Homemade Training Treats- Help For The Non-Domestic Grey Owner!

a_daerr

Truman has gradually becoming less interested in the hot dogs and cheese we've been using for training. But last week during class, he went nuts over the instructor's chicken. I decided it might be time to step up my treats. I went to the supermarket and bought boneless/skinless chicken breasts, pre-cubed beef, and a tube (is that what you call it?) of liverwurst. Problem is... I'm a terrible cook, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. We don't eat meat at home because DB is a vegetarian. And when I do bland diet for the dogs, I usually use canned chicken. Now I'm scratching my head thinking, "Do I boil it, bake it, cook it in a pan?" Also, what the heck am I supposed to do with the wurst?

I boil mine, just take the chicken breast and skin in leave the bone on until after its cooked, the let cool, debone and cut up in small pieces. You can also place the pieces on a cookie sheet and freeze then place in little zip lock bags.

Guest Nycelle

Take the liverwurst, a little garlic & some grated parmesean-whirl it in the blender/food processor. Drop it in small bits on a sheet & freeze. I don't even defrost it & Hillary goes nuts for them

You can definitely boil the chicken. When it's done it'll shred into little pieces with just a fork. You can also pick up a dehydrator pretty cheaply. Pound the chicken (or whatever meat) flat, leave them to dry overnight. It's like doggie crack.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Truman has gradually becoming less interested in the hot dogs and cheese we've been using for training. But last week during class, he went nuts over the instructor's chicken.

you could just cheat and go buy a cooked chicken at the supermarket and cut up for treats

I buy whole chicken or chicken thighs (they're cheaper!) and boil them for about an hour. You don't need to do it for that long, but it gets really tender that way and easy to pull apart. You can roast a chicken in the oven if you like but boiling is easier. If you want a little extra aroma you can even throw a carrot or herbs in the water. BTW don't throw away the water after! It makes a great broth for soup, or the pups will love it if you pour a bit over their food :)

Guest jenniferk

I also don't eat meat. The first time I bought chicken drumsticks (even the cage-free, organic kind are super cheap) I boiled them for about 10-15 minutes. The second time I bought a cooked rotisserie chicken. You get a lot of chicken for the price BUT the process of getting all the meat off of the carcass was absolutely disgusting. I did boil the bones in water afterward to make chicken broth to pour on his kibble though. I also have a dehydrator & dehydrated pieces of salmon for his training treats.

I have used human-grade beef jerky (in tiny pieces) as a high-motivation treat (working on recall.) Not messy, you can buy it at any convenience store, and Greta loves it.