Ear Goo

Guest Alysmom

Guest Alysmom

Hi --

Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone has any suggestions --

Winnie has ear goo.... Homer had clean, pink ears all the time. Winnie gets brown goo in her ears. I clean them every other day when I brush her teeth. I had a beagle years ago that had ear goo (common for heavy-eared dogs) and I had to do the liquid ear wash with her. Winnie is so sensitive, I don't want to have to go there. We are able to keep the ears clean with cotton swabs every other day, but I was wondering if there is any treatment (food sensitivity??) or some reason it occurs other than some dogs just have it??? Any suggestions on prevention, or is this just her biology?

Thanks!!!

Julie

If it's not a yeast infection, it may be allergy-related. I had one dog who'd start shaking her head and pawing her ears at certain times of the year (July/August and grass pollen), and Benadryl would clear that up.

I don't know why, but my boy's ears are so clean they only need occasional dusting. All three of my girls have had the gunky, head-shaking stuff.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest snowmo18

I know this sounds gross..but smell the ear goo...if its a sour yeasty smell...its probably yeast infection..little trick I learned from the vet. My girl's one ear had it, but not the other

Two girls with squeeky clean ears and one I have to clean almost weekly. Checked by the vet and she has no problems, just dirty ears! Guess I should be grateful, but I hate cleaning ears :puke

Are her ears itchy? Does she shake her head or scratch/rub at her ears? Is there an odor?

If the answer to all the above questions is no, then it's probably just normal ear wax. Some dogs just seem to have more than others. If the answer to any of the questions is yes, then there's probably an infection that needs to be treated, as well as an underlying allergy.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Alysmom

Thanks as always for all the greyt advice!!!! She doesn't shake her head or scratch -- I just notice that there is some brown goo every couple of days in her ears. Not abnormally stinky, but smells like dirty dog ears. She does like it when I clean it out, so I am guessing accumulation of it gets itchy. If it gets further "stinky" I will take her to the vet....

I've had two vet visits already this week with two of my cats ($$$$). Other than Winnie, all the critters around here are oldsters and those vet bills keep cropping up..... Today one of my horses somehow got out of his stall and spent about two hours in the alfalfa (yikes) so all day today and late tonight I am on horse watch to make sure nothing goes wrong there (scary, and a huge bill if something goes bad!!!) I get up before daylight to take care of the blind horse, so likely I didnt get his stall door latched....I feel completely awful....

Anyway, thanks for the info.... I will keep an eye on it!!!

Julie

Two girls with squeeky clean ears and one I have to clean almost weekly. Checked by the vet and she has no problems, just dirty ears! Guess I should be grateful, but I hate cleaning ears :puke

I'm with you on that for sure!!! :puke (What we don't do for our animals though!!)

I swear by this stuff; VET ear cleaning solution

http://www.epinions....5201673860?sb=1

Of course a vet will be the best to confirm if there is an infection of some sort!

Sounds like a good way to clean the ears --- thanks!

I actually don't recommend cleaning ears - as in putting the solution directly into the ear canal - unless the dog is prone to ear infections. The Vet Solutions ear cleaner is great for dogs who are prone to yeast infections. If the dog has normal ear wax and no infections, I just recommend gently cleaning the wax out of the visible parts of the ear without getting any cleaning solution into the ear canals. Excess moisture within the ear canal can potentially cause problems where there weren't any before. JMO - others may feel differently.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg