Ugh Capillaria Again!

Guest Eyeblaura

Guest Eyeblaura

When we got Enzo last January his stool tested positive for Cappilaria. He wasn't symptomatic but we treated him with 14 days of panacur. I took him in to the vet a little ahead of schedule this year for his yearly exam and vaccinations because he was due for his rabies and just got a call from the vet that his stool came back positive for capillaria again. Again he isn't symptomatic at all (she said the most common symptom is coughing, he will occasionally reverse sneeze but it's probably not even once a month I hear him do this) and she recommends another round of panacur. Is this something that others have treated with panacur and gotten rid off? I find it odd he has it again, we don't have other dogs, he doesn't eat his own feces (although he does eat rabbit poop). I will say they didn't do a repeat stool culture after the last round of panacur and maybe we should do that.

Haven't heard of this but found info that it's usually found in feed and water that is contaminated with the eggs. Does he drink from puddles or a pond? Could also be that the last treatment just didn't get them.

Merck Vet Manual

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Eyeblaura

I can't say that he hasn't ever drank from a stream, I've never seen him drink from a puddle. By far the majority of his water consumption comes from our tap.

Probably whipworm, not capillaria. You need to worm a couple of times, over @ 3 months, to get rid of whipworms.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Eyeblaura

I'll have to ask, both times they've come back positive for capillaria and they have said it is rare in dogs. I don't know who is reading the sample, we did have to treat whip worm in our previous dog when we first got her but that was years ago. We did a dose of something else last year too for tape worm (I can't remember the name right now but it was a one time thing) and he has always been on a preventative was on interceptor and is now on Trifexis as a monthly medication.

The only thing I am aware of him consuming that isn't part of our fed diet is rabbit poop and he has caught a rabbit before and I think he ate the head, by the time I figured out what he had only the body was left.

The vet called and left me a message yesterday and I tried to return her call today but she is off today and tomorrow so I will talk to her on Monday.

Edited by Eyeblaura

Robin had that a year ago, but he was definitely symptomatic at the time. They said the same thing about it being rare, and my Vet even consulted with someone else to discuss recommendations. We did a round of panacur, but we didn't retest after. I ended up wishing we did, because four months later he came up positive for them again and we did another round of panacur. If w had retested, i would've known if the meds worked and he got then again, or if they just weren't gotten the first time. Fingers crossed, he's been fine since.

Robin had that a year ago, but he was definitely symptomatic at the time. They said the same thing about it being rare, and my Vet even consulted with someone else to discuss recommendations. We did a round of panacur, but we didn't retest after. I ended up wishing we did, because four months later he came up positive for them again and we did another round of panacur. If w had retested, i would've known if the meds worked and he got then again, or if they just weren't gotten the first time. Fingers crossed, he's been fine since.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest Eyeblaura

Thanks we are going to treat him again and then retest him after. He is not symptomatic at all.

How long did you do the panacur? She is only recommending 7 days, which is what we did last year too and I'm wondering if we need longer.