Boarding My Sweet Dog-Trepidation And Guilt

Guest LauraB

We are leaving tomorrow for 8 days. A friend will be in the house, but she can't manage a dog, so my poor sweet dog is going to be boarded. To be fair, it's cage free and incredibly expensive. The owner has several fenced in fields and she studies which dogs go together. At night they sleep in the house. He was there once for 3 nights and it was fine. But, will he forget us? Will he be happier there and disappointed when we show up? Will he have SA and I'll have guilt? This is worse than leaving my human babies at nursery school the first time. Have I lost my mind?

He won't forget you............he'll probably have a blast; everybody needs a vacation. But there's "no place like home."

I speak from experience....last spring I left a 14 yo with a friend for a l-o-n-g weekend and suffered much guilt.

But he had a blast, made several new friends, and slept like the dead for a week after we got home.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Oh...no advice....just thinking of you....Guilt is so horrible...but it comes with the territory of love!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

We have boarded Rocket for as much as 3 weeks. I don't dare ask him if he'd rather come home or stay at the place with all of the other hounds and fenced football field to run on. I know what his answer would be, and it would be lonely here without him. :bgeorge

He is always glad to see us show back up, but he just about pulls our arms off with the leash trying to get inside the building when we drop him off. He loves being boarded and all of the extra playtime he gets. You will miss your hound much more than he will miss you, but he will be happy to see you when you get back.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

... slept like the dead for a week after we got home.

This. Be prepared for it!

yup, and if they don't then i would be concerned. remember ARGOS from the oddesy??? he never forgot homer!

Unfortunately, I believe he died after he greeted his master. But perhaps I shouldn't mention that....

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

... slept like the dead for a week after we got home.

This. Be prepared for it!

yup, and if they don't then i would be concerned. remember ARGOS from the oddesy??? he never forgot homer!

Unfortunately, I believe he died after he greeted his master. But perhaps I shouldn't mention that....

yeah, but how long was homer gone??? all of us should have greys that last that long :gh_bow

....... Have I lost my mind?

I mean this with all due respect.

Yes, you have lost your mind!! Completely :P

Have a great vacation and check in if you feel the need to...but chances are good your pupper will have a great time and be happy to see you when you arrive. No guilt needed anywhere!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I hound sit in my home and some dogs have a rough first 24 hours but not many. They all have a blast but are happy to go home and I'm happy when they are excited to go home :lol

He will be fine.

I always send email or text updates every day- you can ask for those as well if you want to keep an eye on how he's doing.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I think the kind of boarding you're doing is absolutely the best kind, if available. Don't forget, dogs don't have the same sense of time we do, so if he was just fine for three days, I'm sure he'll be fine for eight--usually if there's a problem with anxiety or refusing to eat, it happens right away. I know he'll be happy to see you. If it helps, think of it like sending a kid to camp--that's how it was with Patrick--he loved to go hang out with the other greyhounds, play in a bigger yard, but he was always thrilled to see us again and go home at the end.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest iLoveLucie

I think it is so much harder for us vs. the hounds. And it is really so heart warming when they get excited to see us when you pick them up. And then they sleep. And sleep. And sleep.

The only thinge we have learned from occasionally boarding our dogs is our pickier eater boy will sometimes not eat in new/unfamiliar places for a few days. So last time we brought some extra goodies for the "dog hotel" folks to add to his food to entice him - yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken broth - and that seemed to help. And even when we didn't do this, he'd eventually get hungry and eat - or eat like a piggy when back home so no long term damage done.