Pepcid Ac

Josie

Last month Otis cut his paw.. now it's all healed :)

He had to take 2 rounds of antibiotics to make sure no infection starts..

but now he has heartburns and little reflux.. :(

(we did a worm test to make sure and it's negative)

The vet says to give Pepcid AC 10mg 2 times daily, before meals.

What's your experiences with pepcid?

Do you think it will be a permanent medication?

Should I also check if his food is a cause in his heartburns and maybe change something or add anything? (he is on raw.. mostly poultry)

Edited by Josie

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

We gave Pepcid AC to our greyhound Faye Oops when she was taking various medications when she had osteo. We've also given it to our other dogs on other occasions - usually when they had an upset tummy related to other medications. No negative affects. I'd discontinue as soon as his belly is back to normal.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

thanks!

The vet wanted to switch Otis to special kibbles for sensitive stomac...

as usual the vet was not that happy when I told him we fed raw.. :violin

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Time to find a new vet ;)

Any lectures regarding the feeding of my dogs promptly gets them fired. Although I also do not bring up that we feed raw unless directly asked. They don't have to agree but are not allowed to talk down to me.

Our current vet was gushing about their teeth, coat, and weight (she worked at NGAP for 10 years so has seen tons of greyhounds) She asked if we brushed daily and I told her that we actually never brush teeth. That was dropped until the next vet visit, where she asked me directly what I did for their teeth. I swear she must have made a note in our chart to ask me! :rofl She said that at this rate 8yr old Rainy will never need a dental and what did we do to keep her teeth in such great shape? I told her we feed the raw prey model diet plus have a nightly chewy hour with a large rotation of treats that work those jaws so they don't get bored. I could tell by the look on her face she wasn't thrilled, so I told her we did extensive research and make sure we rotate protein and organ sources to get all the required vitamins and so far it's working greyt! Not another word was spoken about it.

------

Jessica

My Dustin has horrible belly issues, so we have put him on that same dose on a long-term basis. He has no trouble with it! Good luck!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

but now he has heartburns and little reflux.. :(

What signs is he showing, and how was this diagnosed?

What's your experiences with pepcid?

Do you think it will be a permanent medication?

It's a good, safe medication, but before keeping a dog on it long term, I'd want to make sure there wasn't an underlying cause that can be addressed.

Time to find a new vet ;)

Any lectures regarding the feeding of my dogs promptly gets them fired.

I can understand this if your dogs are healthy and doing well, but if the dog is having problems like in the OP's case, I think it's quite appropriate to suggest trying a diet change. I'm not familiar with raw feeding so can't comment on how common it is to see GI upset with dogs on this diet, or how it can be adjusted to address "heartburn and reflux".

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

symptomes:

excessif gurggling sounds after meal or drinking

excessif swallowing (like if small amount of food is coming up)

waking up in the midle of the night and walking all around not wanting to lay back to sleep (resolve by giving yogurt to calm his gurggling)

regurgitates small amount of water after drinking

all this started after the anbiotics...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

I wonder if esophagitis is contributing to the problem. Consider asking the vet to treat with a course of sucralfate (Carafate) and see if that helps resolve the issue. The sucralfate needs to be given in a suspension, or the pill dissolved in water for it to coat the esophagus and stomach.

Jennifer &

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Otis is doing greyt now! sleeps all night, no more weird burping or gurggling sounds :yay

but I dont know what to do.. slowly cut from 2 to 1 pills a day?

Switch to an other more natural thing?

I wanted to start giving probiotics.. should help..

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Guest OurLacyandJax

I was told just now by my vet to give 20 mg twice before food. Meaning a total of 40mg for a dog weighing 62 lbs.

I am not so sure about that.

What kinda dosages are acceptable? Lacy is on Doxycycline and Prednisone right now.

I wouldn't worry too much about cutting back from 20mg to 10mg a day right away. Merlin has been on 20mg famotidine a day for well over a year. He has never had any side effects. (I give him the generic stuff now as it's cheaper than Pepcid.) Of course every dog is different. What is your vet suggesting?

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I was told just now by my vet to give 20 mg twice before food. Meaning a total of 40mg for a dog weighing 62 lbs.

I am not so sure about that.

What kinda dosages are acceptable? Lacy is on Doxycycline and Prednisone right now.

Typical dose for famotidine (Pepcid AC) is 0.5-1 mg/kg given every 12-24 hrs. For a 62 lb dog, 20 mg twice daily falls right in the middle of this range.

Jennifer &

gtsig3.jpg