What Have We Done?

Guest lovnmygreys

Guest lovnmygreys

We've had Al and Lucy for just about 3 months now and have been feeding them kibble. When they first came home they ate every meal like it was their last, woofing everything down. With the onslaught of the infamous greyhound gas, we started giving them a spoonful of yogurt with their kibble for dinner. However, now, if they get plain kibble they sniff at it and look at me like I must be crazy for trying to feed them this sub standard meal. As soon as I mix yogurt in with it, poof...gone! :chow

Obviously I've created a couple of snobs. :rofl Does anyone have any suggestions for other mix-ins I can give them with their kibble to make it more enjoyable for them?

Cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, green beans. Just know that you will be expected to serve eggs to the hounds anytime you go near the stove if you start that. They LOVE their eggs!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest lovnmygreys

Cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, green beans. Just know that you will be expected to serve eggs to the hounds anytime you go near the stove if you start that. They LOVE their eggs!

Eggs?! Really? That seems like it would make gas HORRIBLE, no?

Guest 4dogscrazy

I mix in Fresh Pet. They absoultely love it and we've seen the factory...spotless. It's made from fresh meats and veggies, you can find it in the refrigerated section in the dog food isle. We have it here in our local grocery store, but higher end pet stores sell it too. Not sure if they have it in AZ, but their website will let you find a retailer. Even my picky picky eater finishes her whole bowl. Great for adding meds when needed. And I am finally putting some weight on the picky spook, she's a fretter so she burns off everything she eats. She's looking good! And it makes their coats very very soft. They will love it!

ETA: I've fed eggs too...no gas here and they love them too!

Edited by 4dogscrazy

Guest FinnsMom

I bought a tube of Fresh Pet once and all it did was give my guy softer poops and super stinky farts. LOL I can't remember if it was chicken based or had chicken in it as we have since discovered that is a no no protein for him. He loves the sweet potato treats they make though.

Edited to add: I did cook an egg for him once though and all he did was sniff it and walk away. Maybe if I scrambled it and mixed it with his breakfast he would eat it.

Edited by FinnsMom

Guest IrskasMom

My Morty loved Fresh Pet mixed in with his Kibble.Because my Store (Safeway) neglectful does not always have it. I Buy Canned Food from Wellness or simply Nourish, or Blue and mix in half Can with Kibbles. He was the most pickiest Eater , not anymore.

You actually don't even have to cook the eggs, although they do like scrambled :) a raw egg mixed with kibble is fine too. I mix in a can of sardines or canned salmon about once a week. Molly will stand on her back legs and hop when she smells that :lol (Costco has a 10 pack of canned salmon, tuna size cans, for about $10)

The only time I use add in's is when one of my seniors stops eating and then I use it until I get them eating again. I would be running a Denny's here to keep up with everyone. Once you add one thing then you find you are adding more and more just to get them to eat. In my opinion, a lot of picky eaters are created by adding things to a dogs kibble, but that's just me.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FawnFan

I bake sweet potatoes for my two. They each get a half mixed into (kind of - I leave it kind of chunky) their kibble. In the past for my bridge hounds, I used to heat up (until just heated - not hot) mixed veggies or peas in the microwave and then leave a little bit of water in the bowl and then use the hand mixer to make it into a thick soup like mixture. This then got added to their kibble. The funny thing with this is that my one female hated string beans. So if I left it whole and didn't pulverize it, she would pick out each string bean, place it on the floor and then eat her meal. Of course my other food hound female would come along and eat the left overs from the floor which was good yet it was pretty funny to watch.

My two males that I have now also love scrambled eggs. And we haven't had any gas issues from it.

ETA: I also agree with Jilly's Mom Judy - adding things in will/can create picky eaters. I don't mind adding stuff in on a regular basis yet I try to be consistent with the foods I do add and not add lots of variety all the time. Because you will need those "special" foods to get the seniors to start eating again. My special foods are liverwurst, cooked beef liver, boiled ham, deli turkey meat and steak.

Edited by FawnFan

I like Greek yogurt a lot. My guys also get cottage cheese, canned chicken, scrambled eggs, and oatmeal. Truman is still a little underweight, so he gets Nutro canned (chicken and oatmeal for sensitive stomachs). Sometimes they just get plain kibble, and when Henry started pulling the 'I can't eat this, it's too boring' thing, I picked his bowl up after 15 minutes. He learned that not every meal is special.

