What Have We Done?

Guest lovnmygreys

Nike has a spoonful of yoghurt in every meal - and dh will drop everything to go to the store if we run out because the hound MUST have his special stuff. No spoiled hounds here! :)

Guest team_tonio

I used to be in the same boat... Antonio would look at me like 'woman, where is my yogurt! ' if I didn't add it in. :lol

And then I switched proteins! I went from chicken (no good!) To salmon (so so) to venison... jackpot! Now he gets kibble and warm water. No gas and amazing poops. What's not to love!

Mine get kibble with warm water,and two tablespoons of canned dog food mixed in with that. For a special treat they sometimes get yogurt or sardines. I agree that the more you add into a hounds food to try and convince them to eat, the more fickle they get.

Edited by masa

Guest greybookends

I agree that we can create a picky eater, but that is not always the case. If it were the case I could have gotten Bill to eat every meal I ever placed in front of him but he did not, even with foods I knew for a fact he loved. I think like most people, sometimes a dog comes along that likes a variety or just isn't food driven and could care less. The notion that a dog will eat when he is hungry is true but after four days without food it just isn't healthy. I used whatever I could to keep it interesting, it wasn't always the healthiest of things but if it worked I was happy. Bill lived to be 13 1/2 so it couldn't have been to terribly bad. He did however weight only 55 pounds when He passed and he should have been between 67-72 pounds.

Something towards the end I found worked well was to keep the drippings off of whatever I was cooking and drizzle a few tablespoons on his kibble. We had no stomach issues so I could do it without any side effects. I would empty them in a coffecup and keep them in the fridge and heat them up at dinner time so you would get an aroma as well as the taste.

Along with Stonyfield Whole Milk yogurt, my gal gets organic fresh-ground flaxseed & local bee pollen. The flax is for her coat, the bee pollen is for her skin itchiness. She will ignore her kibble until I mix in the yummy stuff ; )

I"ve never had an issue with gas or poor poop in any of my dogs once I've had them on a food that works for them. I also don't mix anything in the kibble - to either manage gas or entice eating. It gets put down, they eat it or they don't. If they don't I pick it up and then they typically eat at the next meal. Few dogs will starve if they skip a meal. The only time I've ever had to do anything to entice a dog to eat is once they are really sick, have lost a lot of weight, and are nearing the time to say goodbye. I've had two dogs that weren't food driven and they both became good eaters at mealtimes. (coincidentally both of these dogs I raised from puppies, not sure what that says! whereas both my rescue dogs would eat anything put in front of them at anytime! LOL)

That said I agree variety is important in a diet and do offer them things separate from their kibble - often using chicken, salmon, and beef as training treats or offering a bit separate from meals. I also rotate kibble proteins once I find ones that work for them. I will say the few times my dogs have been gassy it's because they've had too much of something other than their regular foods (for instance when my mother comes over and gives them a million cookies when I'm not looking).