..

I'm just so happy he's made the switch successfully. When I got him (almost 5 months ago now!!) I tried to put him on Kirkland kibble with disastrous results.

I couldn't remember who 4Health was sold under so I did a Google search to learn a little more about it. One of the first 5 hits was from a thread in a GSD forum that you might want to read.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/167640-2-bloats-10-days-4health-dog-food-warning.html

I was not looking for reasons to criticize the food choice because what I seemed to remember about it was that it was comparable to the Costco food that many feed, but I think people should be aware of this.

Guest kkaiser104

I couldn't remember who 4Health was sold under so I did a Google search to learn a little more about it. One of the first 5 hits was from a thread in a GSD forum that you might want to read.

http://www.germanshe...od-warning.html

I was not looking for reasons to criticize the food choice because what I seemed to remember about it was that it was comparable to the Costco food that many feed, but I think people should be aware of this.

I've done the test, and it no longer absorbs like that. I'm not sure if it's because they've changed the recipe (that post is more then a year old) or that I'm feeding a different version (the salmon/potato version Teddi's on is $36 for a 30 pound bag).

Also, reading into the comments, there are many people who disagree with her theory and say that running the same test they've found it to expand similarly to Iams and Purina. I think sometimes with dogs prone to bloat people are quick to blame the food when sometimes it's just an issue of fate.

Edited by kkaiser104

http://www.germanshe...od-warning.html

I've done the test, and it no longer absorbs like that. I'm not sure if it's because they've changed the recipe (that post is more then a year old) or that I'm feeding a different version (the salmon/potato version Teddi's on is $36 for a 30 pound bag).

Also, reading into the comments, there are many people who disagree with her theory and say that running the same test they've found it to expand similarly to Iams and Purina. I think sometimes with dogs prone to bloat people are quick to blame the food when sometimes it's just an issue of fate.

OK, I just was worried there. Glad to read the food doesn't swell as was described and my worry was for naught.