Needs Dental, But Vet Won't Do W/o Dhlpp Vaccine

Guest greysmitten

I find that totally bizarre. Summer's vet was more than happy to administer her vaccination shot (what they call a DA2PP) and then certify it for 3 years. And that's up north in Barrie, not the most forward thinking place but still, I guess, within the GTA. Guess that might be making the difference.

How bad are the teeth? If they aren't very dirty, check and see if anyone i your area does it without an anesthetic. Summer just had hers done at a groomer in Barrie and anesthetic free! The lady trained in the US and did a LOT of greyhounds -- she trained/worked with a greyhound rescue. $80.00. But if you need extractions, etc., then this isn't the choice for you.

Hey, that sounds like it may be an option! She doesn't need extractions, just a good scaling. Thanks!

I absolutely disagree! You would be simply grooming the crowns--not performing a proper dentistry. The woman doing these "dentals" should be banned from such services. There is quite a movement right now to make these "services" illegal. You would be doing your hound a disservice.

#7 http://www.greyhoundadoptionofoh.org/Greyhound_Health_Packet_08.pdf

This particular lady doesn't do just that. She scales and polishes, too. She does not go up under the gums, however, which is why I wouldn't take a very dirty mouth to her (or anyone who does this). If she thinks vet attention is required, she will be the first to say so. With care, this can be a very good addition to your hounds health and wellness. But you need to choose wisely and don't assume that this is all that is ever needed.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Regarding the validity of an extended interval vaccination protocol, perhaps you could show the vet the AAHA Vaccination Guidelines. I'd also suggest actually speaking with the vet about your concerns, even if that means making an appointment, and not just taking the receptionist's word about what is required. Receptionists are often trained to follow specific protocols, but many vets are willing to make exceptions if the issue is discussed with them.

Also keep in mind that a cheaper dental isn't necessarily equal to a more expensive one. Often, you're paying for the services and monitoring performed, and many low cost dentals come at the expense of cutting corners that may compromise the quality and safety of the procedure.

Like tbhounds, I also disagree with 'anesthetic free' dental cleaning. If the woman isn't even trying to go up under the gumline, she's just performing a cosmetic procedure with absolutely no health benefits. To effectively remove the plaque and tartar contributing to periodontal disease, you need to get under the gumline. This is not a comfortable process (as most people know from our own dental cleanings), and most dogs are not going to allow scaling effectively under the gumline without anesthesia. If only the visible build-up is removed from the crowns of the teeth, it may create a misleading appearance of clean teeth while periodontal disease continues to progress below the gumline.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest TBSFlame

Interesting. I just called another local vets office (who told me they have many clients with alternative vaccine schedules) and they encouraged me to call my own vet back and explain again!

The difference is that I live in Canada, so dentals are about $400. My regular vet is in Michigan and dentals are $153.

I need to go to Michigan. I live in North Carolina and dentals are 400+ here. My vet does want them done every year but I say no. We have had several conversations about shots and he has given up. lol.

Guest greysmitten

I find that totally bizarre. Summer's vet was more than happy to administer her vaccination shot (what they call a DA2PP) and then certify it for 3 years. And that's up north in Barrie, not the most forward thinking place but still, I guess, within the GTA. Guess that might be making the difference.

How bad are the teeth? If they aren't very dirty, check and see if anyone i your area does it without an anesthetic. Summer just had hers done at a groomer in Barrie and anesthetic free! The lady trained in the US and did a LOT of greyhounds -- she trained/worked with a greyhound rescue. $80.00. But if you need extractions, etc., then this isn't the choice for you.

Hey, that sounds like it may be an option! She doesn't need extractions, just a good scaling. Thanks!

I absolutely disagree! You would be simply grooming the crowns--not performing a proper dentistry. The woman doing these "dentals" should be banned from such services. There is quite a movement right now to make these "services" illegal. You would be doing your hound a disservice.

#7 http://www.greyhoundadoptionofoh.org/Greyhound_Health_Packet_08.pdf

Yes, I have some reservations. Plus, I highly doubt that a city this size has such a specialized service, frankly. But it'll be good information to know.

Non-anesthetic teeth cleaning is a useful PART of healthcare. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that it takes the place of a vet dental. But it can help with the whole overall dental care. I don't want anyone to think that it is the same or better than a vet dental, it is not. You still need to make sure that you and your vet are keeping an eye on things and that the vet is also aware that this was done, so that they still look closely at the gums and pockets.

Lisa B.

Just noticed you said "needs dental". If you're already at "needs", I would go with a vet dental. But in between "needful" dentals, you could certainly do a non-anesthic cleaning. That's MY plan, anyway, for Summer. She already had the vet dental earlier and I've kept on top of it. I like sweet smelling breath, LOL.

Lisa B.