Guest widowcali

Sometimes I mix in shredded cheese, if it's some type of special occasion. But mostly they just get canned pumpkin and yogurt. Fresh Pet is sold at Fry's.

Wanted to add, I agree that add-ins can get out of hand. I add stuff occasionally just because I think plain kibble is boring, but that's more for me than them :lol The girls get raw one meal, and kibble the other, and seem to like both equally.

Edited by Remolacha

I will sometimes mix in sardines, yogurt, or pureed pumpkin. However, I agree that you have to watch or you will create a picky eater. I know that Summit will not turn down a meal even if it is plain so I now do add things in occasionally. Personally though, if I had a dog that refused a plain meal I wouldn't bend to their wishes and add something to the kibble. I'd just take the kibble away after half an hour. If you're not hungry enough to eat then that's fine by me. They'll usually be plenty hungry by dinner time and scarf down a plain meal.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest IrskasMom

The only time I use add in's is when one of my seniors stops eating and then I use it until I get them eating again. I would be running a Denny's here to keep up with everyone. Once you add one thing then you find you are adding more and more just to get them to eat. In my opinion, a lot of picky eaters are created by adding things to a dogs kibble, but that's just me.

Judy , picky Eaters are not born picky, we make them Picky :chow

Guest 4dogscrazy

I will agree that you can make them a bit picky by catering to them. That was not the case for me though. I have a spook, who regularly must be challenged to finish a bowl of food. What I mean is...only if another one of my dogs is hovering over her to try to finish her food, will she eat the whole bowl. And sometimes she just won't. I am no chef, I can barely whip up a meal for me and my kiddo, so it was never ever about me spoiling her appetite with fancy add ins. Mine will eat it plain if that's what I serve. If they don't...they will wait for the next one. I just don't allow my dogs to run everything in my house. The add-in works well for us. I could never find the time to cook for them in the morning before school (starts at 7:30) so the Pet Fresh really works for us on a daily basis. I find that giving them too much will cause soft stools. So between 4 dogs they get half a small roll for breakfast with their kibble. I can see she has gained probably 3 or 4 pounds in the last few months. She is ribby. My vet calls it skinny greyhound syndrome, which is a joke of course. That means we have had her tested for everything and she just burns a lot of calories worrying. I spent years trying to get that dog to eat! Of course, hunting season starts here on Monday...so the blam blam blam of gunshots will probably cause her to lose what she has gained!!

I actually have a totally different opinion than many in that I think dogs (or any animal) benefit from experiencing different smells, textures, and variety as long as it is healthy and appropriate. I love to make up different meals for the pups and watch them enjoy it. BUT, be warned...if you do it, there's no going back! It isn't that difficult to add in a bit of extras each day though, remember dogs eat mostly by smell rather than taste so your dog will probably gobble up the food with just a small amount.

IMO any protein is great to mix in (canned fish, liver, meat scraps, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt). I also sometimes feed my pups smaller amounts of my dinner if it is dog friendly (pasta, rice, veggies, potatoes etc.) although Teague won't have anything to do with this unless it's meat!

Edited by RedHead

Guest Carstel

I mix in canned pumpkin often because it's CHEAP, especially when I stock up after the holidays are done and stores want to get rid of the excess! Raw eggs with shell (I crush it up or else they take the shell to the carpet to crunch up), yogurt, cottage cheese, canned fishes, oatmeal, shredded greens, carrot shavings, pureed veggies and fruits and blueberries are all things I do occasionally, particularly if there's a good sale on some of those. I'll also do things like plain applesauce, but that one is a rarity because it's so costly.

Guest OPointyDog

I like roast beef sandwiches but don't like the chewy edges of the deli meat that comes on the roast beef. So I cut it off, chop it up into little bits, and mix it into Zoe's food with a little water and half a packet of foritflora so that it makes a broth. She loves it and eats right away. I see it as a win-win! (Our vet thinks it's hilarious and wonders why I don't go for the London broil instead....)

She also very occasionally gets pumpkin, sweet potato, scrambled egg, or beef broth mixed into her kibble. She gets pumpkin frozen into a kong, too.