Urine Ph

Guest Joan

My lovely girl Darcy suffered a urinary tract infection with lots of crystals. After a round of antibiotics this was cleared up but her urine PH is still off. The vet gave me two choices, one being Ammonil pills the other Hill's prescription dog food. As I am not a fan of HIll's I've chosen the pills. She is now on 7 pills a day and I will take a sample for recheck next week. My Vet left me with the impression that this will now be a lifelong maintenance dose. Does anyone out there know why Hill's and Purina are the only ones making these types of foods? I'm looking for other options. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure the infection is completely cleared? Was a urine culture done to confirm?

What type of crystals did she have when she had the infection. Does she still have a lot of crystals now, and has she been x-rayed to check for bladder stones?

What is her regular diet?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

She had struvite crystals (a lot) with an infection. She was not X rayed as the infection cleared. He did not do a culture but looked under a microscope for bacteria and crystals after a round of antibiotics and found neither. Her PH was 8 before the Ammonil, 7 after a week of Ammonil which has now been increased and I have to go back again next week for another PH check. She is 6 years old and this is her first infection. Thanks for responding.

I forgot to mention diet. Right now she is eating Pure Vita. I switched 2 months ago from Canidae and Taste of the Wild. I switched only because I got some coupons.

Ideally, you should do a urine culture to confirm that the infection is completely cleared, and if you're concerned about it, do x-rays to make sure she doesn't have bladder stones.

Urinary pH can vary, and it often isn't significant unless there's an active infection, or the dog has a history of bladder stones. If Darcy's urination habits are back to normal, and the vet didn't see struvite crystals in the recheck urinalysis, I personally wouldn't worry about it. A high urine pH in itself isn't necessarily a problem.

The most common causes for a high pH is infection or diet. IMO, prescription foods or meds that influence urine ph usually aren't necessary in dogs unless they have/had bladder stones. There are a couple fairly uncommon kidney issues that can cause a persistently high pH, but much less likely to be the case.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg