Sa - But Only In Regards To One Person?

Guest falconschild

Guest falconschild

It seems Monster has a little problem. It would appear that he has SA of almost epic proportions in regards to Allan. He flips out literally five seconds after the door closes on my husband when he leaves and starts pacing, panting, and trying to do the recliner trick, refusing to settle down. I can get him to settle (usually), but only for relatively short periods of time. He immediately becomes a relative angel the second Allan comes home and walks in the fence/front door. It almost seems like he doesn't much care if I'm there or not, even though I'm the one feeding both him and Huck now.

So...do we need to treat this like there wasn't a second dog in the household who gets the idea that, even if we leave, we always come back, or is there something else we can do to ease Monster's upset while we work on alone training? Any help would be greatly appreciated - because the big guy sees nothing wrong with waking me up at night when he gets nervous.

Guest grey_dreams

Yes, they can get more attached to one person in the house and display SA when that person leaves, even if others are still there. This happened with me and Zuki, who would flip out when I left even though my partner was home (but Zuki was fine when my partner left and I was home). Just have to get Allen to work really hard on alone training for Monster, so that Monster will learn that Allen always comes back. Be sure to do the incremental leaving procedure (starting with just going through the door and coming back in) spread over a number of days. In the meantime, you can try standard remedies to alleviate the short-term stress, like a DAP collar, melatonin, rescue remedy.

Edited by grey_dreams

Yep, Allen will need to work on along training with him. I like Patricia McConnell's I'll Be Home Soon for a good rundown on how to do it. Good luck!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."